Safari Ltd. Authentics

Started by therizinosaurus, July 31, 2013, 06:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therizinosaurus

Not sure if there's a thread about these guys yet, but I figured I'd share my collection. For those who don't know, they were released throughout the 90's in 3 different sets of 6. They were variously marketed as "Mini Carnegies" or as part of the Authentics line (there were also sea animals, farm life, forest animals, etc). I believe the first line came out around 1993, with the others following shortly thereafter.
They were released various ways--either individually, in cardboard boxes with a clear panel on the front showing the figures, or in the little clear boxes I show below. Many of the figures have been changed slightly and reissued as part of the Toob line.

Series 1, Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus

3 variants of the Apatosaurus, alongside a Toob Apatosaurus

4 Authentics Tyrannosauruses, a Dino Toob T-rex, and a Carnivorous Dino Toob T-rex

The Parasaurolophus. Off the top of my head, I don't think Safari has made any other mini Parasaurolophuses.

Authentics Trike, with the dino toob triceratops.

Authentics Brachiosaurus. Like the Parasaur, I don't think there's a toob version.

Stegosaurus. Note how much variation there is. The one on the right is a toob version.

therizinosaurus

Onto Series 2...

The box...

...and the paperwork.

The lineup--Velociraptor, Styracosaurus, Euoplocephalus, Dimetrodon, Dilophosaurus, Protoceratops

The Authentics Velociraptor (left), with three different repaints found in various toobs over the years. I love having a whole herd :)

Styracosaurus...never repainted, never rereleased.

Authentics Protoceratops (right) and the Feathered dino toob Proto.

Authentics Euoplocephalus (right) and the dino toob version

Authentics Dilophosaurus (right) and a toob version

Authentics Dimetrodon (left) and two different toob versions.

therizinosaurus

And last but not least, Series 3!

Box

Paperwork

And the figures. Spinosaurus, Iguanodon, Diplodocus, Allosaurus, Elasmosaurus, Pteranodon

2 Authentics Spinosauruses and a toob version

2 Authentics Iguanodons and a toob version

Authentics Diplodocus and a toob version

3 Authentics Allosauruses

2 Authentics Elasmosauruses and a toob version

Authentics Pteranodon and a toob version

And one last photo for you guys! Enjoy!

Gwangi

Great thread and photos. I have all of the originals (I think) and I believe they're in my trade thread but I have been debating taking them off there. I don't have any from the second set but have long wanted that Protoceratops and from the third set I only have the Elasmosaurus. I wouldn't mind getting the complete sets of the other two series but I do have some of the toob "knock-offs".

Jetoar

Wonderful figures. Styracosaurus is amazing, better than some figures current
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Pachyrhinosaurus

Nice figures. I think I have the parasaurolophus. I think I'll pass on buying more, though.

joossa

Quote from: Jetoar on July 31, 2013, 08:22:07 PM
Styracosaurus is amazing, better than some figures current
Agreed. It's very nice!
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

docronnie

Thanks for sharing!  Learned a lot from this post.  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

docronnie

I just acquired today the Dinosaurs II, but with a different packaging. Sadly, it does not have the brochures. Will post a photo soon.

docronnie

Here it is:

triceratops83

The Allosaurus looks like a tiny version of the Waiphoon Allo, which I suppose in turn is a copy of something else.

leidy

I have a few of these.  I believe I bought them loose in various museum gift shops in the 90s.  The ones I have are the non-degraded mold versions with the superior paintjobs, not the dino toob versions.  I like them a lot.  For that time the accuracy was top-notch, and some of them still hold up very well.

As much as it says Safari underneath, I always considered them almost honourary Battats.

I haven't been able to confirm it, but I would swear they are sculpted by Greg and Dan.

A few in series 2 look unmistakably like Greg Wenzel's work.  I have the Protoceratops and the ankylosaurus.  The Proto really reminds me a lot of the Battat ceratopsians Greg did.  The accuracy and perfect symetry of the skull, the sense of motion, and the fine wrinkling technique.  It's a superb figure.

Quote from: therizinosaurus on July 31, 2013, 06:25:02 PM
Onto Series 2...

The lineup--Velociraptor, Styracosaurus, Euoplocephalus, Dimetrodon, Dilophosaurus, Protoceratops

Styracosaurus...never repainted, never rereleased.

Authentics Protoceratops (right) and the Feathered dino toob Proto.

Authentics Euoplocephalus (right) and the dino toob version

Authentics Dilophosaurus (right) and a toob version

Authentics Dimetrodon (left) and two different toob versions.

Series 3, I have the Diplodocus, the Iguanodon.  Again, the more crisply molded, better painted version, rather than the blurry reissues.  The diplo has a certain grace to it, and there's a certain care and attention paid to the feet and legs that reminds me of some of Dan LoRusso's other figures (although the cute proportions give it quite a different feel to his larger lankier Battat diplodocus).

I really want that little Allosaurus.  Something about the posing and texturing reminds me of Dan's Battat Dilophosaurus. 

I think I have a later brown version of that Spinosaurus somewhere, possibly from a dino toob.  I didn't think much of it, with the obvious inaccuracies I wasn't impressed at all.  Seeing the original here, it's actually a very cool version of that incarnation of Spinosaurus, like back in the days when it was still acceptable to restore it as a more conventional fin-backed carnosaur.  More of a robust fighter than the recently revised fish-eater.  It kinda makes me wish such a dinosaur actually existed!

Quote from: therizinosaurus on July 31, 2013, 06:30:53 PM
And last but not least, Series 3!

And the figures. Spinosaurus, Iguanodon, Diplodocus, Allosaurus, Elasmosaurus, Pteranodon

2 Authentics Spinosauruses and a toob version

2 Authentics Iguanodons and a toob version

Authentics Diplodocus and a toob version

3 Authentics Allosauruses

docronnie

The box set that I bought does not say the year it was made. Does anyone know why difference in the box they came with? TIA.

loru1588

My former associate Greg Wenzel did the original sculpts for the Series II and I did the original sculpts for the Series III. Early 90's before we started the Battat MOS Boston Series.

Paleogene Pals

At the risk of sounding like a punk, what is a 'Delycosaur'?  Otherwise, cool little set.

Paleogene Pals

I also add that the Protoceratops and Styracosaurus are well-sculpted pieces.

DinoLord

Anyone have a spare Protoceratops from this line? Have been searching for ages!

leidy

Quote from: loru1588 on December 13, 2014, 05:40:49 PM
My former associate Greg Wenzel did the original sculpts for the Series II and I did the original sculpts for the Series III. Early 90's before we started the Battat MOS Boston Series.

lol, I knew it!

Surprised these predate the Battat line, they're really accomplished for the size. 

docronnie

Quote from: loru1588 on December 13, 2014, 05:40:49 PM

So this is the reason why, we see these as little Battat-like figures.  Thanks for sharing the information!  :)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just found it, and it reopened my mental wounds sustained from losing my Protoceratops.  :'(

I have the Toob Protoceratops now, and it's good enough, but it can't hold a candle to that beautiful creature from the Authentics line! Such a pretty paintjob.

I just can't get over it, because even back in my childhood, it was one of my favorite models, so I would've thought that I would've taken good care of it. Sigh. Oh well.