News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

THIS is how you pay homage to 90s dinosaur tail-dragger reconstructions.

Not sure how anyone can justify labelling the chilesaurus has being one of them, with it's painful, excruciating bent over pose.The giganotosaurus on the other hand... it's just executed extremely, extremely poorly.
"You cannot break the rules unless you know them", the sculptor clearly has not done their research on the proper anatomy of both dinosaurs, yet decided it was a good idea to put their lackluster knowledge of said creatures to the test by attempting to sculpt them in action poses... Ending up in poor anatomy and proportions, and rather than giving a sense of liveliness and 'epicness', it just results in the figures looking extremely awkward.

I remember reading somewhere that the sculptor had trouble identifying basic differences and anatomical features between Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus? Take that with a grain of salt though unless some more concrete evidence surfaces.

Loon

Quote from: Flaffy on December 25, 2019, 03:42:20 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the sculptor had trouble identifying basic differences and anatomical features between Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus? Take that with a grain of salt though unless some more concrete evidence surfaces.

I remember that too, I don't know the validity of that. But, given most of Papo's figures, understanding what dinosaurs looked like isn't their strong suit.

ITdactyl

avatar_Loon @Loon , avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , I think this is the interview you're both referring to:
https://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220371793092

Seo Jung-woon made a passing mention of the Giganotosaurus in an answer to the 10th question of the interview.  I think the statement was misinterpreted because he answered the interviewer's question with another question.
He said:
기가노토사우루스는 티라노사우루스와 다른특징이 무엇인지
어떤 특성이 있는지 연구해보고  언제쯤 조형할지 생각해 보도록 하겠습니다.
literally translated:
What[How]is Giganotosaurus different from Tyrannosaurus?
Let us study the characteristics and think about when to make them.

Sadly, people just assumed that he's willfully ignorant of the difference - when he's merely stating that (at the time) he's still in the process of learning.

Am I defending Papo?  Nope, not at all.  I totally understand where the dislike for Papo's current offerings is coming from.  'Just don't like the artist being misrepresented because of the language barrier.

As for the comparison between the current giggles and the PNSO rex: the rex is doing a threat display, the giggles seems to be reacting defensively to something.

Loon

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 25, 2019, 06:42:45 AM
As for the comparison between the current giggles and the PNSO rex: the rex is doing a threat display, the giggles seems to be reacting defensively to something.

I very much approve of calling the Papo figure "Giggles".

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Loon on December 24, 2019, 05:07:16 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 24, 2019, 04:13:17 PM
That or he gave up trying to get it to stand without a base..looking at it I just can't see how it would if made in a horizontal position.

It has to be this, Papo's "Jurassic Park" aesthetic wouldn't jive well with a tail dragger. I really wish companies weren't so averse to bases.

In fact, I know that some companies (such as Favorite, Nanmu Studio, and W-Dragon) are considering how to adjust the weight of the entire model so that the model can stand on their feet without the need for base, and don't need big foot or posing an awkward posture. But however, the realization of this technology requires higher production costs, and in fact they still have a removable base for their products.
I'm not so sure about PAPO's idea, but given that their Baryonyx and traditional style raptor can actually stand on two feet instead of their tails, I think PAPO can adopt a similar strategy without having to continue to distort their posture.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 24, 2019, 08:46:46 AM
Thank you.
Actually, I don't think PAPO Giganotosaurus' posture is a big problem. It may seem strange today, but I believe it is a tribute to stop-motion animated films from the 1960s and 1970s such as [Valley of Gwangi].

You nailed it! I also feel that the Giga is a homage to Gwangi

tanystropheus

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 24, 2019, 07:45:18 AM

Here's the original photo of PAPO Giganotosaurus' sample.

The head is actually pretty damn nice (it maintains the exaggerated fossa from the Dorling Kindersley depiction that Schleich and a number of companies have been trying to reproduce, including Nammu with the I.rex) but definitely oversized, at least based on the promotional pics here. The range of motion seems extreme but probably possible. And the pose is inspired by their very own Theri and Cryo.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on December 25, 2019, 04:38:24 AM

I remember that too, I don't know the validity of that. But, given most of Papo's figures, understanding what dinosaurs looked like isn't their strong suit.

It's hit or miss. I think they did a pretty good job with the Penta, Gorgo, Tupux, Apato, Dimetro, Acro, Cryo, Theri, Cerato, Kapro (minus the teeth) and of course, the Spino (disbarring that tail fluke creative licensing thingy).

oscars_dinos

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 25, 2019, 09:23:56 PM
Quote from: Loon on December 25, 2019, 04:38:24 AM

It's hit or miss. I think they did a pretty good job with the Penta, Gorgo, Tupux, Apato, Dimetro, Acro, Cryo, Theri, Cerato, Kapro (minus the teeth) and of course, the Spino (disbarring that tail fluke creative licensing thingy).

The great frustration of being a Papo collector.... they all look good but when only a select few are fairly scientifically accurate it does make there other not so accurate figures stick out like a sore thumb.... good example would be the Gorgo vs there T rex

oscars_dinos

Has anyone actually made a list of all the (generally speaking) scientifically accurate Papo models??? if not can someone  O:-)

Mononykus

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 25, 2019, 09:17:46 PM
nailed it! I also feel that the Giga is a homage to Gwangi
Maybe Papo is trying to cash in on the popularity of Alternate Histories, such as Man in High Castle and For All Mankind.

In this case, the alternate history is: "What would the early reconstruction look like if Giganotosaurus was discovered 100 years earlier than it actually was?"

All kidding aside, the Giga was not a species I was looking forward to since it was very unlikely that it would be better than the Eofauna or even the Safari or Carnegie. Part of my issue with Papo is their tendency for exaggerated detail, with oversized scales and muscle definitions that require serious gym time and zero body fat. Their poses are sometimes "too active" and end up in awkward, and the Giga takes that to the next level. My preference is for figures to be as scientifically realistic as possible, but I can certainly see the appeal of Papo since they generally do have great detailing.

As for the rest of the 2020 releases, this is actually a good Papo year for me, as I will probably end up getting 3 figures (I normally average about 1 Papo a year).
The Megaloceros is terrific, and a big step up from the Bullyland (and a tall ladder up from the GeoWorld).
The Stygimoloch looks pretty good so far, but I would like some more pictures. This "species" hasn't been done as a toy other than the GeoWorld?
Finally, the Chilesaurus is an awesome choice of species. Its uncertain phylogenetic position (possible basal ornithischian) makes it especially intriguing and a must-have species. I am not fond of the quadrupedal pose at all, but otherwise it looks pretty good. I do have the Paleo-creatures pair which are correctly posed but they are so small that there is not much detail, so a larger, better-detailed version (especially the head) will be nice.

Killekor

Quote from: Mononykus on December 27, 2019, 05:14:50 AM
The Stygimoloch looks pretty good so far, but I would like some more pictures. This "species" hasn't been done as a toy other than the GeoWorld?

The Stygimoloch has been made several times in the Mattel JWFK line, being one of the dinosaurs that appeared in the movie (probably Papo made one also for this reason). And there's also a chinasaur toy (which don't seem to be a knock-off of another figure and it's also based on JWFK) available on websites like Ebay or Aliexpress.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Killekor on December 27, 2019, 11:25:39 AM

The Stygimoloch has been made several times in the Mattel JWFK line, being one of the dinosaurs that appeared in the movie (probably Papo made one also for this reason). And there's also a chinasaur toy (which don't seem to be a knock-off of another figure and it's also based on JWFK) available on websites like Ebay or Aliexpress.

Killekor
is it this one

or this one(the one at the right top corner)

P.S whenever i post a picture it gets removed in 2 days

Mononykus

Killekor:

Ha! Of course you are right. I tend to ignore articulated action figures, Mattel or otherwise, so I had forgotten about those. They are not my thing, so I would still rather stick with the GeoWorld over the JP/JW toys.

Stegotyranno:
I had missed that these (need to hang out here a bit more, I guess), and it (the first one you posted) looks pretty decent. I will need some better pictures of the Papo to decide which to get. Thanks.

PS. How do I do the Mentions to make it a link?

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 27, 2019, 07:25:27 PM
Quote from: Killekor on December 27, 2019, 11:25:39 AM

Killekor
is it this one

or this one(the one at the right top corner)

P.S whenever i post a picture it gets removed in 2 days

In my impression, someone in the forum seems to have bought this Stygimoloch from a toy manufacturer called MoFun. Their other products are very cheap and low-quality, but this Stygimoloch is an exception.

The Atroxious

Honestly I don't think the Giga is that bad. It's more a pretty standard dinosaur toy level of bad, like the Safari Allosaurus or the Mojo blue Baryonyx. It has problems, but nothing that makes it explicitly an eyesore. It's just not incredibly appealing either (though I really like the head and the characteristic Papo texture/paint job). I think their Spinosaurus and Baryonyx are far worse than this Giga (though again, their heads are beautiful).

I'm more fascinated with the Chilesaurus. My first thoughts were that I need this figure, irrespective of shrinkwrapping and improbable posture because plant eating non-avian theropods are my jam and I must have them all. But speaking of plant eating theropods...check out the feet on Chilesaurus. Is it just me or are they recycled wholesale from Papo's Therizinosaurus? The long first toe with the hooked claw on the planted foot tipped me off, but then compared it to my Therizino figure, and the lifted foot looks suspiciously similar too. Second and third nail touching the ground, fourth toe curled under slightly more than the others. I feel like the pad on the planted foot and tarsal scutes aren't a one-to-one match, but the similarities are rather jarring.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 28, 2019, 04:10:36 PM
Honestly I don't think the Giga is that bad. It's more a pretty standard dinosaur toy level of bad, like the Safari Allosaurus or the Mojo blue Baryonyx. It has problems, but nothing that makes it explicitly an eyesore. It's just not incredibly appealing either (though I really like the head and the characteristic Papo texture/paint job). I think their Spinosaurus and Baryonyx are far worse than this Giga (though again, their heads are beautiful).

I'm more fascinated with the Chilesaurus. My first thoughts were that I need this figure, irrespective of shrinkwrapping and improbable posture because plant eating non-avian theropods are my jam and I must have them all. But speaking of plant eating theropods...check out the feet on Chilesaurus. Is it just me or are they recycled wholesale from Papo's Therizinosaurus? The long first toe with the hooked claw on the planted foot tipped me off, but then compared it to my Therizino figure, and the lifted foot looks suspiciously similar too. Second and third nail touching the ground, fourth toe curled under slightly more than the others. I feel like the pad on the planted foot and tarsal scutes aren't a one-to-one match, but the similarities are rather jarring.
which spinosaurus are you talking about

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Theri is pretty big , is the Chile that large that the feet would match?   It may  be more its just the same artist.

Killekor

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 28, 2019, 05:49:44 PM

which spinosaurus are you talking about

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno The Atroxious was referring to the new Limited Edition Spinosaurus, I think.

Quote from: Mononykus on December 28, 2019, 01:20:38 AM
PS. How do I do the Mentions to make it a link?

avatar_Mononykus @Mononykus you just have to digit an @ and then add the name of the desired member to it, for example:

@[desired member's name]

The important thing is that you don't have to add any type of point (!;:.,; etc...) after the mention without adding also a space before, if not it will not work.

I hope to have helped you!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Mononykus

Okay, let me try it,

It doesn't work in preview, lets see what happens when I post it.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: it does work when posted! And I also had punctuation before. Thank you.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: