You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

avatar_Loon @Loon I saw you made a link to your collection thread which appears under every post. What does your position express? Are you desperate over that many figures to  shelter? Are you meditating on your next or new acquisitions? Do you suffer from migraine?

Loon

Thanks everyone, I'd reply to you all individually, but that's take up too much space.

Speaking of Battat, my Gallimimus and Styracosaurus finally got here.

And, I've become addicted to Japanese miniatures. These are some I've got from eBay recently. According to the eBay listing, the Siamotyrannus and Diabloceratops are from Dan Lorusso's personal collection. So, that's pretty cool, if true.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your new additions to your collection, especially for Battat's styracosaurs and gallimimus who are true holy grails when it comes to a vintage dinosaur figure collector. On the other hand, the Japanese dinosaur miniatures are very beautiful, especially the Kaiyodo figures you show, especially the diabloceratops I have that figure and I attest that they are very beautiful figures.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Loon on June 13, 2020, 03:05:00 AM
And, I've become addicted to Japanese miniatures.

Oh, yes. I know that feeling. I've even got some Dinotales figures of species I would normally never collect. While I don't seek those out actively, I keep them when I get them in sets. It was also really hard to say goodbye to the Gashapon figures when selling off the majority of my Kaiju collection.... 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 11, 2020, 10:14:36 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon I saw you made a link to your collection thread which appears under every post. What does your position express? Are you desperate over that many figures to  shelter? Are you meditating on your next or new acquisitions? Do you suffer from migraine?

Maybe your first suggestion; I haven't shared pictures here yet, but I'm now at 4 bookcases, and it's a bit overwhelming.

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 13, 2020, 09:10:16 AM
Oh, yes. I know that feeling. I've even got some Dinotales figures of species I would normally never collect. While I don't seek those out actively, I keep them when I get them in sets. It was also really hard to say goodbye to the Gashapon figures when selling off the majority of my Kaiju collection.... 

Yeah, I keep the ones I get in sets too. The Kaiyodo figures are the only line I have variants and duplicates from, I don't know why, but I just can't get rid of them.

Loon

Well, the Protoceratops collection has grown quite a bit since I last shared it here (mostly so dinotoycollector.com doesn't think my favorite dinosaur is Tyrannosaurus). So, here's an updated look at all of them together.

First up, Bix from Dinotopia. The plush on the left was the original one I got, but once I spotted one with a tag, I just had to have it. The watch in the background is interesting, the image of Bix on the face seems to be based on the plush.

These are the few Kaiyodos I own. The two "living" ones have my favorite colors of any of the Kaiyodos I own, and that's saying something, as I think their figures have the nicest colors of any dinosaurs on the market. I'm not so crazy about the skeleton, it's very fragile, and comes to parts pretty easily.

Two recent review subjects, the CollectA Deluxe and Favorite Desktop Model. I really like these, they're Protoceratops after all; but God, do they take up a lot of space.

The Mattel Jurassic World version is definitely not my favorite, I find it a little odd looking. Oh, and the Geoworld figure's here too...

I love the Carnegie Collection Protoceratops nest scene, it's a lovely little diorama. I've nicknamed the two Protoceratops "mom" and "big sister", I don't know why. I guess mom's scolding big sister for setting a bad example for her yet-to-be-hatched siblings.

These two were hard to light. On the left, we have the Favorite mini model Protoceratops, which is of course in mortal combat with a very 2000's looking feathered Velociraptor, seems to be a theme with Favorite. On the right, is the elusive Colorata figure. I like the colors on this one, especially the little "freckles" on the face.

Here's the Master Replicas Protoceratops. I don't know if this is supposed to represent a juvenile or if they just messed up badly. Either way, I appreciate a model that depicts Protoceratops behavior and doesn't include a Velociraptor.

Of course I got two. Wild Past's Protoceratops is one of my favorite figures so far this year. It's nice and small, and has a lot of personality despite being so simple.

On the left and right are the Dino Riders and Smithsonian versions of the Tyco Protoceratops. The Dino Riders figure is definitely a lot more worn, as I got mine used and the Smithsonian version was new in the box. Between them is the cute little Kabaya figure, the "bespin cloud car" of baby dinosaur toys.

And finally, the Definitely Dinosaurs Protoceratops. I've reviewed this one for the blog; it's certainly got a charm. Though, it makes me think of a frog.

That's it for now. Hopefully, I can share another new Protoceratops soon (the starlux one is on the way).

Libraraptor

Interesting assortment of Protoceratops figures, a very underrated species.

Faelrin

What a fantastic assortment of Protoceratops. After eyeballing all those I think the Wild Past, Tyco, and Kaiyodo are my favorites (though I only have the Wild Past one for now), and of course the Dinotopia plushie too. I agree that the Mattel one is kind of odd (but I'm glad to have them as an option). I think it's the straight/stiff legs, and maybe the shape of the head.

I can't remember if I asked this before but are you getting the Beasts of the Mesozoic 1/6 scale Protoceratops as well?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 17, 2020, 01:12:31 PM
Interesting assortment of Protoceratops figures, a very underrated species.

Thanks. I agree with the underrated assessment, and that's a shame; especially considering that it's part of one of, if not  the most, interesting fossils of all time.

Quote from: Faelrin on June 17, 2020, 01:26:54 PM
What a fantastic assortment of Protoceratops. After eyeballing all those I think the Wild Past, Tyco, and Kaiyodo are my favorites (though I only have the Wild Past one for now), and of course the Dinotopia plushie too. I agree that the Mattel one is kind of odd (but I'm glad to have them as an option). I think it's the straight/stiff legs, and maybe the shape of the head.

I can't remember if I asked this before but are you getting the Beasts of the Mesozoic 1/6 scale Protoceratops as well?

Thanks, and those favorites of yours are some of mine as well. Especially the Tyco, still one of my favorite figures of all time.

Also, about the BOTM figure, I don't believe I've ever been asked about it. But, I do have it pre-ordered. I'd like to have a few figures from each series (I really have to catch up on the raptors at some point); so, I got it as well as the Psittacosaurus and Styracosaurus. It'll go well with the Velociraptor I have.

Halichoeres

There's a lot of Protoceratops in the world! More than I would have guessed.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 19, 2020, 08:21:22 PM
There's a lot of Protoceratops in the world! More than I would have guessed.

That's for sure, there are also quite a few I still want to get a hold of. So much so, that most recent update is now out of date, because my package from avatar_brettnj @brettnj has arrived!

Yes, I am officially "in too deep" when it comes to Kaiyodo!

Here are a few of my personal Favorites from the bunch:

Sorry about the pictures, I'm still trying to figure out this new camera.

Halichoeres

Wow, quite a haul! The Dsungaripterus and Psittacosaurus are really gorgeous pieces. Not that the others aren't, but I'm especially fond of those.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres those two are my absolute favorites of that haul. The coloration of the Dsungaripterus and the dynamic pose and design of the Psittacosaurus just make them stand out.

After being stuck in customs for about a month, the beautiful PNSO Chungkingosaurus has arrived to take her rightful place as a focal point of my collection. I don't often get to hyped over a model being "life-like", especially when some people through that phrase around for Papo figures (which never look alive or all that realistic to me), but this is the most amazing looking figure I own.

Literally the next day, another figure arrived after a long journey from China, it's the Nanmu Spinosaurus! This is beautiful in a different way from the PNSO figure, being a movie replica more than anything. I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the review.

Finally, the Protoceratops collection has reached 24! These are definitely not the most eye-pleasing additions, but they fill that Protoceratops shaped void in my soul.

suspsy

Having children really makes you appreciate the Recur toys more. That Protoceratops may not be very pretty, but it can take a beating from a toddler like nobody's business. I'm very thankful for Recur's products.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Loon

Quote from: suspsy on June 27, 2020, 12:09:07 PM
Having children really makes you appreciate the Recur toys more. That Protoceratops may not be very pretty, but it can take a beating from a toddler like nobody's business. I'm very thankful for Recur's products.

Yeah, I have to agree. My sister's going to be teaching pre-K soon, and I've considered recommending these toys for her class. I probably would have loved the heck out these when I was a kid.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Loon on June 19, 2020, 09:30:00 PM
... my package from brettnj has arrived!
Yes, I am officially "in too deep" when it comes to Kaiyodo!
Congrats, join my club of Kaiyodo junkies ...

I know the Takara-Tomy 2011 Anchiornis is particularly hard to come bye.
Hope you didn't need to rob any bank for it.

I particularly like the UHA Collect-club Pterosaur ( dsungaripterus ?? ) -
the colors on this one are just stunning.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Loon on June 13, 2020, 07:03:39 PM
Yeah, I keep the ones I get in sets too. The Kaiyodo figures are the only line I have variants and duplicates from, I don't know why, but I just can't get rid of them.

Well, I rather recently got myself to sell off my duplicates. Took over 15 years in some cases, but hey...But what I mean is that I have Kaiyodos of species that I normally wouldn't collect. Basically when it comes to figures I try to limit myself to Permian and Mesozoic non-mammalian amniotes. But with Kaiyodos, I have the Palaeoloxodon skull and Megalania from series 4, as well as both variants of Pterygotus, both variants of the Dunkleosteus skull and one variant of Arsinoitherium from series 7.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Been a bit since my last update, but if figured this latest haul was worth sharing.

Firstly, these are the figures I got as part of a trade with avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking . A few are just upgrades or figures I'd sold and regretted, but I'm particularly excites about the Battat Triceratops.

And secondly, after a few months my Paleo-Creatures order from Dan's Dinosaurs arrived. My thanks to Dan for putting up with my impatience, as I assumed his setup with Paleo-Creatures was the same as Everything Dinosaur's. But, apparently, these are made to order.

Anyway, I really love them. Of course I do, they're prehistoric mammals, who I find myself drawn to more and more these days.

Oh yeah, and I got him...

Collection display update coming soon.

ceratopsian

That's a super haul.  I really like the Paleo-Creatures line and they are always worth the wait.  I've even commissioned a couple of pieces from Jetoar.  I order from him direct.  Glad you have your Battat Triceratops - this is a model I never tire of.  And thanks for reminding me how much I like my Carnegie Brachiosaurus!

Faelrin

Nice haul of stuff there. Nice Nedry collection of sorts too.

Edit: Did you get the SDCC one pre-ordered? If not here's info on when next it is coming: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCrYiyZnxjM/?igshid=rpf113elecc2
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: