You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel--New for 2020

Started by suspsy, July 23, 2019, 07:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Faelrin on June 15, 2020, 11:40:22 PMI got mine off Amazon

I'm talking about people finding it (or anything else new) in physical stores for retail.

The listings on Amazon currently are all significantly higher than the $15 retail price. I personally wasn't going to consider spending so much more for the Edmontosaurus, especially when I can't inspect multiple copies in-person first for any "googly eye" misprints. I dislike badly misprinted eyes on my figures; they are all too common.

Good luck on your hunt, Darko2300! Wear your mask!  ;)

Takama

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on June 15, 2020, 11:06:08 PM
Quick scan of the close-ish Target and Walmart in my area of central Washington today turned up zero new merchandise, so I'm happy I decided to grab Edmontosaurus yesterday, even though Fred Meyer charges $5 more for the Sound Strike figures than elsewhere. I know, I shouldn't complain when others are probably paying much more (although people should really just be patient...) for the Edmontosaurus. It is definitely worth every bit of the $19.99 I paid.

So has anyone else been finding Edmontosaurus in the US? I was surprised to find it myself because there's been no word here on the forum, unless it was quickly buried and I missed it.

The only time i Saw an Edmontosaurus was Back in March, and that was the ONLY Time i found any new stuff worth buying in my region. I snathced it up because i had no idea how bad things would be Distribution wise. ::)

this year has been frustrating for me.

In other news, i scored a Sauropelta for $9.99 on Amazon, and now all thats left are souless Scalpers ::)

MoarCrossovers

A Majungasaurus has been spotted in the UK. Don't know where or who found it, but there's a pictures, so it's out there in some capacity.

CityRaptor

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on June 16, 2020, 12:27:39 AM
The listings on Amazon currently are all significantly higher than the $15 retail price. I personally wasn't going to consider spending so much more for the Edmontosaurus, especially when I can't inspect multiple copies in-person first for any "googly eye" misprints. I dislike badly misprinted eyes on my figures; they are all too common.

Well, 19.99 Euros is the regular price here in Germany. Got mine with a coupon for a price close to your US one. And she is still cheaper than Safari's here at full price, which cost 7 Euros more.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 16, 2020, 11:56:36 PM
Well, 19.99 Euros is the regular price here in Germany. Got mine with a coupon for a price close to your US one. And she is still cheaper than Safari's here at full price, which cost 7 Euros more.

Yeah, I bought my Edmontosaurus off the shelf for $20 (your 20 euro was a better deal ;)), and wouldn't have been happy paying much more. Most places here (Walmart, Target) sell it for $14.99, but you gotta find one! Amazon has Edmontosaurus for $28-$30 USD, prices at which I would start to feel foolish paying. But that's just me. I'm definitely not in this hobby to get rich!

Still, it's annoying how some retailers here are able to sell it on the shelf for 25% above the regular US price. Unfortunately my only local big box store is one of these, and they seem to be killing it with most of the new releases, too.

Faelrin

I'm kind of beating the fossilized horse here, but I realized earlier today that the film version of the Sinoceratops is still based on Pachyrhinosaurus (lakustai to be specific), even if the artistic license and/or lack of research has led it to vaguely resemble it.

There was a new post today of the subject matter on the dinotoys subreddit (r/dinotoys), and I was in the middle of writing up a response regarding what I knew about it (mainly what I previously posted here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8058.msg251567#msg251567), while comparing the Fallen Kingdom Sinoceratops to the real Sinoceratops' reconstructed skeleton, and that's when it stood out to me that this was (or rather still is) truly intended to be a Pachyrhinosaurus, despite what was (likely) a last minute name change. It still features the horns on the middle of the frill, that are characteristic of P. lakustai, not Sinoceratops, and it still sort of has the nasal bosses under the horn. This is even more apparent on the concept art (and the early model/render of it from Jama Jurabaev).

Of course the big issue with it is the number, placement, and size of the horns on the frill (especially on the finalized film model), in combination with the exposed fenestra (though even that too resembles P. lakustai still), which now has it vaguely resembling Sinoceratops, as well as the horn in the middle or off of the nasal boss (which although would not be the first time a Pachyrhinosaurus has been done as such). The shape of the skull (the nose and mouth region specifically, such as the size and shape of the nostrils and beak) also resembles Pachyrhinosaurus more then that of Sinoceratops.

I don't know if anyone is planning on getting the new figure and reviewing it for the blog here (I mean if not I'll try to bite the bullet once its released and I have my hands on it), but it may be worth pointing that out, as well as the muddled history this thing has had. The recent thread on the the dinotoys subreddit and my response to it has the evidence (along with some speculation, based upon the evidence).

https://old.reddit.com/r/DinoToys/comments/hb7iuo/the_pachyrhinosaurussinoceratops_debacle_explained/

So uh we've basically ended up with yet another Velociraptor situation (in that the film animal is more based off of Deinonychus then Velociraptor, and has many anatomical issues alongside lots of artistic license with it), or perhaps like the Dilophosaurus. On the other hand I suppose such an awkward looking beast is probably fitting for this franchise, what with all the animals having been genetically tampered with to begin with (despite the unfortunate side effect of people thinking this is what the real animals would have been like too).

Edit: By the way, I forgot to share earlier what my three closest Target stores looked like when I went hunting earlier this week for new stuff. The only thing new I found was the Super Colossal Indominus rex.

Spoiler

[close]

As you can see all three stores (the images in the spoiler) are overstocked up on (if not outright backed up on) way too many shelfwarming Lockwood Battle and Dinosaur Trainer Owen figures (I did see a couple of Wheatley's though). Kind of no surprise the human figures sold poorly overall when you still have these things clogging shelf space 3 years later (I seriously don't know why they don't just clearance those off already). There was also a plethora of last year's last wave of Savage Strikes, and mostly some left over Pteranodon and Triceratops (from last year and this year), which if I had to guess probably also have been shelfwarming.

Granted I know the pandemic has not helped things one bit distribution and/or stock wise (though there is an alarming amount of folks not taking this seriously in my area), but if hunting the past two prior years has taught me anything, this is not strictly something the pandemic has caused, although it probably made it a lot worse. Granted they might also be doing a toy reset soon (hence the largely empty shelves), so hopefully my patience in continuing to wait pays off.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

News about the "Escape from Isla Nublar" set: https://www.collectjurassic.com/061920-2/

It will be a target exclusive in the US

Maybe this pack it the first try for Mattel to try to bring human figurse back to the shelves that we talked about sometime ago. Gotta say the pack is very tempting, specially for the banner and the raptors (those metallic green eyes), but unless I find a reasonably priced and direct way of getting one that it is not ebay, I don´t think I will.

Besides, I will end up with two Hammonds and two Elies, and while I could easily sell my previous Ellie, Hammond would be a different story since it an exclusive version...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well it looks nice I might get one if cheap enough but it will stay in the package which displays well as is

Flaffy

Really hope Mattel makes enough of these so that everyone can get a set at a reasonable price.

Darko2300

This set looks great, but I still can't stand that awful crouching raptor sculpt...  ;D

Faelrin

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Thank you for sharing this news. Goodness I would love to get my hands on two, at least to just to keep one boxed. It looks absolutely fantastic. The raptors are looking absolutely great too, even if their patterns, etc are not perfect (but to be expected on such a small figure really). I definitely got my wish after last year for a 3.75 scale JP raptor after the Amber Collection one was released.

Also would you like any assistance with this one? I'm already planning to help my friend in Germany get one.

Gwangi

This is some of the best packaging I've seen from Mattel thus far, and this is coming from someone that very rarely keeps the packaging. I would also be tempted to keep them packaged as is. And it's great to finally see some JP style raptors. I haven't bought a single Mattel raptor thus far because I've been waiting for these.

Faelrin

So the facts app got an update today. Collect Jurassic shared some pics and videos of Bumpy (who is way too adorable):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBo-mJTF6CR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I did notice that none of the Camp Cretaceous dinosaurs seem to be there (which is much like how the BaBR ones didn't get "added" until much later, though could still be scanned in), but perhaps that should not be too surprising since the show isn't supposed to be out for a few more months (despite the merch already hitting stores, and was shown at NY Toy Fair). Seems kind of slow too for me, but may just be my device and/or that it needs a ton of cleaning done on it.

Nothing new in there yet (though might be worth mentioning that both of the Legacy JP raptors will have separate scan codes it seems).

Darko2300

Found the Camp Cretaceous Rex and Colossal Indominus at Target (Spokane, WA) yesterday. No sign of the new Snap Squad, however.  :-\ I did pick up one of the Rexes, though I'm still kind of on the fence. Something about the snout just seems a little 'elongated' or stretched? I keep coming back to the Extreme Chompin as my favorite headsculpt.

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Darko2300 on June 20, 2020, 02:50:11 PM
No sign of the new Snap Squad, however.

Considering how different these Snap Squad figures are from the rest of the JW lineup, I've been intrigued by their popularity.

My Fred Meyer is brimming with these right now, so I decided to pick up the little Spinosaurus the other day and for what it is, it's a pretty great toy! At first I was confused by the loose arm and leg articulation, but I think that just helps to make the little critter look like it's dangling off of whatever it's chomped on to. Pretty funny.

I might have to grab that Mosasaurus too, I can see it dangling from the rope on my river inner tube during some fun lake parties with friends this summer. I think the main thing that motivated me however was seeing that there is a Snap Squad Parasaurolophus coming. Have to have that too!

MLMjp

Thanks for the offer avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, but my current situation doesn't allow me to be as active in collecting as I used to be before the pandemic, and I have other priorities. There is also the possibility of this set actually reaching my country.

I will send you a PM in case I decide that I want it and cannot found it in my country.

Changing the subjet: I am the only one who doesn't like bumpy (the toy)? I get that it is a baby and it has to look cute, but damn! It´s head is ginormous and it´s tail almost non-existent!

Dilopho

Quote from: MLMjp on June 21, 2020, 12:38:12 AM
Changing the subjet: I am the only one who doesn't like bumpy (the toy)? I get that it is a baby and it has to look cute, but damn! It´s head is ginormous and it´s tail almost non-existent!
Same. I mean, cmon...The joint in the tail takes up literally half of the tail. That's how small it is!

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: MLMjp on June 21, 2020, 12:38:12 AMI am the only one who doesn't like bumpy (the toy)? I get that it is a baby and it has to look cute, but damn! It´s head is ginormous and it´s tail almost non-existent!

I have to chime in here and say, that figure is really pushing it for me too. On one hand, I'll probably buy it when I see it because it's a cheap new "character" dinosaur in Camp Cretaceous, but on the other hand yeah, it looks like a cartoon. I mean, the Snap Squad figures are their own thing, but the Bumpy figure is supposed to be in the same line/scale as the Tarbosaurus, Ceratosaurus (figures that don't look so "chibi") and humans.

Bumpy does look out of place. It's like one of the Fisher-Price dino figures found a way into the main collector line. I get why they did it, Bumpy is in an animated kids' show, but I do really hope that he is the only dinosaur in the entire show with such wildly exaggerated features.

suspsy

Yes, Bumpy's design really doesn't fit with the rest of the toys. It looks like it belongs in a separate Playskool line for younger dino fans.

There's only been three ankylosaurs thus far in the Mattel line, and none of them have been all that spectacular. It would be great to see a Tarchia or a Pinacosaurus done at the Sound Strike scale.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

My issue with Bumpy is the size. The attack pack range feels too large for an infant ankylosaurus, especially when compared to the adult roarivore offerings. I guess we haven't seen any official images from the show, so I'm not sure how exactly he/she is supposed to scale up to the children characters, but with the maisie figure to go off of as a baseline for how large the kids are meant to be in this 3.75" line, I think it's safe to say that bumpy is way too big.
I honestly think the blind bag mini of bumpy would be closer to scale to both the children sized figures and the ankylosaurus roarivores.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: