You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are you still waiting on the definitive version of?

Started by Ravonium, January 12, 2020, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

An albertosaurus, daspletosaurus or alectrosaurus in a large and biped version made by a toy brand of the same size as the tyrannosaurus rex (which were made without scale) and well sculpted would be a good choice for any brand of toy dinosaurs.

Gwangi

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 03, 2020, 11:30:51 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 03, 2020, 08:09:13 PM
We've gotten quite a few Baryonyx lately but still nothing that I would consider definitive.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi what would you say is needed, or has previously been lacking, for it to be the definitive Baryonyx?

Well the Favorite Baryonyx certainly comes closest to being the definitive version but it's virtually inaccessible to me. All the others have their pros and cons but just don't quite hit the mark for me.

Ravonium

Over the course of this thread, here are the ones I've seen suggested that I especially agree with (not to say there aren't others I agree with). I'll only include ones that have, as far as I can remember, been represented more than once:

Tyrannosaurus (for me, one of the most insulting things about T. rex's overrepresentation is that virtually all figures of it in existence are inaccurate in one way or another)
Carnotaurus
Apatosaurus
Cryolophosaurus
Rhamphorhynchus
Herrerasaurus
Plateosaurus
Spinosaurus
Torosaurus
Desmatosuchus
Koolasuchus
Moschops
Paraceratherium
Tullimonstrum
Stenonychosaurus
Ouranosaurus
Basilosaurus
Muttaburrasaurus
Megatherium
Tarbosaurus
Scelidosaurus
Albertosaurus
Smilodon
Leaellynasaura
Gallimimus
Tupandactylus/Tapejara

And to add a few new ones of my own...

-Dsungaripterus (the few figures in existence are either extremely rare or not easily found on their own)
-Brachiosaurus/Giraffatitan
-Shunosaurus

postsaurischian

To ask for a new Spinosaurus these days is ridiculous.
I'd like to have a new Guanlong, 1:35 or 1:20.

Patrx

There are lots of famous prehistoric animals that don't even have a single figure that's "pretty good", let alone definitive.
Pterodactylus, Heterodontosaurus, Hypsilophodon, Utahraptor, Ornitholestes, probably lots more.

You're dead-on about small ornithopods, ? @Stolpergeist. The figures that do exist of them tend to be really small and/or out-of-date.

Silvanusaurus

The definitive Spinosaurus figure would have to be composed of a futuristic transmutable substance that changes its shape every few years.

Ravonium

? @Stolpergeist The Wild Safari version is too small for my scale preferences, but yeah, in terms of accuracy, it is pretty much perfect :)

(BTW, big fan of your paleoart right here!)

Mellow Stego

Im still looking for that perfect Therizinosaurus figure.
Heck, it's hard enough to find a decent paleoart  of the animal that doesn't look like a plucked turkey mated with Freddy Kruger.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Shonisaurus

We need a tambatitanis and fukuititan with larger and more detailed sizes perhaps by Collecta or Eofauna.

brontosauruschuck

Websteroprion armstrongi would be cool.

Or a polycephalic Hyphalosaurus.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'm seriously considering getting the Marx figures of those at this point. And well it would make my father proud too as he grew up with them, and has fond memories of them. In fact because of him, I knew about Moschops long before I became interested in Paleozoic animals (other then Dimetrodon). Still I sincerely wish someone would make new figures of those at this point.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator You might want to check out PNSO's take on Anchiornis if you haven't yet. It's pretty much the only option at this time for it, other then the Takara Expo one.

I also have a few more to add that I'm hoping will be done at some point. Particularly titanosaurs like Dreadnoughtus,  Argentinosaurus, Patagotitan, as well as crinoids, and other neglected marine invertebrates.

Edit: I may have mentioned some of these before, but if not, prehistoric whales and their ancestors like Ambulocetus, Dorudon, Livyatan are sadly misrepresented. Prehistoric horses and their ancestors are also neglected like Eohippus, Mesohippus, etc. Prehistoric humans and their ancestors or relatives like Neanderthals are also lacking in accurate figures, as well as apes like Gigantopithecus. I guess the best out there currently is probably Safari Ltd's set or Kaiyodo's figures for some of these.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

Loon

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 13, 2020, 04:31:05 AM
I'm still waiting for that definitive Papo Giga
You must've missed the news, they revealed the definitive Papo Giganotosaurus a while back.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon I think Syndicate Bias is referring to a new reissue of Papo giganotosaurus that replaces the one that will be put into production this year. Sincerely, Papo giganotosaurus is perhaps the least finished theropod of all who has made this exceptional mark and is sincerely the weakest figure of prehistoric animals this year. What I have said before, Syndicate Bias refers to a new sculpture of giganotosaurus by Papo.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 04, 2020, 08:44:03 PM

Also small ornithopods deserve better.

Not to mention pterosaurs.

Agree on ornithopods and pterosaurs, definitely. It seems the only ornithopods we get are hadrosaurs and the larger iguanodonts. Some of the small bipedal ornithischians basal to the true ornithopods would be welcome, too!

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on February 12, 2020, 04:02:25 PM
Websteroprion armstrongi would be cool.

Or a polycephalic Hyphalosaurus.

I'd buy both of those. I'd personally prefer a one-headed Hyphalosaurus, but I'd buy it regardless of head number.

Quote from: Faelrin on February 13, 2020, 04:25:00 AM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'm seriously considering getting the Marx figures of those at this point. And well it would make my father proud too as he grew up with them, and has fond memories of them. In fact because of him, I knew about Moschops long before I became interested in Paleozoic animals (other then Dimetrodon). Still I sincerely wish someone would make new figures of those at this point.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator You might want to check out PNSO's take on Anchiornis if you haven't yet. It's pretty much the only option at this time for it, other then the Takara Expo one.

I also have a few more to add that I'm hoping will be done at some point. Particularly titanosaurs like Dreadnoughtus,  Argentinosaurus, Patagotitan, as well as crinoids, and other neglected marine invertebrates.

Edit: I may have mentioned some of these before, but if not, prehistoric whales and their ancestors like Ambulocetus, Dorudon, Livyatan are sadly misrepresented. Prehistoric horses and their ancestors are also neglected like Eohippus, Mesohippus, etc. Prehistoric humans and their ancestors or relatives like Neanderthals are also lacking in accurate figures, as well as apes like Gigantopithecus. I guess the best out there currently is probably Safari Ltd's set or Kaiyodo's figures for some of these.

The monochrome Marx ones aren't too hard to come by. The Linde is probably the best Sphenacodon sculpt, if I'm being honest. I definitely agree with you on marine invertebrates! See the Websteroprion that B @brontosauruschuck suggested--it would be the first toy of a prehistoric annelid!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brontosauruschuck

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 13, 2020, 08:20:19 PMI'd personally prefer a one-headed Hyphalosaurus

With all due respect, I fail to understand why 1 head would be preferable to anyone. I guess it would represent the more typical Hyphalosaurus, but still.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I had to google that one and it turns out I was already familiar with it after coming across it on reddit not too long ago. Hard to forget what that looked like at least, as it seems quite similar (if not directly related) to modern day bobbit worms (the thing of nightmares). I would certainly like to have one of those prehistoric terrors of the deep in my collection (even if it was a bit on the smaller side then the ones alive today in the oceans).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 13, 2020, 08:35:19 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon I think Syndicate Bias is referring to a new reissue of Papo giganotosaurus that replaces the one that will be put into production this year. Sincerely, Papo giganotosaurus is perhaps the least finished theropod of all who has made this exceptional mark and is sincerely the weakest figure of prehistoric animals this year. What I have said before, Syndicate Bias refers to a new sculpture of giganotosaurus by Papo.

I was being sarcastic haha

crankydinosaur

Pretty much name any Paleozoic or Cenozoic animal... 

Halichoeres

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on February 13, 2020, 09:22:46 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 13, 2020, 08:20:19 PMI'd personally prefer a one-headed Hyphalosaurus

With all due respect, I fail to understand why 1 head would be preferable to anyone. I guess it would represent the more typical Hyphalosaurus, but still.

Ha ha, I definitely see the appeal of a twin-noggin monster, but I'm personally more interested in the standard morphology than teratologies. I think if a Hyphalosaurus is made, it's almost certain to have two heads, since that's the reason most people are even aware of it. And heck, I'll be happy to have it.

Quote from: crankydinosaur on February 14, 2020, 03:24:49 AM
Pretty much name any Paleozoic or Cenozoic animal... 
Yeah, companies really seem to just go for the same half dozen, don't they? Anomalocaris, Opabinia, Dimetrodon, mammoth, Smilodon, meg, done!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: