You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is the greatest length you've gone to for a dinosaur?

Started by Primeval12, September 30, 2019, 02:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

Alright. I had an adventure today. I took a 2 hour train ride (two ways!) in order to secure a Battat Diplodocus. This had me thinking. What is the greatest length you've gone to for a dinosaur toy? I wanna hear all your stories.

BlueKrono

I drove to Moundsville, WV three times (a distance of about 2,000 miles each time) just to view the Marx Kronosaurus white test shot on display in the museum there. After the Marx Toy Museum went out of business I was able to buy it from him for an exorbitant sum.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

australovenator

I traveled to Japan to purchase a couple of Favorite figures from a museum gift shop in Tokyo  ;)
Ok, so it's not the only reason I went, but still  ;D

I also spent around $70 AUD on a Kenner Cyclops raptor purely out of nostalgia for the figure.

Halichoeres

I move a lot, and during one of my recent moves I drove the box truck a couple of hours out of my way and bought someone's whole collection to get the last few Play Visions figures I wanted. I'm still trying to sell off the excess.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

For me it was probably going out of my way to ask various folks to help me get things in different countries without me having to resort to ebay, including avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek here, for the Mattel JW blue raptor Destruct-A-Saurs set, a friend from Germany I met on reddit (who actually asked me about buying the extra Ellie I figure I found and bought at Walmart of all places, early this year or late last year) for the Lockwood Ultimate Battle set, and some other things here and there, and a pal I made, from Guatemala, that I met on instagram, for the BD Plesiosaurus. This might not seem like a greatest length thing, but honestly with my autism and anxiety it certainly is for me, among other issues. Thankfully for me it all went well, and I've even made some new friends out of it, who in the latter two cases, I've also helped out and still help out (in fact my pal from Guatemala will have the Legacy Collection Hammond, the Destruct-A-Saurs Helicopter/Pteranodon set, and the Amber Collection Velociraptor, once it arrives, sent on its way to him soon).

I'm sure the Brachiosaurus might be next on that list, if not the Legacy Collection white Velociraptor set, which has only showed up in a few places, proving very hard to get for those in the states at least. Even more so for one that wants one of those versions with a painted head, which I certainly do.

The most expensive thing I bought so far was probably simultaneously the Legacy Collection Spinosaurus from a UK seller on ebay (mostly because the shipping), the Lockwood Ultimate Battle set (though I did have other figures arrive with it, again with the shipping), unless I want to count my total pledge amounts for both Beasts of the Mesozoic campaigns, which is over $100 and $200 respectively, and while not a figure I also pledged $200 or so for the Saurian campaign just to get my hands on one of those Dakotaraptor claw cast's specifically made for backers, in addition to the book, game, etc.

Not sure if this counts but I also made a trip to NJ to go to Jerseyfest that one year just to have an in person look at the prototypes for the Beasts of the Mesozoic raptor series figures, after the campaign was funded. I live in PA, so it wasn't that far or anything, but I did have to pay to get in to take a look.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Roselaar

Not as exorbitant as some here, thanks to the Netherlands being a small country.

I once took a train ride for two hours (plus two hours back) to get myself a loose Dino Riders Brontosaurus for 30 euros. Seller wouldn't ship it because of its size. So on the train ride back, everybody could see I was carrying a huge dinosaur toy. Many jealous kids' eyes...

Also took a 2.5 hour train ride (and back) to visit a museum where they sold a large amount of leftover PlayVision amphibians. Totally worth it, at 50 euros for close to a 100 of these little gems.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Faelrin on September 30, 2019, 04:24:26 PM
For me it was probably going out of my way to ask various folks to help me get things in different countries without me having to resort to ebay, including avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek here, for the Mattel JW blue raptor Destruct-A-Saurs set, a friend from Germany I met on reddit (who actually asked me about buying the extra Ellie I figure I found and bought at Walmart of all places, early this year or late last year) for the Lockwood Ultimate Battle set, and some other things here and there, and a pal I made, from Guatemala, that I met on instagram, for the BD Plesiosaurus.

What is a BD plesiosaurus? Bullyland?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

Battle Damage. It's a Walmart exclusive subline of Jurassic World toys.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

BlueKrono

Ah, makes sense. I've had that on order from Amazon since early July but it's still not available yet! Maybe I'll luck out in a store one of these days.

Primeval12

Quote from: Roselaar on September 30, 2019, 05:01:31 PM
Not as exorbitant as some here, thanks to the Netherlands being a small country.

I once took a train ride for two hours (plus two hours back) to get myself a loose Dino Riders Brontosaurus for 30 euros. Seller wouldn't ship it because of its size. So on the train ride back, everybody could see I was carrying a huge dinosaur toy. Many jealous kids' eyes...

Also took a 2.5 hour train ride (and back) to visit a museum where they sold a large amount of leftover PlayVision amphibians. Totally worth it, at 50 euros for close to a 100 of these little gems.

looked like that with a big bin of dinosaurs in my lap.

Silvanusaurus

I was living on the far side of Wales while at University, where I ordered a TS Toys WWD-style Ornitholestes from America. Unfortunately it arrived while I was out, but no notification was left to say a delivery had been attempted, so I thought it just hadn't arrived yet. By the time I was able to find out that I'd missed it, I had to move out of my apartment there and return to living back home, a 2 and a half hour train journey away. It was being held at the delivery centre in the town I'd just moved away from, and I only had a few days left before they'd return it to the sender, because apparently I'd left it too late to arrange re-delivery to my new address. So I had to travel the 2.5 hour train journey back to collect it. Then, plot twist! The delivery centre turns out to be several miles outside of town, along a busy main road with no pavements to walk on, passing along the edges of a great big sewage treatment plant, the smell of which alone almost crippled my nose. I smelled things, man. Things that cannot be unsmelled. From the station to the delivery centre that was about an hour or so, not including my stopping to make camp and fight off rural bandits. At the height of summer. I got the toy, but at what cost? Incidentally that was my last impulsive, over-seas purchase for quite a long time.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 01, 2019, 10:24:06 PM
I was living on the far side of Wales while at University, where I ordered a TS Toys WWD-style Ornitholestes from America. Unfortunately it arrived while I was out, but no notification was left to say a delivery had been attempted, so I thought it just hadn't arrived yet. By the time I was able to find out that I'd missed it, I had to move out of my apartment there and return to living back home, a 2 and a half hour train journey away. It was being held at the delivery centre in the town I'd just moved away from, and I only had a few days left before they'd return it to the sender, because apparently I'd left it too late to arrange re-delivery to my new address. So I had to travel the 2.5 hour train journey back to collect it. Then, plot twist! The delivery centre turns out to be several miles outside of town, along a busy main road with no pavements to walk on, passing along the edges of a great big sewage treatment plant, the smell of which alone almost crippled my nose. I smelled things, man. Things that cannot be unsmelled. From the station to the delivery centre that was about an hour or so, not including my stopping to make camp and fight off rural bandits. At the height of summer. I got the toy, but at what cost? Incidentally that was my last impulsive, over-seas purchase for quite a long time.

This is a horrific story, but you tell it wonderfully.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.