News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kapitaenosavrvs' Dioramas

Started by Kapitaenosavrvs, February 20, 2020, 08:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kapitaenosavrvs

Helo again.

I am a bit slow, but i wasn't at home the last Days/weeks, so there wa snot that much of a Progress. But i am getting there. Slowly.

Thank you again, avatar_Newt @Newt :)

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 Yes, i would have preferred more closed mouths and imagine teh deep rumbling.

I am sorry avatar_Sarapaurolophus @Sarapaurolophus, but we have a dead Hadro now. But we are dead most of the Time in our Existing, so it should be okay. Unless Dinosaurs had a different Understanding of Time, Space, Spirits and Dimensions etc. You never know.

Thank you for your kind words in "my" Thread :) avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres

So, i sculpted a bit. First foreleg is ready, the rest of the legs has do be done tomorrow or the next week in general. The Photos are a bit wonky, so the Proportions look heavily off sometimes, but in real life, everything should be quite okayish. Looks a bit rough on the Pics aswell, but yeah. The Hindlegs have to grow a bit, too and i am a bit afraid of the feet. Small stuff, but managable i guess.

Of course i will have to work the details out after the shape is done. after that i can finally start with the foliage etc. And in the End, there is Dinopainting Time.

And please tell me, if there are major flaws. I wanted the forelimb to be a bit more grazile, but i went with a more muscular build. The feet/Hand position is a bit pronated, because of the way, the forlimb hangs around. Lifeless. Sadly.

EDIT: OH. I just realised, i somehow made an E. regalis...

Stegotyranno420

Wow, that is amazing. You have done a great job. I am so excited to see what happens next. I wonder how you learned(sorry if its been answered before)

Libraraptor

Beautiful! Which colour choices will you make?

Kapitaenosavrvs

Thanks, avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor! Oof, colours. I have a few Ideas, but the Mainframe is a Focus on natural looking colours for big Animals. There will be vibrant clours, but but not so much in your face. No extremly high contrasts and the Tyrannosaurs will look like 2 adult males. Haven't decided yet. All in all it should blend in with the "enviroment" they're living in. With the Endmontosaurus, i will try to use the pattern that is known. As far as i know at least. The Endmonto will have more colours than both rexes.

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 You can see my whole sculpting Experience here in the Forum. I am used to working with my hands and maybe this helps, too. In the End i watched a lot of sculpting videos and look at work from others/released Figures and try it myself. Experience is something i can't watch as a Video or buy, so in the End it is just trying and failing. And than trying again and this will happen over and over again. I am sculpting rather slow, because my high selfexpectations are often in my way.

Today i removed the crest, redid the spine and made the... feet. oof. That was a Pain in everything. I did 4 Feet, because i had to redo both of them :D
There are still a few things i have to rework (scutes. more scutes.), but now i can start with the Foliage and decorations of the Base :)))))  The Road is still really long, but i have the Time right now to work more on this Project :) Thanks for the Interest :)

Edit: Of course there will be some additional softtissure on the Hindfeet. Forgot that.

Newt

Edmontosaurus is looking great! I love how thick and powerful his neck looks. It's sometimes easy to forget how massive hadrosaurs were - they seem so much like dinosaurian horses or antelopes, but they were elephant-sized! Your sculpture brings out that majestic scope without making him seem dumpy.

Justin_

What is the base made of? Is it casts of real rock? (I don't think you've said already.)

Kapitaenosavrvs

Hi again. Sorry for the amount of Pictures, but i am happy to share progress.

avatar_Newt @Newt Oh yes. Alot of the Body is hidden in/on the gound, but i like the chunkyness, too in this Case. The Neck is maybe a bit tooo much, but alot is perspective. In the End it is not like i wanted, rather than: This came out. :D

avatar_Justin_ @Justin_ The Base is made of a thin wooden plate, and selfmade sculpt a mold ( I used a Tip from Lukes APS on YouTube. Changed the name to Geek Gaming scenics, but you'll find it both ways). Moreover i used airdrying Clay for the Feetplaces and a few of the Rockfaces are done with silicone Stonemolds and Plaster. Or have been sculpted by hand, while the Sculptamold like Stuff was still wet. I have a Picture of the Stonemold in this Thread, i think :) I can link it afterwards. I made a few Pics during the Process. Hope this helps.

So i said finish to the Edmontosaurus. Took ages and i learned a lot! After basecoating it black, all the Detail popped and i remembered to do less work on the surface after sculpting the Elasmosaurus. But well. I made a teaser, since i do not want so spam this Place with small update Picturestorms :D There is still ALOT to do to the Base and also the Painting of the Animals. I hope to finish it this week. But i do not want to say stuff i can't deliver safely^^

Just one Picture. Now i'll start with Plantbuilding! The best part! (No, its Stones. Alsways Stones, hehe.)

Ane here are the Photos for avatar_Justin_ @Justin_  As you can see, i messed up the Part for the Edmontosarus two times and had to cut down big chunks and remodel it, until everything felt balanced. Also, i messed up one time and almost destroyed the whole base.

Halichoeres

Excellent work. It's really coming to life. The texture on the Edmontosaurus's neck is especially good.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sarapaurolophus

Looking real good! Kudos on getting these tiny details in. I always struggle with Hadrosaurus hooves, especially the tiny toe/dew claw they have. Such a fickle thing to sculpt.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Hi again. I hope posting Pictures more often at the moment is not a Problem somehow.
I'll show a bit Progress on the Plantlife. There is still ALOT to do, but it shapes. The Plants are mostly custom made out of artificial Plants that are sold as Home decor Stuff. So they are mostly in the wrong size. They get glued together as i want ( haha :D yeah. As i want...) and then get paintet and based, to hide the Glue at the bottom of the Plant.

I startet with a custom Bisonia niemii (Thanks for suggesting, Halichoeres), but boy thats a Pain in the Back. I am not shure, if i am going to use it or try to use Paper. Luckily, we have some kind of a Tutorial on this in the Forum :) But it is a very fitting Plant.

There is still a lot of Plantwork to do. More Colours. More smaller and tiny ferns. Crushed Plants (Edmontosaurus). Dry Plants. E.g. Hopefully, i can hold this tempo and start painting the Animals next Week. This is, what i fear the most :D

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thank you very much. :)

avatar_Sarapaurolophus @Sarapaurolophus Danke dir! Oh yes, the Feet were made in the end of this whole process, because i was so afraid to destroy everything :D A magnifying glass would have been helpful sometimes. And way less shakey shakey Hands :D

Here is some Updatepitures for the interested :)
Sorry for the Picturequality. The Phone does things.

Halichoeres

Oh, the plants are looking great! Thanks for these peeks into the process.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Justin_

What glue do you use for putting the plants together? I haven't found anything that really holds that soft plastic (polyethylene?) together properly, apart from greenstuff.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Justin_ on April 04, 2021, 03:39:26 PM
What glue do you use for putting the plants together? I haven't found anything that really holds that soft plastic (polyethylene?) together properly, apart from greenstuff.

I use Hotglue on a flat Surface on a MaskingTape (For releasing). A Dot on it, start placing the single leaves. Then, just a bit of Hotglue on every new leaf and there we go. In teh End i may (depends) dip the Base of the Plant in a bigger Drop of Hot Glue. In the End i paint the Hotglue and Leaves and glue some Groundmaterial and Flock etc. on the Hotgluebase. Works fine to me :) This is a slow and long process, but i get used to it. Its just, that the Material i use for the Ferns is not perfect, since i would like the leaves to be shaped in a different angle, to place them more realistic. I maybe start to use Papercut Plats. I have to research a bit more.

Thank you Halichoeres, but today i have to real progress. I'll wait until theres more Progress. I startet a new Treestump on the left today, because i looked out of Balance as a whole.
Thanks for the Interest :)

Justin_

I'll try hot glue but I think I'll find it too messy. I had in fact read about using a hot glue gun on a wargame terrain tutorial and thought they were maybe just using the heat of the gun to weld the plants together but not the actual glue.

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 06, 2021, 06:10:57 PM
Its just, that the Material i use for the Ferns is not perfect, since i would like the leaves to be shaped in a different angle, to place them more realistic. I maybe start to use Papercut Plats. I have to research a bit more.

I reshaped bits of plastic fern in hot water by first folding them in foil, and then attaching the foil to bits of round wood or corks etc. for curving them more. Even better is to fold them in the thick foil that is used for tomato puree tubes, as it holds the shape you want without needing the wood.
I drop them in water that is still boiling on the stove, rather than water that's been poured into a bowl from a kettle and is already cooling.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Justin_ on April 07, 2021, 09:10:12 AM
I'll try hot glue but I think I'll find it too messy. I had in fact read about using a hot glue gun on a wargame terrain tutorial and thought they were maybe just using the heat of the gun to weld the plants together but not the actual glue.

Yes thats what i encountered when i did this the first time with the hotglue. But after a few Plats, i had my flow with it and its not even messy then. But i understand, that this is not what everyone wants for their workstyle. welding the plants together with heat could work. But often i made the experience with plastics, that they melt and weld easy at forst, but they are not welding at all and after they cool down, they just fall apart. Depends on the material of course, but just try.

QuoteI reshaped bits of plastic fern in hot water by first folding them in foil, and then attaching the foil to bits of round wood or corks etc. for curving them more. Even better is to fold them in the thick foil that is used for tomato puree tubes, as it holds the shape you want without needing the wood.
I drop them in water that is still boiling on the stove, rather than water that's been poured into a bowl from a kettle and is already cooling.

I will try this. A great Idea with the Tomato puree Tubes! I thought about bending the plastic leaves with hot water, but in the End i was a bit too lazy, because it was just for myself. I mostly work better, if i do it for someone else. But fixing them this way is a really easy way, thanks. I will do this on the next build with Ferns.

Bokisaurus

Looking amazing already! Impressive work on those plants and base!
I'm very impressed by how quickly you have improved in just a short time from your first post.

Looking back at all of your work, I was wondering if and when you get some time, I would love to see all of your finished work together if that's possible.
I think it would be so cool to see them all.
Keep up the great work and I can't wait for the next update 😃

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 14, 2021, 06:13:29 PM
Looking amazing already! Impressive work on those plants and base!
I'm very impressed by how quickly you have improved in just a short time from your first post.

Looking back at all of your work, I was wondering if and when you get some time, I would love to see all of your finished work together if that's possible.
I think it would be so cool to see them all.
Keep up the great work and I can't wait for the next update 😃

Thank you very much, Boki! Sadly, i am really slow/do not have too much time on working fast on the Projects. I just made Photos, to show them all together. As you can see, there ist alot of unfinished stuff. Building Bases feels easier than painting the Animals. I feel like i am not able to paint them the way i want. The "albino" Spinosaurus is that way since April 2020? :D Yesterday i spontaniously made two simple Bases for the Safari Liopleurodon and the CollectA Mosasaurus (Thanks to avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow and avatar_Loon @Loon, that showed their aquatic Figures.). Also, these two and the small Safari Mini Mosasaurus got Suede on the Bottom, so that they "float" 2mm from the ground (made that after the Photos today) and do not get damaged. I'll post some more Photos of them, when the Mosasaurus is painted up.

Meanwhile, the big T. rex Diorama got a Treestump that needs Paint and a lot of vegetation. An then the Part i am afraid of, haha. Painting the Animals. I have a 20 Years old Airbrush and Compressor here. Maybe i reactivate that and get the Parts i need. This would be perfect for getting the Base Colours and then teh Detail with the Brush. Or i just keep practising and get better with the brush, before i start new things with Airbrush. We'll see.

But right now, i have some kind of a non existing List. After finishing these works, there are 3 small Dioramas coming with Figures from a small beloved, german Company. Hehe. I am really looking forward to this, since the Big Diorama is... big and eats a lot of time. And Material^^

But right now i am feeling good and think the stuff keeps coming :) Thanks for the Interest and the nice Words. This Place here is the only place i really show my stuff and it motivates me alot. Also seeing all the other Projects. Yours, e.g. :-D

Oh and the Photo Quality. Since the last Update of my Mobile, the Camera got even worse. Its supposed to be "4k" but we all know how it is with Phonecameras. Sorry for that.

The Giganotosaurus had to move to the bright shelf, since i am not happy anymore with the work. Goes for most of the older works. We all know this feeling i guess, haha.

Bokisaurus

Thanks for the group and display shot, very impressive!😃
I love how you have a distinctive and unique style that translates on all of you sculpting and repaint that pulls them all together in a cohesive display!

No rush really on finishing up projects.
When I tried sculpting a few years back (I really need to finish posting them🤣) I rushed myself too much that many of them did not turn out as well as those I took my time on.

Keep it up!

Halichoeres

Very impressive seeing them all together like this! Fantastic display. I'm especially pleased to be reminded of the wonderful water effects you achieved with the Suchomimus diorama.

Sarapaurolophus

Love seeing all your dioramas together, especially how you sorted them based on animal type. Lovely display!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: