News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

NECA King Kong

Started by dragon53, June 11, 2020, 06:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd like to see figures of some of the dinosaurs from the original film.

Loon

Not to be overly negative, but I really don't care for this thing. Why not just make the original? Also, knowing NECA, quality control's going to be trash.

indohyus

Not even too sure on the accuracy, as I know it's meant to be the most recent, but doesn't seem that close. Wish it was 6" too, would scale better to the Godzilla figures.

tanystropheus

While I am a massive fan of NECA's TMNT, horror and Aliens figures, I don't particularly like the aesthetics on this thing. I would have preferred something along the lines of Bandai with the stylistic appearance adapted for this new film. I'm looking to REBOR to fulfill my King Kong needs (I'm not particular about the film version).

stargatedalek

Doesn't look at all like the current King Kong design. Are we sure it isn't meant to be the original design?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 12, 2020, 01:35:49 PM
Doesn't look at all like the current King Kong design. Are we sure it isn't meant to be the original design?

That was my assumption. Maybe the 80's one from King Kong Lives ?

The Prehistoric Traveler

It's a stylized version of the original Kong from 1933. The second head sculpt is actually quite accurate in that regard. That's the Cooper Kong all the way. The first head sculpt is an original design by NECA. This figure has nothing to do with the other movies. 

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

BlueKrono

If it comes in a two-pack I'm only interested in the crawler if someone wants to split it with me.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 06, 2021, 02:25:01 AM
If it comes in a two-pack I'm only interested in the crawler if someone wants to split it with me.

I might be your guy there bud.  only the ptero appeals to me

RaptorRex

Looks like accessories for part of a larger pack.

Wallnut

I get the pteranodon it looks good.

Loon

Is the crawler based on a creature from the original? I know there were some crawling creatures in the new one, so maybe it's a take on those?

Flaffy

I would've greatly preferred a proper Skull Crawler figure from the 2017 film.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Loon on February 07, 2021, 09:46:35 AM
Is the crawler based on a creature from the original? I know there were some crawling creatures in the new one, so maybe it's a take on those?

It's based on a planned scene from the original movie that was cut. The creepy scene at the bottom of the ravine in Jackson's Kong was based on the same scene, but omitted the crawler. Jackson did however film the ravine scene how it was supposed to appear in the original King Kong later and that one did finally have the crawler. The creature design was then revisited and turned into the Skullcrawler for Skull Island.
Based on the trivia I actually think it's far more interesting than the Pteranodon.

Roselaar

Quote from: PumperKrickel on February 07, 2021, 11:54:42 AM

It's based on a planned scene from the original movie that was cut. The creepy scene at the bottom of the ravine in Jackson's Kong was based on the same scene, but omitted the crawler. Jackson did however film the ravine scene how it was supposed to appear in the original King Kong later and that one did finally have the crawler. The creature design was then revisited and turned into the Skullcrawler for Skull Island.
Based on the trivia I actually think it's far more interesting than the Pteranodon.

The scene was cut, but the crawler was still briefly seen in the final film in the canyon scene. I love how Neca acknowledge this obscure creature and film history with it! :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Roselaar on February 07, 2021, 02:37:37 PM
Quote from: PumperKrickel on February 07, 2021, 11:54:42 AM

The scene was cut, but the crawler was still briefly seen in the final film in the canyon scene. I love how Neca acknowledge this obscure creature and film history with it! :)

Yes like Roselaar has pointed out the crawler is seen in the original 1933 version and is the only creature from the pit that made the cut. You can see it quite well at the end of the log rolling scene as it makes its way towards Driscoll on a vine, there is a clip on youtube just search for King Kong 1933 log scene. Here is a still of it.

I think it is cool that NECA chose to use the 1933 version for all three pieces, the second head for Kong especially looks really good I wish the Pteranodon was better, I don't know why they put that curve in the beak. I may buy these and modify them all to make them truer to the film.

Gwangi

I saw the King Kong at my local Target but passed on it, now I wish I hadn't. Hopefully they'll do the T. rex and Stegosaurus too at some point. The Pteranodon looks off, not sure how much I like that one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: