You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Desire for future BotM series from Creative Beast Studio

Started by Kaustav Bhattacharyya, July 19, 2020, 06:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Yes things have been moving along steadily so far with the ceratopsians to the point we now have our first paint samples. Of course if there is any issues that need to be corrected, that could slow things down, in addition to anything else, and depending on how many corrections they need to go through. I think that slowed the raptors down quite a bit, beyond everything else. I would certainly expect shipping to be a cause of concern however.

The campaign page has more information about the various waves, but to simplify it, the first wave consists of Zuniceratops, Monoclonius/juvenile Centrosaurus (for Kickstarter backers only), Triceratops (sub-adult), Styracosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Diabloceratops, Nasutoceratops, Protoceratops, Psittacosaurus, and Medusaceratops.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-ceratopsian-series-action-figures/description
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Has David hinted for larger dromeosaurs as future BotM series?

Faelrin

People have asked him about Deinonychus, etc even as far back as the raptor series kickstarter and he said he would like to do those eventually.

suspsy

I'd be fine with BotM eventually adopting original colour schemes, but I'd still like to see frog colour schemes before that happens. Preferably for the stegosaurs, which would have to include:

-Stegosaurus
-Hesperosaurus
-Wuerhosaurus
-Miragaia
-Dacentrurus
-Kentrosaurus
-Gigantspinosaurus
-Tuojiangosaurus
-Huayangosaurus
-Chungkingosaurus
-Yingshanosaurus

Yeah, I know there's plenty more species, but they're pretty fragmentary,
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Brontozaurus

I'd love a stegosaur line too but I'm not sure how it, or an ankylosaur line for that matter, would work given Silva's design philosophy of reusing body parts as much as possible. The raptors and ceratopsians only really need distinct heads for each toy; the body armor of stegosaurs and ankylosaurs is going to require far more unique parts, which could make costs higher or the line as a whole much smaller.

I can see how it could work though. Silva could make generic bodies without the armor and so sculpt separate pieces for plates and shells that slot in during the manufacturing process.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

suspsy

Well, Stegosaurus is like T. rex in that it's freakishly huge compared to most other members of its family. Many of the smaller stegosaurs would still be able to share bodies. But yeah, variation in plates and spikes would be a major factor.

Shonisaurus

I think it would be a success on the part of David Silva of the collectible figure brand Beast of the Mesozoic that the next goal of that figure company is focused on the stegosaurids, they are very interesting armed giants and, most importantly, dinosaurs whose defensive plates vary ostensibly from species to species.

I would be interested in a series of ankylosaurids and nodosaurids are other armored dinosaurs that are also very popular with collectors.

suspsy

Both ankylosaurs and nodosaurs would be great, but they'd present the same problem as stegosaurs: David wouldn't be able to get away with reusing the same body repeatedly. Not if he wants to do proper justice to the armour.

Ichabod Drift

I'm a little biased by my desire to see one of my favorite groups in this format but I think Hadrosaurs are the no-brainer next series after Tyrannosaurs. They are the perfect compliment to the Tyrannosaurs and Ceratopsians as the "big 3" of the Late Cretaceous northern hemisphere. And as we know with David's process, he likes to have 3 or 4 general body molds for these that he can part-share between genuses. Hadrosaurs will lend themselve perfectly to this. I'd love to see a Stegosaur or Ankylosaur line one day too but depending on how many animals he tackles in those, he could be sculpting different plates, spikes, and osteoderms for a year alone just on those.

stargatedalek

After another wave or two of related animals, I'd rather see the formula change. With a lot of parts already made for "raptors", ceratopsians, and tyrannosaurs, switching to formations or general regions could allow the series to branch out in new directions with stranger or less popular animals while still reusing many parts.

IE Nemegt, reusing some feathered tyrannosaur parts for Deinocheirus, some raptor parts for Gallimimus or an oviraptorosaur, a new combination of existing raptor parts for a troodont, re-releasing Mononykus or using feathered tyrannosaur parts to make it in a larger scale, Psittacosaurus parts for Homalocephale or Prenocephale, and then a new sculpt like Saurolophus.

Ostafrikasaurus

I think a line of Stegosaurs or Hadrosaurs would be great. Can you imagine the awesome paint jobs they'd give Parasaurolophus and his kin? If they ever decided to branch out into non-dinosaur prehistoric creatures, I'd love to see a line of prehistoric proboscideans (mammoth, mastodon, stegodon, platybelodon, etc.) and a line of prehistoric felids (smilodon, cave lion, eusmilus, nimravus, etc.).
"Live fast, eat grass, die in a blast." - Late Cretaceous herbivore

indohyus

Quote from: Ostafrikasaurus on September 11, 2020, 08:41:15 PM
I think a line of Stegosaurs or Hadrosaurs would be great. Can you imagine the awesome paint jobs they'd give Parasaurolophus and his kin? If they ever decided to branch out into non-dinosaur prehistoric creatures, I'd love to see a line of prehistoric proboscideans (mammoth, mastodon, stegodon, platybelodon, etc.) and a line of prehistoric felids (smilodon, cave lion, eusmilus, nimravus, etc.).

The Shantungasaurus from that line would be huge!

suspsy

Don't forget that David Silva is also planning a series of dragon figures, so it may be some time before he gets around to BotM Series 4.

stargatedalek

Interesting, I wonder what general designs they'll follow, being more fantasy or science fiction. Assuming they lean towards the latter perhaps we might see some sneaky parts that could later be shared with pterosaurs!

Shonisaurus

Could make Beasts of the Mesozoic a line of rare dinosaurs in the toy market for example, gigantoraptor, ornithomimus, gallimimus, garudimimus, struthiominus, pelecanimus, harpymimus, drinker, othiniela, parkosaurus, muttaburrasaurus, effexia, anserimodus, sinusornus, anserimrassia , hysilophodon, koreaceratops, jeholosaurus among other species of dinosaurs little or nothing treated in the toy dinosaur market and collectibles (resin dinosaurs).

On the other hand, since David Silva plans to make a series of dragons and although he does not belong to the forum, it would be interesting for him to make beings from world mythology and gods from mythology, Assyrian, Persian, Celtic, Aztec, Greek, Roman, Hittite.

Reuben03

Ooo I love this thread!!! Yes I've always wanted a BOTM Mosasaur series, but most importantly my biggest dream is Ultra Mini blind bags, tiny K&M mini style but accurate, and in blind bags so you don't know what you'll get and they're tiny and cute and you can collect them all! Yes yes yes!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

suspsy

Quote from: Reuben03 on October 14, 2020, 02:38:12 PM
Ooo I love this thread!!! Yes I've always wanted a BOTM Mosasaur series, but most importantly my biggest dream is Ultra Mini blind bags, tiny K&M mini style but accurate, and in blind bags so you don't know what you'll get and they're tiny and cute and you can collect them all! Yes yes yes!

Why on Earth would Creative Beast do something like that? It defeats the entire purpose of the BotM line.

Dinoxels

Really isn't a BoTM thing, but from CollectA or Safari I would like to see something like this.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Faelrin

avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 A mosasaur series would be good. Lots of interesting genera that could be done. There are not too many figures of mosasaurs out there as is either, and with a few recent exceptions most are outdated now. I'd only wonder what scale those would need to be in. Need to be smaller then the 1:18th for sure I would imagine. Granted probably not a lot of articulation that could be added except what's present on the Mattel Mosasaurus, and maybe the torso and tail as well, considering their anatomy.

That other suggestion is not something I would expect him to do, considering why he even started this line in the first place. I know he wasn't fond of the fact that when it comes to the dinosaur/prehistoric animal and animal figure market it is static models that dominate it (with a few exceptions here and there just as JP, etc), and he is mostly an action figure collector, so he sought to change that.

That second suggestion would be much better left to companies like Safari Ltd, CollectA, or PNSO perhaps. While Safari Ltd hasn't offered any new prehistoric mini figures in a while (such as from TOOBS), I believe CollectA had actually done blind bags before as well as the tubes. PNSO made a lot of mini figures, including some obscure and under represented genera such as Anchiornis, etc, but hasn't done any new ones since 2018 I think. Kaiyodo is also one worth looking into. They make amazing and mostly accurate mini figures. Their Dino Tales line has lots of obscure genera as well (such as from the Paleozoic), but of course some figures have become outdated in their reconstructions as the science changes in time. Their newer figures hold up though.

stargatedalek

Please no. Blind bags are a disgusting anti-consumer practise and I really loath for any more companies to jump on board. Sports cards and Magic and stuff is one thing, but when it's done with toys you're playing into children's relative inability to rationalize the gambling elements, just like when it's done in video games.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: