You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Thanks avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor and avatar_Crackington @Crackington.

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono, to tag people all you need to do is type their name like this:

And then click on the highlighted blue box.

avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria, there's a Battat Triceratops on eBay rn for $40 with free shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114383830212

PhilSauria

@ Loon

Thanks for the tip-off on this one but due to the time difference of me being on the other side of the planet here in Australia (and the Triceratops being a rare item!) the listing has already been sold.

BlueKrono

There are two more on eBay right now for about 50.  ;)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

PhilSauria

Thanks for keeping an eye out, and much as I'd like to have one of these I do have to watch the finances in this pandemic-effected economy, at least as far as my finances go at the moment, and with this one already over $100 AU even before any bids come in I'll have to pass.

Loon

I've seen a few posts on a certain unnameable Dinosaur toy group on Facebook in which the collector calls their display (usually of Nanmu and Schleich figures, what?) a "natural history museum". I love that old museum aesthetic, honestly, and my shelves kinda fit that theme.

If I was to follow that, I didn't want a bunch of animals from different time periods on the same shelf. I'm not running a creationist museum, here. So, here they are:

First up is the Paleozoic.

My poor Arthropleura took quite the fall and his antenna popped out, but other than that, he's alright.

Next, the Triassic.

And here's the Cenozoic, the top shelf of which is all of my modern animal figures.

These are probably not the final setups, and I'm nowhere close to done yet, so I'll try to keep updating this thread.

Shonisaurus

You have been great Loon. By the way, don't you have dinosaurs in the exhibition? I see that the Mesozoic dinosaur figures do not appear. I really like how you have arranged the avatar_Loon @Loon  shelves my congratulations.

Jose S.M.

Those shelves look so nice and organized!

Faelrin

I'm loving the assortment of animals, and the organization for them too. I should also mention many of the things you have are ones on my wishlist (aside from some I have myself), so it is really nice seeing these altogether to get a sense of scale. I think I said something like this before though, but still doesn't hurt to mention again. I think I am really taken by the Paleozoic collection, and to a lesser extant, the Cenozoic stuff.

I'm also surprised to see some of the Paleo-Creatures stuff is smaller then I was expecting. Still that means they take up less space.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

That's a well organised display.  I've never quite had the patience to sort by period, other than in a rough sort of way!

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin: I have quite a few Paleo-Creatures models and they range from definitely "small" to "not very big".  None of mine is taller than the Moschops.  A couple are a bit longer in the base.  I think he might have done a couple of larger models that I didn't buy.

Loon

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , thank you, and yes, I do, but my dinosaurs still very much not presentable. They'll mostly make up the remaining 8 shelves of the main bookcases, under the Paleozoic and Triassic shelves. I'm gonna start working on the Jurassic shelves tomorrow.

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M., thank you! It just feels so much nicer to have them more organized.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, thanks, and I'm happy the shelves provided those comparisons for you. Also, yeah, some of the Paleo-Creatures figures are quite small, which also means they're very fragile. In addition to my poor Arthropleura's antenna, my clumsy self knocked both my Tully Monster and Xenocheryx off the self, resulting in them breaking. Oh well.

Thanks avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, also I understand that there are some larger Paleo-Creatures. I think there's a Tyrannosaurus, as well as some sauropod, that are pretty big, being closer to $100. The biggest one I own is the Dorudon.

ceratopsian

avatar_Loon @Loon. Yes, there was a sauropod. I quite liked it but was concerned about whether it would arrive intact, so didn't risk ordering it.

Loon

Despite having basically the whole day free, I only got two more shelves done. These represent the Jurassic.

I was honestly a little surprised by how few figures I had from this time period. This kinda messed up my plans, as I was hoping it would take up 4 shelves, but whatever. I'm sure the Cretaceous will be more than capable of filling the rest of the bookcase, maybe...hopefully...

First up is the more generic Jurassic shelf, which is basically everyone who didn't fit on the other shelf. I'm not the happiest with it; it's a little cluttered, but I don't see these figures as taking up two shelves.

Now, this one I'm really happy with, the Morrison shelf. Seeing them all together almost makes me wish that these models were all in scale. They're definitely in that super soft "toy scale", so, as long as the Allosaurus isn't as big as my Brachiosaurus, it's fine.

I like the formation idea, and I'll probably have a dedicated Hell Creek one at the bottom of the bookcase. I might also make smaller formation groupings with shelves (I've already got a nice idea for the Yixian).

So, that's it for now. I've already started getting the figures for the Early Cretaceous together, so that'll probably tomorrow's update.

Shonisaurus

Superb presentation avatar_Loon @Loon . In my case, I should also order my prehistoric animals in the same order that you have arranged them on the shelves and if possible by geological times and continents. You have been great.

Leyster

Really nice display, avatar_Loon @Loon! Just one thing: Wuerhosaurus is a cretaceous taxon.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Loon

Quote from: Leyster on September 10, 2020, 09:12:08 AM
Really nice display, avatar_Loon @Loon! Just one thing: Wuerhosaurus is a cretaceous taxon.

Thanks for the compliment and the info. My dumb  self just assumed it was Jurassic because it was a stegosaur. That's good though, I have to rearrange the shelves anyway, as I placed the wrong species of Miragaia on the Morrison shelf.

Halichoeres

Now that Morrison section just needs a Barosaurus. Come on, EoFauna...

Late to this, but obviously I'm in love with the Paleozoic and Triassic shelves.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

More lovely arranged shelves!

Loon

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. thanks.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'd like a nice barosaurus, but honestly, I'm good on Morrison Sauropods, I don't have that kind of space. Also, I'm happy you like the top shelves, they're two of my favorites as well.

Loon

Well, I was up literally all night. I've been having a hard time sleeping lately and those pills just ain't helping like they used to.

But, enough about me. My insomnia did have one upside; it gave me time to make an organized list of all the remaining figures I had to display for the Cretaceous. Thanks to that list, I was able to get all 6 remaining shelves done in a few hours (the past few days, I'd be lucky if I finished one shelf).

As you'll see, unlike most of the other shelves I've shown, these are not only arranged by time, but by location. So, there are some shelves with several formations in them.

Early Cretaceous Spain, China, Japan, and North America.

Early Cretaceous Africa, Argentina, Australia, and England.

Late Cretaceous North America (mostly the Dinosaur Park Formation)

Late Cretaceous Africa, China, China, Australia, and Japan.

Late Cretaceous China, Mongolia, Argentina, and Madagascar.

The final shelf is mostly the Hell Creek Formation; fitting, as it's what I think of as the end of the Mesozoic.

And my personal favorite shelf, the K–Pg extinction display. ;)

Jokes aside, that's it for the main bookcases, until one of you points out one of my inevitable mistakes (which I actually very much appreciate). But, there are still two small bookcases and a floating shelf to fill, so, I'll keep you posted.

Tomorrow: New Cenozoic bookcase, "Sea Monsters", and more!

Faelrin

I am absolutely loving these displays and your ideas on how to arrange them. Fantastic work. Looking forward to what's next.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: