You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

The new CollectA figures look really good. Nice to see they are getting out into the world. Also glad to see you went for the two older CollectA families. I really like these and wish they had proved popular enough for others to have been made.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

A load more lovely figures, thank you for sharing.  :))

I have to day looking at your collection is always a treat, but also a little surreal, because almost everything in your collection (beside the JP/JW stuff) is either something I own, something I want to own, or something I did own and had to part with or soon will. That said, at this point, many collections feel like that.
I just always like the way you display them too  :)
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

Since I'm not going to be buying new figures as regularly and since I'm off work for the next month and a half, I thought I'd showcase some figures from my collection for the next bit.

Battat Ouranosaurus
I don't often collect Battat, as many of the species they produced, while still very well done and accurate, don't appeal to me as much as newer figures. However, this Ouranosaurus was a must get.

This genus, despite being an incredibly unique ornithopod, rarely gets made; and, when it does get made, it's pretty bad. I guess that's because it's an ornithopod, and toy companies think kids find those boring.

Papo Plesiosaurus Nessy
This is a horrible Plesiosaurus. Everything about this figure is wrong; but, that means it's a perfect Loch Ness Monster. Safari's wonderful new Mothman figure and Monstrum have really got me back into cryptids.

I don't really count her as part of my prehistoric collection, but as a part of the cryptids. Here she is with her friends. I feel like they are the cast of some weird sitcom, where they all share an apartment.

Not gonna lie, a good amount of my social distancing time has been wasted watching monster shows on Amazon video.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 22, 2020, 05:10:39 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon Wow!!!!! All your new acquisitions look great [..] Thank you for sharing those beautiful photos.

Thanks, they are really amazing figures.

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 22, 2020, 08:30:12 AM
Yeah,  I really love that collection and how you Display it.  I especially like the rare Bullyland picture.  I own all of these, too,  als I am very proud of it.

Thank you, It's also nice to hear someone enjoys my display. Also, I love those Bullyland figure too. They are some of the most prizes figures I own.

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 22, 2020, 12:14:29 PM
The new CollectA figures look really good. Nice to see they are getting out into the world. Also glad to see you went for the two older CollectA families. I really like these and wish they had proved popular enough for others to have been made.

The two families have been figures I've wanted ever since I got into collecting. I love weird things like that, unfortunately, these little experiments are few and far between.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 22, 2020, 05:59:46 PM
A load more lovely figures, thank you for sharing.  :))

I have to day looking at your collection is always a treat, but also a little surreal, because almost everything in your collection (beside the JP/JW stuff) is either something I own, something I want to own, or something I did own and had to part with or soon will. That said, at this point, many collections feel like that.
I just always like the way you display them too  :)

Thanks. Similar tastes, I guess. When I saw your collection thread, I thought the same thing; you have a very nice and diverse array of species.

Faelrin

Congrats on scoring all these hard to get figures as of late.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Paleozoo Tiktaalik
I've been meaning to share this figure for quite some time, but I never got around to it. This is my first and only Paleozoo figure; though I'm sure it won't be alone forever

I'd wanted this figure forever, as despite being described around a decade and a half ago and being a very important transitional fossil, no one's made a Tiktaalik.

I like the detail more than I thought I would. The 3d printed nature of this model had me a little worried, as I feel they often look soft; but, this figure looks really goody regardless. This shiny look of the paint really brings out the "fishiness" of the figure.

Also, I love "handmade" works like this, you get something unique and get to support an artist at the same time.

Quote from: Faelrin on March 24, 2020, 03:36:59 PM
Congrats on scoring all these hard to get figures as of late.

Thanks, I'm really happy to have all of them. That's one benefit of obsessively checking eBay. Though, I've pretty much gotten every rare figure on my want list, so, that's a little boring.

SidB

avatar_Loon @Loon , please don't give up your "beach combing" on eBay just yet ... your availability posts are very useful and appreciated.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon Congratulations on your purchase of the Paleozoo tiktaalik. It is a very beautiful figure as is all the figures of this great company of prehistoric collectible animal models.

Faelrin

And there's another wonderful one you got. And that's the newest iteration of it correct?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Quote from: SidB on March 26, 2020, 02:44:27 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon , please don't give up your "beach combing" on eBay just yet ... your availability posts are very useful and appreciated.
Oh trust me, I won't. Even though I've gotten most of my hard to find wants, eBay searching gives me something to do. And thanks, happy they've helped people find stuff.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 26, 2020, 03:09:39 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon Congratulations on your purchase of the Paleozoo tiktaalik. It is a very beautiful figure as is all the figures of this great company of prehistoric collectible animal models.
It is one of the prettiest figures in my collection for sure. Looking at my shelf right now, it really sticks out from the rest.

Quote from: Faelrin on March 26, 2020, 04:47:02 AM
And there's another wonderful one you got. And that's the newest iteration of it correct?
I didn't even know there was a new version. It got here only a few weeks ago, so maybe.

Flaffy

Congrats on the Paleozoo Tiktaalik! Easily one of the best renditions of the creature available.

Could you take a pic of the underside of the Tiktaalik? I was wondering where the hole was, along with the thickness of the material since it's hollow.

Loon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 26, 2020, 07:25:15 AM
Congrats on the Paleozoo Tiktaalik! Easily one of the best renditions of the creature available.

Could you take a pic of the underside of the Tiktaalik? I was wondering where the hole was, along with the thickness of the material since it's hollow.
For sure, I'll post it in the morning.

UPDATE: I'll post them now:

Loon

These are going to be some of the last new figures I share for a while. All of these came yesterday from the wonderful Dejankins; always will recommend them.

Papo Cave Bear
It's not often a Papo figure interests me, aside, of course from the coming saviour, the Papo Giganotosaurus. However, I have a thing from prehistoric bears; maybe because I loved Brother Bear as a kid? So, after only recently discovering this figure, I decided to get it. This is really magnificent looking figure, with a real presence; it's quite imposing. The only things I don't love are the simplicity of the paint and fur sculpting.

Bullyland Europasaurus
Unlike the Cave Bear, I've wanted this figure for years. Like most figures I want, this comes down to it being a unique toy of a really interesting species. Compared to Bullyland's Spinophorosaurus, this is way better. I really think it's a fine figure other than...

...the head. There should be a law against making Sauropod figures with open mouths. It looks like some sort of Zombie-Sauropod-Homer Simpson Hybrid.

Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo, Diprotodon, and Thylacine
I've officially fallen into the "Southlands Replicas Trap", to the point where I'm dying to know when they're going to make a new extinct animal. Even still, their saltwater crocodile looks so beautiful, I could forgive them for not releasing an extinct species, if that comes out soon.

I like the Thylacoleo way more than I thought I would. The sculpt is pretty good, and really nails the intimidating look of a predator and the cuteness of a marsupial with those buck teeth.

I love the kind of disgusted look on the Diprotodon's face. Kinda reminds me of the guy who was Ron's rat in Harry Potter. This has officially become one of my favorite new figures; the sculpt and paint are so good, and work so well together.

Unfortunately, even though I still really like it, I think the Thylacine is the weakest of the lot. The head just looks a little too big, and the jaws look kind of unnatural.

Still, he looks really good with the female from CollectA.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your new acquisitions. You are honestly right about thylacine being the weakest figure in the group thankfully thylacoleo and diprotodon from Soutland replicas are quite remarkable figures.

The Bullyland Europasaurus is an acceptable figure but of course we need a toy dinosaur figure upgrade for this dwarf Cretaceous sauropod.

The ursus spelaeus or cave bear is without a doubt the best toy figure made of that prehistoric Cenozoic mammal.

I'm so glad you have all these figures.

Loon

Another new addition, Safari Ltd. Leptoceratops. I was lucky enough to get this rare little guy as part of a trade.

He really does look great with all my other minis.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 26, 2020, 11:41:50 AM
I congratulate you on your new acquisitions. You are honestly right about thylacine being the weakest figure in the group thankfully thylacoleo and diprotodon from Soutland replicas are quite remarkable figures.

Thanks, and I agree, these Southlands figures are amazing; hopefully they release more as soon as everything is back to normal.

SidB

Congrats, avatar_Loon @Loon , especially on the cave bear. I think that it's the best of a bare lot: the Schleich, Geoworld and the small Bullyland one, theres' not much available for such a prominent Cenozoic mammal. I also think that the fur could have been finished somewhat better, but it's a good specimen overall. Makes the bear scene a bit more bearable ... ouch!

Loon

Quote from: SidB on March 29, 2020, 02:42:11 AM
Congrats, avatar_Loon @Loon , especially on the cave bear. I think that it's the best of a bare lot: the Schleich, Geoworld and the small Bullyland one, theres' not much available for such a prominent Cenozoic mammal. I also think that the fur could have been finished somewhat better, but it's a good specimen overall. Makes the bear scene a bit more bearable ... ouch!

Thank you. Also, that fur is indeed off looking. I don't own any other Papo prehistoric mammals, but it looks to be a problem with quite a few of them, including the upcoming Megaloceros, unfortunately.

Halichoeres

My, you've been busy! I can confirm you have the retooled Tiktaalik, mine is the one reviewed on the blog and it looks a bit different. The most obvious difference is the eye, which has a round pupil here instead of the vertical slit of the original. I think the round pupil is an improvement.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 31, 2020, 01:40:35 AM
My, you've been busy! I can confirm you have the retooled Tiktaalik, mine is the one reviewed on the blog and it looks a bit different. The most obvious difference is the eye, which has a round pupil here instead of the vertical slit of the original. I think the round pupil is an improvement.

Ah, ok, I thought the figure had been redone in a more major way. I know Paleozoo has done that with the Anomalocaris and Dunkleosteus.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on March 31, 2020, 04:12:29 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 31, 2020, 01:40:35 AM

Ah, ok, I thought the figure had been redone in a more major way. I know Paleozoo has done that with the Anomalocaris and Dunkleosteus.

I think the shape of the fins is also slightly different, I just noticed the eye thing first. There are probably subtler differences that I'm not noticing, but it's definitely a less drastic overhaul than the Dunkleosteus was!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Thanks to sandspielfiguren.de, I've finally gotten some Bullyland figures I've been looking for.

Bullyland Anchitherium
Strangely, this is the only true horse I have in my collection. Making this one of the most unique figures I own. This figure also looks much better than I was expecting.

Bullyland Chalicotherium
I thought this figure was really rare for some reason. It wasn't, I guess.

With the CollectA chalicothere, Moropus.

Now that I have both of these calicotheres, I'm hoping someone makes a Tylocephalonyx.

Bullyland Geosternbergia
I've had a soft spot for Geosternbergia since it appeared in Disney's Dinosaur. This is good figure, though a bit old looking. Not outdated necessarily; though I think it could use some more pycnofibers.

With the Safari Pteranodon longiceps.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: