News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Nice to see they had that already, and wow what a good selection of their figures too. I have to say this image is also very helpful as a size comparison for many of those, even if that might not have been intended.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 06, 2019, 04:41:18 PM
Sarcosuchus is now available at Safari's web site: https://store.safariltd.com/products/sarcosuchua

Also, I found the Pachycephalosaurus in the wild at the Arizona Museum of Natural History in suburban Phoenix:

(Third shelf from the top, you'd better believe I bought one)

That was one of the nicest natural history museums I've been to in recent years. I'd go again in an instant.

But what do those Schleich Dimorphodon think they're doing? Crashing an A-lister party!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Nice to see a museum shop shelf filled with authentic quality brand name figures, without the adulterating presence of bootlegs and cheapo's.

Loon

That reminds me of the gift shop at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Absolutely chock-full of Safari figures...and Papos... Anyway, it's a thousand times better than my beloved LA Natural History Museum's current fate of only selling Jurassic World figures.

(Pictured: A crime)

stargatedalek

At least they have a better stock of them than most toy stores do xD

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on December 07, 2019, 03:04:50 PM
That reminds me of the gift shop at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Absolutely chock-full of Safari figures...and Papos... Anyway, it's a thousand times better than my beloved LA Natural History Museum's current fate of only selling Jurassic World figures.

(Pictured: A crime)

Yeah, I was recently at the Museum of Science in Boston and all they had were JW toys, at 18 bucks a pop (I almost bought the Mussaurus at that price but found it for less than half that elsewhere). This is definitely one of the better gift shops I've been to, maybe a symptom of its being a small museum where researchers talk to the gift shop people. At a big museum they probably interact very little.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: suspsy on December 07, 2019, 01:02:16 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 06, 2019, 04:41:18 PM
Sarcosuchus is now available at Safari's web site: https://store.safariltd.com/products/sarcosuchua

Also, I found the Pachycephalosaurus in the wild at the Arizona Museum of Natural History in suburban Phoenix:

(Third shelf from the top, you'd better believe I bought one)

That was one of the nicest natural history museums I've been to in recent years. I'd go again in an instant.

But what do those Schleich Dimorphodon think they're doing? Crashing an A-lister party!

Ugh, I am absolutely drooling over that display!

Quote from: SidB on December 07, 2019, 02:44:15 PM
Nice to see a museum shop shelf filled with authentic quality brand name figures, without the adulterating presence of bootlegs and cheapo's.

Both the Perot Museum in Dallas and the Fort Worth Museum near me only sell both cheapy stuff and a couple bootleg papos.  >:(

Loon

Sarcosuchus is in stock at Safari's store.

Mirroraptor

Really love the new Dilophosaurus.
Actually I never considered buying an older wild safari Dilophosaurus(the dark-blue one), The appearance of this one surprised me a lot. Dilophosaurus toy was finally able to get rid of its overly stout body and had a slim and beautiful torso that truly belonged to Dilophosaurus.

Loon

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 08, 2019, 06:04:57 AM
Actually I never considered buying an older wild safari Dilophosaurus(the dark-blue one), The appearance of this one surprised me a lot. Dilophosaurus toy was finally able to get rid of its overly stout body and had a slim and beautiful torso that truly belonged to Dilophosaurus.
The old Safari one once tempted me as well. But man..this new one makes that figure look a freakin' Gremlin. Hopefully other theropods, like the Ceratosaurus and the Acrocanthosaurus, are updated soon as well.

SidB

Quote from: Loon on December 08, 2019, 06:19:14 AM
The old Safari one once tempted me as well. But man..this new one makes that figure look a freakin' Gremlin. Hopefully other theropods, like the Ceratosaurus and the Acrocanthosaurus, are updated soon as well.
The old Cerato and Acro have their virtues and represented good value at the time (I have both), but a 1/35 scale version of both would be appreciated. Another change would be the abandoning of the extra large "clown feet" that were employed in that era to provide stability to theropods. IMO, both tripods and bases are preferable to that. Of course, the ideal would be not to have to resort to any of these options, such as on the old Carnegie Albertosaurus, which got it right. Slightly enlarged feet are okay, if necessary, I'd say.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: SidB on December 08, 2019, 08:43:54 PM
The old Cerato and Acro have their virtues and represented good value at the time (I have both), but a 1/35 scale version of both would be appreciated. Another change would be the abandoning of the extra large "clown feet" that were employed in that era to provide stability to theropods. IMO, both tripods and bases are preferable to that. Of course, the ideal would be not to have to resort to any of these options, such as on the old Carnegie Albertosaurus, which got it right. Slightly enlarged feet are okay, if necessary, I'd say.

Isn't the current Ceratosaurus around 1/35?

Takama

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 09, 2019, 12:47:01 AM

Maybe it is. But im Sure some people may want a larger replica of that dinosaur, after there increase in size in 2017.

SidB

Quote from: Takama on December 10, 2019, 02:38:59 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 09, 2019, 12:47:01 AM

Maybe it is. But im Sure some people may want a larger replica of that dinosaur, after there increase in size in 2017.
Well, I rooted around in my storage and pulled out the two Safari Ceratosaurus versions in my collection. Using the projected sizes of C. nasicornis as my guide (that is, 18 ' -23' long, measured along the undulating curves of the animal's dorsal aspect), I arrived at the following scales for my specimens:
1) old green/ reddish brown Safari version: 1/31 to 1/39.5 scale
2) newer light brown/ light toned belly version: 1/27- 1/34.5 scale

I think that the newer one is a Doug Watson sculpt. It is a robust and well-detailed model.  So, yes, 1/35 is a pretty fair assessment for these. Also, I'd have to admit that the feet of the new version, though enlarged, don't really fit into the "clown foot" category. Memory didn't serve me well (my bad!).

Shonisaurus

I think Doug Watson would not have to update even the acrocanthosaurus and ceratosaurus (for me two bright figures of Safari) only the Safari brand could increase these figures by making larger molds perhaps the double and the problem would be solved. In my case I am very happy with the current versions of Safari acrocanthosaurus and ceratosaurus, with Safari acrocanthosaurus being by far the best of all the brands I have today and at least matching in genius other brands such as Papo or Rebor.

Safari ceratosaurus is the ideal theropod made in the toy market of that species. I believe that size should be increased regardless of scale. It would look better as a figure.

Doug Watson

Quote from: SidB on December 10, 2019, 02:55:59 PM

I just checked my notes from when I did this one and at the time it was based on a 20 foot specimen so 1:27 scale.

Loon

The Icthyosaurus is in stock on Safari's website.

Shonisaurus

It's good news this moves slowly. I think in Europe we will have these figures in mid-January.

SidB

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 10, 2019, 07:50:59 PM
Quote from: SidB on December 10, 2019, 02:55:59 PM

I just checked my notes from when I did this one and at the time it was based on a 20 foot specimen so 1:27 scale.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Sim

The Edmontosaurus and Deinonychus are now in stock on Safari's website!  Oddly, the Concavenator still doesn't appear on Safari's website.  Maybe it will when it comes into stock.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: