News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

The figure is very precisely modeled, the well-painted teeth in general in his sculpture have almost none of the inevitable defects that all PVC figures have, such as the seams on the body if we except the articulated jaw, but the truth is that the giganotosaurus is sculpted in an unrealistic pose for a theropod dinosaur taking into account the latest scientific discoveries, which makes that figure lackluster in its presentation. If it weren't for the figure's unreal posture, this dinosaur would be ten times more successful from a toy dinosaur collecting point of view. His chilesaurus is totally superior in all respects to Papo's giganotosaurus.

In short, and to the point, if the pose of Papo's giganotosaurus was like that of his tyrannosaurus rex counterpart running in Papo's company, the criticisms would not be as fierce as they are with this dinosaur.

Loon

So, any idea when the Megaloceras is coming out?

Kapitaenosavrvs

? @Stolpergeist Wow! Do you have some kind of Online Archive with all your Art Stuff?

I wonder, how good the new Giganotosaurus is selling...

Loon

Has this been shared? Looks like the Gorgosaurus is getting repacked as part of a gift set with the Stygimoloch.

https://www.spielzeug-guenstig.de/Papo-Dinosaurs-Set-Gorgosaurus-with-Stygimoloch-80106.html

Mellow Stego

is it just me or has recent Papo models all have very similar skin texture and color. They kind of remind me of Gremlins.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Loon

Quote from: Mellow Stego on September 15, 2020, 09:50:11 PM
is it just me or has recent Papo models all have very similar skin texture and color. They kind of remind me of Gremlins.

Tbh, Papo's never had the most diverse color pallette.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 14, 2020, 01:19:30 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 31, 2019, 12:53:59 AM

Papo Dimetrodon is very reptilian; the real Dimetrodon wasn't a reptile but an early synapsid (a stem mammal).
Probably Dimetrodon was like this:

Ughhhh that's my old art, made these as a teenager.
Would advice to not use these for reference, the orange one was originally even worse and the D. natalis is also pretty off with the musculature.
Both of these are edited, the orange one had that awful half-sail and the D. natalis was originally defecating (at that time there was a sort of "trend" started by Joschua Knüppe to depict extinct fauna doing that because it's unusual in art but often occurring in nature), one of the hindlegs looks a bit awkward due to the edit as there was dung drawn in front of it.
I made the one below shortly after I learned more about Dimetrodon's anatomy, forgot if it was also 2015 or 2016, but at that time the other drawings went already viral, reposted across the internet and thus everyone ignored this one:

After that I haven't drawn Dimetrodon for a while until some doodles in 2018 but I have to post these censored here as I depicted D. natalis leaving some dung again as reference to that older drawing.

I always ask for author' permission before using someone else' pictures.
But at the time I didn't find the real author because your sign isn't easily readible.
Really sorry about that.
I saw your pictures on a Youtube video by "TRey the explainer" (where pictures were taken).
By the way, it wasn't my intention to use your pictures as a reference for musculature or proportions but just for the "mammalian" look that Dimetrodon could have (as a synapsid ).
I think you have captured this aspect very well in your drawings.
Please, accept my apologies.
Thanks.
:)

Leyster

Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 22, 2020, 09:38:31 PM
I was never good at art at any point.
This is not true, I remember your Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus, prehistoric fishes and pachiderm series and they were great! I, for one, would be really happy to see your gallery  ^-^
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Andreioli

In hand photos of the Papo Stygimoloch, finally a view from the side:

https://gramho.com/media/2408860755300895727

Also, it's available in Germany:

https://www.spielzeug-guenstig.de/Papo-Stygimoloch-55084.html

Shonisaurus

My opinion about the stygimoloch as a result of the photographs of gramho.com are the following, the figure like almost all the figures of Papo differs from the prototype, in this case unfavorably, it seems less detailed the green color of that dinosaur varies, anyway It is one of the best figures of Papo of this year 2020 and honestly quite well done although as the stygimoloch of the prototype was better painted and had some details on the head that unfortunately obviates the real figure of Papo anyway it is a great figure and together with the megaloceros, chilesaurus and the repainted velociraptor one of the best figures of the year. On a positive note, it can be supported on two legs and the horns of the cranial dome are impressively attractive.

Loon

Well, at least Papo has one good dinosaur this year. This one definitely differs from the promo pics, which is fine with me, cuz those looked ugly. This looks a little more up my alley. Depending on the accuracy, I might pick this one up.

I don't know if someone's pointed this out, but this Stygimoloch looks far more like the Black Horse model than the JW one in my opinion.

Carnoking

I don't know if those photos just don't do it justice, but wow is that a dive in terms of quality. My first thought when I saw it was that I was impressed a knock-off got made before the actual model was in the hands of the masses.

Syndicate Bias

Hmm well I guess I'll be skipping everything but the other small figure and maybe the Giga but inly because I aim to take the head off.

SidB

I definitely have mixed feelings about this Stygi; will have to wait to see more close-ups before committing to it. So far, it's only the Megaloceros for me, as far as this year is concerned. I've got one on order with Dejankins and it looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.

Shonisaurus

The megaloceros is lagging quite a bit. Years ago Papo figures were sold both in online stores and in physical stores soon. What is the reason for this delay in Papo's figures not only this year but in previous years?

Fenestra

Here we go, Fast first showing of Stygimoloch from Rupi Bolz on Youtube.
Can't share a direct link. He has sharing his video on other websites turned off.
Starts at 3:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrUXeobR8I4

Shonisaurus

avatar_Fenestra @Fenestra Thanks for sharing the news. I'm going to see this figure on video in order to take a new note of the new figure of Papo.

Shonisaurus

It is honestly a very well sculpted figure. The stygimoloch is a well finished figure, well painted and honestly as good as its prototype. I rectify my statement in the previous post where he said that his sculpture was inferior to the prototype. The most interesting thing about this pachycephalosaurid marginocephalus is its head with some very accurate details of antlers. I do not know if it is successful from a scientific point of view, but anyway it is for me a great figure that is even superior to its chilesaurus. My grade is 9 out of 10. avatar_Andreioli @Andreioli Thank you for sharing the video where that news from Papo is found.

Sarapaurolophus

It's kinda cute! I'd like it to be a little more colorful but that's something I can add myself. Really want it now.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: