News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Gaming Miniatures and other Small-Scale Figures

Started by Justin_, April 15, 2020, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

'Glad to live in a time when both traditional sculpting and 3D printing methods are thriving.

The figure below is part of an upcoming Kickstarter by Bold miniatures. https://boldminiatures.com/

paintjob by artist Scott Palmer of Jetshroom bespoke miniature painting:
https://www.facebook.com/jetshroom

Justin_

Two new releases.

A metal Saurosuchus from Khurasan Miniatures. It's 15mm scale so must be about 35 to 40mm high.

A small, resin, Crystal Palace Iguanadon, from Alternative Armies, which they are calling an Ignosaur.

paintingdinos

Its been a long time since I last checked in on Khurasan Miniatures, but there are some new ones that really have my attention:

Dakotaraptor:

Deinosuchus:

And some great new prehistoric mammals. Might be time to actually make another order.

Justin_

The Utahraptors and Deinosuchus were sculpted by Sarah Whelan-Devan. I'm pretty sure the Camarasaurus pair is for them, although it isn't available yet.

paintingdinos

Quote from: Justin_ on January 26, 2022, 09:38:13 AM
The Utahraptors and Deinosuchus were sculpted by Sarah Whelan-Devan. I'm pretty sure the Camarasaurus pair is for them, although it isn't available yet.

Oh, I love the Camarasaurus. Every time I rediscover Sarah Whelan-Devan's sculpts I kick myself for forgetting to keep an eye on her Etsy shop. I would've sold a kidney for that Yutyrannus. Alas.

BlueKrono

I just got my order from Khurasan Miniatures last week. They have quite an impressive array of figures, but most are metal (I usually prefer plastic). Among the prehistorics I got were a slew of Daeodons and an army of Brontotherium-men.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

paintingdinos

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 26, 2022, 05:43:29 PM
I just got my order from Khurasan Miniatures last week. They have quite an impressive array of figures, but most are metal (I usually prefer plastic). Among the prehistorics I got were a slew of Daeodons and an army of Brontotherium-men.

Those bronto soldiers are extremely cool. I just wish they were in 28mm, then I could fit in with some of the other tabletop fantasy stuff I've dabbled in. 15mm is tiny, they'd be dwarfed (especially when one can only imagine they would be quite large in their native setting!).

If it helps at all, most tabletop minis are cast in pewter to reduce cost and so they are more durable. Resin, being more brittle, is more prone to break with regular play (not usually a concern for collectors, so I appreciate the desire for resin). Once primed, though, I find its hard to distinguish them other than the weight.

Oh, and forgot to mention, Antimatter games added a very nice kronosaurus to their lineup:

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/beast-of-kronos/

They moved production of the figures over to Dark Sword miniatures but still have the other cool prehistoric critters available like the Xiphactinus, Orthocone, Eurypterid, etc.

Halichoeres

There's a Kickstarter up where you can pledge for STL files to print at home or via Shapeways or wherever. The models aren't great but might strike particular fancies: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/666015773/prehistoric-life-3d-printable-miniatures/description
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AncientEra

Hey All!  Just wanted to make you aware that Ancient Era Artistry is getting into miniatures.  We are producing 1:57 and 1:65 scale scientifically possible dinosaur minis for use with 32 mm and 25 mm minis respectively.  So far we have three offerings:

Scent in the Air- Omar, Adult T. Rex walking-same as the 1:35 model kit available

Buio- Jurassic posed "angry" robust rex

Tiberius- adult alpha torosuaurs who will be set up against a challenger in an upcoming 1:35 model

all minis are 20% off for pre-order right now.  Each one is 2d printed in-house with super high-resolution LFS resin printing technology- .025 mm later height to capture all of eh meticulously sculpted details.   

Please check us out at wwww.ancienteraartistry.com 

M. Ramieri
Ancient Era Artistry
Paleoart Model Kits
htps://www.ancienteraartistry.com

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.