News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is the most accurate Spinosaurus model on the market?

Started by Faelrin, December 01, 2019, 02:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shonisaurus

Quote from: TheRealSpinoRex on June 10, 2020, 08:15:29 PM
I think the Papo one is the most accurate now

Totally agree with you, the spinosaurus Papo for me is the most accurate along with that of Schleich.

Stegotyranno420

Yeah, the papo one looks fat and healthy, like it should be

Dinoxels

Well, now companies have a new reconstruction to tackle.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Bread

Any papers linked to this reconstruction? The spine is major change, as well as the slight shift in the spines in the tail.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Bread on November 29, 2020, 02:22:59 AM
Any papers linked to this reconstruction? The spine is major change, as well as the slight shift in the spines in the tail.
avatar_Bread @Bread It's from Scott Hartman's new blogpost, link here:https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/road-to-spinosaurus-iv-not-your-fathers-jp3-osaurus11282020
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Gwangi

There it is, the reconstruction I want. I'm not at all convinced by quadrupedal Spinosaurus.

Someone needs to make a Spinosaurus similar to Mark Witton's. Then I'll be happy.

Bread

Quote from: Gwangi on November 29, 2020, 04:28:36 PM
There it is, the reconstruction I want. I'm not at all convinced by quadrupedal Spinosaurus.

Someone needs to make a Spinosaurus similar to Mark Witton's. Then I'll be happy.

Same, another reason why I am waiting to purchase any Spinosaurus. Reconstructions keep changing or are altered pretty quickly, which leaves me to feel like I need to wait for this animal. I have a feeling a company will produce one that is following this reconstruction this year, then they can have my wallet.

Strawberry Crocodile

Yeah spinosaurus is an exciting animal because the rate our understanding of it is being revised is almost approaching the time it takes to accept, design, sculpt, produce, and start selling a toy
Profile pic by Stolpergiest

RobinGoodfellow

Maybe Spinosaurus wasn't fully quadrupedal (over the web lots of people are saying that Hartman skeletal is wrong; I really don't know) but all the evidences seem to point to an aquatic life-style more than a terrestrial one : a fish-eater, heavy bones (like whales), crocodile snout, a tail made for swimming, front-heavy posture (for sure not a fast running animal).
So it's highly possible that S. was spending most of the time in water, walking on land only when it was necessary.
Probably a transitional form to a more specialized aquatic kind of dinosaurs that never evolved.

That's why I'm quite happy with recent toy reconstructions of S.

Jose S.M.

Spinosaurus is a very intriguing and interesting creature but I'm starting to get annoyed that anytime I decide to go for one of their toys something new appears :)). At this point I'm not going to get one in like a decade to give time to get a more conclusive look at it.

Bokisaurus

Well for me it would be the new PNSO followed by GR toys figures.
But when it comes to spinosaurus, who k own what next year could bring?😂
Personally, I have grown fond of this species and intend to collect most of the new figures based on the new reconstruction.
It would be fun to see all the different versions as well as to have a plastic record of its evolution in toy form.
I can't say the same thing for many dinosaur species.

Faelrin

I really need to update the op already, now that there is the GR Toys one, the new PNSO one, and the new Safari Ltd one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duna

I just purchased the PNSO little one before Christmas. For me is now the best in the market. The Papo one I still like it a lot, overlooking at those Papo style teeth, but it's a nice figure.
I don't share Scott's new skeletal draw with that paddled crescent tail, the same for first PNSO version. For what I know, flattened swimming tails don't work like that, they are decreased or equally wide in all lenght until the end. He says that the first 1/3 spines that were recovered were all broken and he drew them like that, but he also decided that the rest could be shorter too. I don't see that. I think when you find, for example, a ceratopsian skull with a broken horn, you should draw the skeleton with both horns complete, not one broken and the other not. And I think that that is what is normally done (and even he does it normally). But now it's his personal decision and not all have to like it.

But I really love Mark Wittons drawing.

Shane

Spinosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs overall, and one of my favorite figures to collect, BECAUSE it has changed so much over the years.

It has gone through more drastic revisions in how we imagine it than during my lifetime than any other dinosaur I can think of.

Each new figure is a snapshot of a specific time. While most dinosaur toys of a particular genus look mostly similar (give or take a few feathers usually), a collection of Spinosaurus figures is all over the place.

Figurines through the years are like a time capsule. Older figures look like generic theropods with sails, later figures have larger claws and narrower faces. Then you've got swimming Spinos, quadrupedal Spinos, and now Spinos with the new tail fin.

If you're gonna pick a particular dino to collect, Spinosaurus is definitely one of the most fun because of the sheer variety available.

It's one of the most interesting dinosaurs to me because every time new material is described, it turns so much of our current understanding on its head.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Shane on December 02, 2020, 06:03:51 PM
Spinosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs overall, and one of my favorite figures to collect, BECAUSE it has changed so much over the years.

It has gone through more drastic revisions in how we imagine it than during my lifetime than any other dinosaur I can think of.

Each new figure is a snapshot of a specific time. While most dinosaur toys of a particular genus look mostly similar (give or take a few feathers usually), a collection of Spinosaurus figures is all over the place.

Figurines through the years are like a time capsule. Older figures look like generic theropods with sails, later figures have larger claws and narrower faces. Then you've got swimming Spinos, quadrupedal Spinos, and now Spinos with the new tail fin.

If you're gonna pick a particular dino to collect, Spinosaurus is definitely one of the most fun because of the sheer variety available.

It's one of the most interesting dinosaurs to me because every time new material is described, it turns so much of our current understanding on its head.

Yup, totally agree with you on all points.
It's one of the reasons why I became a fan of spinosaurus and reviewed a number of them already 😃

Shonisaurus

It may not be precisely scientifically accurate, but for me one of my favorite spinosaurus perhaps the favorite is Papo's spinosaurus followed by GR Toys and PNSO respectively.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.