News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

You hit the jackpot with that, avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon It looks very nice

stoneage

That's a really nice figure.  I wish I had a set of them but it would probably cost more then I want to pay.  There has to be priorities.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Duna on January 26, 2022, 07:01:21 PM
You hit the jackpot with that, avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon It looks very nice
I actually haven't bought it yet; but I think I will now!  :))

Fembrogon

I'm back with a new inquiry on a new purchase.

These figures all appear to be from the Safari ltd Authentics line, sets 1 and 2. Based on photos from the relevant threads here on the Forum as well as a few photos elsewhere, I'm pretty sure MOST of these are legitimate originals, rather than knockoffs. I'm not 100% sure on this.
Most of the figures here are very soft plastic - almost rubbery, even, with how flexible they are. No markings are present besides a generic "china" on the bellies.
It looks like at least a couple of figures, like the Velociraptor & Dilophosaurus, got distinct repaints at some point in the line's run. Looking at photos of color variants vs knockoffs, I'm pretty sure 9 out of the 12 models are real. The remaining three - Allosaurus, Diplodocus, and Pteranodon - look just enough different that I'm wary. From what I can tell the knockoff Colorata Diplo was extremely similar to the Safari original.

Comparison with my set 1 figures:

Paleona

Just curious if these sculpts are bootlegs of something else? Most of these are actually quite nice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07W7VSTN2/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#cm_cr_carousel_images_section

I saw some images posted elsewhere of someone repainting these and I'm a little tempted to pick them up sometime, haha

Fembrogon

These don't seem to be straight bootlegs, per say; but some or all of the designs seem to be derived from other brands of figures and statues. The Dilophosaurus, for example, resembles the Sideshow Dinosauria statue; and the T. rex is based off the Dinosaurs in the Wild design.
I have this set myself, and honestly I quite like them for what they are.

Leyster

Anybody has ideas on what is the blue/greish Tyrannosaur figure?
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Leyster on May 06, 2022, 01:23:08 PM
It's from the Japanese 'Ichiban Kuji Exciting Dinosaur!' set.
I got the Velociraptor - You can find the link to the whole set in my thread.

Leyster

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 06, 2022, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: Leyster on May 06, 2022, 01:23:08 PM
It's from the Japanese 'Ichiban Kuji Exciting Dinosaur!' set.
I got the Velociraptor - You can find the link to the whole set in my thread.
Thank you!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

jithrix

Hi,
I am trying to find a toy from a while ago. I do not have a picture of the actual model, but I tried to draw what it looked like, and included a bunch of similar ones I found online.

It was around 6 inches, plastic, but not very weighty. The pose was very rigid and symmetrical, except for one front leg being raised. It was definitely a hadrosaur of some kind, and is at least 7 years old, possibly much older. I would love any help, especially since I love the color scheme.

Thanks

My drawing

Similar color scheme

Similar pose

Halichoeres

J @jithrix that Jasman Brachylophosaurus came in a smaller size, is it possible that's what you're thinking of?

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

jithrix

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 24, 2022, 12:14:01 AMJ @jithrix that Jasman Brachylophosaurus came in a smaller size, is it possible that's what you're thinking of?

I don't think so. I remember it having a lot of brown, especially on the bottom side.

Libraraptor

WWD /Toyway Iguanodon maybe?

jithrix

No, its not that one either, but the color is closer. I don't know if it is a well-known brand like that. It was a long time ago.

jithrix

These are the closest I could find.

Libraraptor

Or is it the CollectA Iguanodon?

jithrix

I don't think so. To be honest, it was probably some off brand thing that won't come up in searches.

Halichoeres

There was also a later, uglier Iguanodon by Toyway that had nothing to do with WWD: https://dinotoycollector.com/Items/product.php?product_id=1658

Quote from: jithrix on May 24, 2022, 05:23:29 AMI don't think so. I remember it having a lot of brown, especially on the bottom side.
It's a long shot, but this description made me think of the Hadrosaurus by DeAgostini, which came out in the early to mid 90s. Here's the one in my collection:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

jithrix

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 25, 2022, 08:29:14 PMThere was also a later, uglier Iguanodon by Toyway that had nothing to do with WWD: https://dinotoycollector.com/Items/product.php?product_id=1658

Quote from: jithrix on May 24, 2022, 05:23:29 AMI don't think so. I remember it having a lot of brown, especially on the bottom side.
It's a long shot, but this description made me think of the Hadrosaurus by DeAgostini, which came out in the early to mid 90s. Here's the one in my collection:

It definitely had a more straight forward pose. The first one you linked is pretty close.

Karauak

Request for identification. Bought in Poland

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: