News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO—New for 2020

Started by suspsy, January 30, 2020, 03:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Wow, that came out of nowhere!
Very impressive stegosaurus, I saw a reconstruction like that before, but never would have thought to see one beautifully done!
PNSO is really giving all the other companies some serious competition especially with those price points!
I can't wait to see this figure in person 😃

Too bad PNSO is no longer free shipping on Amazon, at least I was able to get the majority before the change.

Bernie Brontosaurus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 07, 2020, 01:45:09 AM
Very impressive stegosaurus, I saw a reconstruction like that before, but never would have thought to see one beautifully done!
PNSO is really giving all the other companies some serious competition especially with those price points!
I can't wait to see this figure in person 😃

Too bad PNSO is no longer free shipping on Amazon, at least I was able to get the majority before the change.

Yeah, when and why did that change???

Bread

Quote from: Bernie Brontosaurus on December 07, 2020, 02:16:07 AM
I can't wait to see this figure in person

I would say this happened mid to late november. I couldn't tell you why. However, if you purchase $25+ you will have guaranteed free shipping. In my opinion, I would buy two of their medium size figures at once so it saves you money on shipping. This is what I have done and it helps save money on shipping costs in the log run. Also, at some point, I guarantee you that some of these figures will start to be available with prime, their Ankylosaurus and Wilson V3 were just recently added to prime about a month ago.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Bread on December 07, 2020, 02:53:43 AM

I would say this happened mid to late november. I couldn't tell you why. However, if you purchase $25+ you will have guaranteed free shipping. In my opinion, I would buy two of their medium size figures at once so it saves you money on shipping. This is what I have done and it helps save money on shipping costs in the log run. Also, at some point, I guarantee you that some of these figures will start to be available with prime, their Ankylosaurus and Wilson V3 were just recently added to prime about a month ago.

I bought the Lambeosaurus the week it came out and it was on prime. Also the Spinops used to be on prime and now both of those are not, I even think the Borealopelta was on prime for some days.

Faelrin

avatar_Takama @Takama Thanks for sharing that skeletal. I guess this is not wholly a new interpretation. I like it even more now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: Jose S.M. on December 07, 2020, 04:24:01 AM
Quote from: Bread on December 07, 2020, 02:53:43 AM

I bought the Lambeosaurus the week it came out and it was on prime. Also the Spinops used to be on prime and now both of those are not, I even think the Borealopelta was on prime for some days.
I wonder if that is based on your area, but if not I really missed that opportunity. Regardless of previous times being available with prime, future figures will soon be placed on prime, eventually....

ceratopsian

Here is what the Miragaia Project had to say about the accuracy of the PNSO model on Everything Dinosaur's Facebook post:

MIRAGAIA PROJECT 'Estmira'
"This has my approval. I really appreciate how the latest reconstructions were followed closely. I'm very happy with the result, I can see a lot of effort was put on this to not gett it wrong. It even has the intercalation of the cervical plates right!
I maybe would have made it with a couple less and a bit thinner caudal spines, and recently we found that the dorsal "splates" were even wider (and probably fewer of), but apart from that it is as good as I could picture it indeed! Congratulations on the work!"

If you haven't come across this project, here's their aim: "to mount in life position the most complete stegosaur of Europe - Miragaia longicollum MG 4863".  The results will go on show at the Museu Geológico de Lisboa, Portugal.

Gwangi

Well apparently I was not up to speed on Miragaia, so with that in mind I retract my previous statement. Bravo, PNSO.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: paleochris on December 06, 2020, 11:35:31 PM
Quote from: Takama on December 06, 2020, 11:08:21 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on December 06, 2020, 10:47:38 PM
Is it just me or are those proportions all out of wack?

No its just you

This is the last reconstruction? because I thought Miragaia had a huge spine on the shoulder, as shown in some skeletal diagrams and this model made by Dinone Studio, but maybe that has changed?

Yes, the newest Miragaia paper came out a year or two ago and included info from more complete specimens, as well as more rigorous comparison to Dacentrurus and other stegosaurs (there was some question of whether they were synonyms, but the new paper disproved that idea). I did a video on the Carnegie Miragaia discussing some of the changes to the reconstruction over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwR0j-dnkuQ

I love how the PNSO figure really looks front-heavy, like the center of gravity in close to the shoulders. This lines up with the conclusions of the latest research that the massive forelimbs and shoulder girdle likely acted as a pivot point for defensively swinging around the entire back half of the animal.

The Dinone Studio version unfortunately looks like it's based on some much older reconstructions from around the time Miragaia was first published. It lacks the long spines on the hips and tail (at first inferred based on comparison to Dacentrurus, but I think confirmed by the new specimens?). It has shoulder spines (now disproved for both Dacentrurus and Miragaia), and lacks robust forelimbs (it's even standing bipedally on its hind limbs, which was likely for stegosaurines, but if dacentrurines stood bipedally I'd almost expect it to be on the forelimbs!)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Duna

Another one for my list! What a delicate figure!

Sim

Quote from: Andre on December 06, 2020, 11:52:43 PM
There's also a pocture of the "Stegosauria" with the Miragaia, Tuojiangosaurus and last year's Stegosaurus. So I'm guessing there won't be a third Stegosaurid released in 20/21 :(

I wouldn't think too much of the group images, the ceratopsid one didn't show the Spinops but showed the Triceratops even though it's not part of the mid-sized series while the stegosaur one doesn't show the Chungkingosaurus that's in the same series as the Triceratops.

Shane

Deleted my comment. Others' comments made me realize I was attacking an artist's work unnecessarily. I was wrong to do so.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: RaptorRex on December 06, 2020, 09:56:35 PM
Somebody ask for another stegosaurid?

OMG. I was asking for a Miragaia the moment I saw their other new stego.
Christmas will be crazy this year. All my presents are PNSO, so far I have five of their new dinos on my list.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Shane on December 07, 2020, 08:35:05 PM

No its just you

So, this skeletal is by Ashley Patch.

Ashley is the same paleo-artist who did the "updated" Shringasaurus skeletal that a lot of people cited in saying the Safari Shringasaurus was "wrong" or "outdated".

..but I have not seen any credentials that state that Ashley Patch's skeletals are based on anything but her own observations.

Are these skeletals supported by scientific papers? I have not been able to find any information on Ashley beyond her being a hobbyist and paleo-artist.

Ashley's art is great, to be sure...but I think before people begin to cite it as "proof" or "scientific evidence" it should be noted that this individual is a paleo-artist and not (from what I can tell) a paleontologist, and is therefore these reconstructions are not necessarily backed up by scientific evidence.

I'm sure Ashley's skeletals are researched, but ultimately they appear to be her interpretation, and it just seems strange for a whole community to pivot their entire thinking on a particular species based on one paleo-artist's re-imagining.

S @Shane  if you read ceratopsians post just a few post back up, you will see more info about this.
Ashley's illustrated it pretty much accurately based on the research so it's not just her, not need to be dismissive about it.

stargatedalek

No its just you

Ashley is the same paleo-artist who did the "updated" Shringasaurus skeletal that a lot of people cited in saying the Safari Shringasaurus was "wrong" or "outdated".

..but I have not seen any credentials that state that Ashley Patch's skeletals are based on anything but her own observations.

Are these skeletals supported by scientific papers? I have not been able to find any information on Ashley beyond her being a hobbyist and paleo-artist.

Ashley's art is great, to be sure...but I think before people begin to cite it as "proof" or "scientific evidence" it should be noted that this individual is a paleo-artist and not (from what I can tell) a paleontologist, and is therefore these reconstructions are not necessarily backed up by scientific evidence.

I'm sure Ashley's skeletals are researched, but ultimately they appear to be her interpretation, and it just seems strange for a whole community to pivot their entire thinking on a particular species based on one paleo-artist's re-imagining.
Even if that wasn't incredibly dismissive "you need a degree to be right" nonsense, you'd still be incorrect. Just look the Skeletal PNSO themselves used, it shows the known material and that matches hers.

Shane

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 07, 2020, 10:15:30 PM

No its just you

Even if that wasn't incredibly dismissive "you need a degree to be right" nonsense, you'd still be incorrect. Just look the Skeletal PNSO themselves used, it shows the known material and that matches hers.

The intent was not to be dismissive and if it came across that way I apologize.

My comment was less about her work and more about the knee jerk reactions of the community when a new interpretation of something is done.

But ultimately I can see it isn't relevant to this, and I would just like to apologize again for seeming to minimalize a person's work.

Bread

More photos/comparisons with the Miragaia.

Bernie Brontosaurus

Wow! It looks so amazing! Now I really can't wait to see what the Zhuchengtyrannus is like!

Carnoking

That paint job holds up super well in hand!

Faelrin

They make such a beautiful pair. Almost looks as if they are checking each other out too. Like "Nice plates" and all.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: