News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Great old dinosaur diorama

Started by Dr. Brad, September 24, 2012, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Brad

I posted this at the TarPit, but thought some of you might enjoy seeing pictures of this too. It's and old school Dino diorama featured in the small Paleontology section of the Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton, Alberta. The museum opened in 1967, and it seems as though this diorama was there from the beginning! Even though the dinosaurs would be portrayed differently these days, I still enjoy the craftsmanship of this diorama. The "Anastosaurus" as it's called, is very nice. I'd guess the diorama about 1/18 scale, maybe bigger. I enjoy looking at it when we visit Edmonton. I'll be sorry to see it go (if it does) when the museum gets its much needed renovations! Enjoy!

radman

What a lovely peaceful diorama!  With fortunately, no Tyrannosaurus rushing in to upset the scene.  I love the little  details, such as the moss and small mammals on the logs, and the other flora as well.  If I had only one shot to capture this diorama, I wonder which angle I would choose... ;)

ZoPteryx

I really like how well the background merges with the actual piece; and the level of detail is exceptional!

Dr. Brad

It really is quite a good diorama! Here's another angle that shows more of the groundwork!

Seijun

That is so neat, thanks for sharing. Those are really well done! The trachodon looks very real, despite the retro pose (what I mean is, the quality of the details making it look very life-like). I bet the artists could do some amazing modern dinosaurs too.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Ikessauro

I had trouble identifying what was background and what was real 3D stuff at a first look. Really an amazing work, the primitive swampy forest has such an atmospheric composition that brings everything to life.

Dr. Brad

I wish I knew more about the diorama's builders, how much it cost and other details. I'll have to ask questions when I go back there at Christmas! And yes, I love the level of detail in this diorama. It was so well planned. Notice the tail's trail is picked up in the painting! I wish I had the skills to do that! :-)

Seijun

Urge to sculpt retrosaurs...rising.....
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gwangi

Very beautiful diorama. Reminds me of the fantastic dioramas at the American Museum of Natural History. It is difficult see the transition from models to painting and looks like it goes on forever. The environment looks like a lot of places I've been to around my home only minus the retro non-avian dinosaurs.

deanm

Quote from: Dr. Brad on September 24, 2012, 08:03:01 PM
I wish I knew more about the diorama's builders, how much it cost and other details. I'll have to ask questions when I go back there at Christmas! And yes, I love the level of detail in this diorama. It was so well planned. Notice the tail's trail is picked up in the painting! I wish I had the skills to do that! :-)

Edmonton - my old stomping grounds. Many a visit to the Provincial Museum to look at the dinos and other stuff when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing the photos and bringing back some good memories!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow..that's amazing !  I love all the detail and the retro charm of it. ;D

If they do remove it..I would love to give it a new home. :)

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 25, 2012, 03:48:22 AM
Wow..that's amazing !  I love all the detail and the retro charm of it. ;D

If they do remove it..I would love to give it a new home. :)

I had the same thought myself.

tyrantqueen

This is nice. It has a serene and peaceful feeling.

Like the calm before a tyrannosaurus attack ;)

The models are really well sculpted too :)

Dr. Brad

I am going to try to find out what's going to happen to it. It would be a real shame to see it simply thrown out!

radman

I'll throw my hat in the ring here. Just in case this thing is actually being discarded, I'd be happy to provide any of the figures, or trees and logs, for that matter, a nice new home.  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dr. Brad on September 25, 2012, 06:50:10 AM
I am going to try to find out what's going to happen to it. It would be a real shame to see it simply thrown out!

Please do. I hate to see dinos go into the trash..especially art such as these. Would be an excellent addition to my collection/ possible museum I think. :)

Seijun

I would love to own those guys too :) But is anything even happening to them? Seems like a cool display for a museum to keep, just to show how far our knowledge of dinosaurs has come.

Himmapaan

If they were sensible, they would keep the whole thing intact, even if it gets relocated. One of the most beautifully crafted dioramas I've seen!

Jetoar

Ooooh amzing. Some day I would like to do a great diorama like as this  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ataraxus

many thanks for posting this. it has a very nostalgic effect to me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: