You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Desire for future BotM series from Creative Beast Studio

Started by Kaustav Bhattacharyya, July 19, 2020, 06:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 14, 2020, 04:35:40 PM
Quote from: Reuben03 on October 14, 2020, 02:38:12 PM
Ooo I love this thread!!! Yes I've always wanted a BOTM Mosasaur series, but most importantly my biggest dream is Ultra Mini blind bags, tiny K&M mini style but accurate, and in blind bags so you don't know what you'll get and they're tiny and cute and you can collect them all! Yes yes yes!
Please no. Blind bags are a disgusting anti-consumer practise and I really loath for any more companies to jump on board. Sports cards and Magic and stuff is one thing, but when it's done with toys you're playing into children's relative inability to rationalize the gambling elements, just like when it's done in video games.s.

e x a c t l y.

I love collecting small creatures like I'm 2 years old or something , and I love scientifically accurate dinosaurs. It would make me complete .

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Flaffy

Quote from: Reuben03 on October 14, 2020, 04:54:58 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 14, 2020, 04:35:40 PM
Quote from: Reuben03 on October 14, 2020, 02:38:12 PM
Ooo I love this thread!!! Yes I've always wanted a BOTM Mosasaur series, but most importantly my biggest dream is Ultra Mini blind bags, tiny K&M mini style but accurate, and in blind bags so you don't know what you'll get and they're tiny and cute and you can collect them all! Yes yes yes!
Please no. Blind bags are a disgusting anti-consumer practise and I really loath for any more companies to jump on board. Sports cards and Magic and stuff is one thing, but when it's done with toys you're playing into children's relative inability to rationalize the gambling elements, just like when it's done in video games.s.

e x a c t l y.

I love collecting small creatures like I'm 2 years old or something , and I love scientifically accurate dinosaurs. It would make me complete .

Yeah no I'm not paying 30-40 dollars only to get a figure I don't want or care for.

Loon

Just what the world needs, for every toy line to be Funko-ized. Like, I haven't stepped into a Hot Topic in a while, but I'm pretty sure, outside of the aforementioned company, that blind bags are over. Like, I can remember back in 2015/15 literally every toyline and it's mother had a blind bag series...that eventually ended up on clearance.

Reuben03

Quote from: Faelrin on October 14, 2020, 03:39:25 PM
avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 A mosasaur series would be good. Lots of interesting genera that could be done. There are not too many figures of mosasaurs out there as is either, and with a few recent exceptions most are outdated now. I'd only wonder what scale those would need to be in. Need to be smaller then the 1:18th for sure I would imagine. Granted probably not a lot of articulation that could be added except what's present on the Mattel Mosasaurus, and maybe the torso and tail as well, considering their anatomy.

That other suggestion is not something I would expect him to do, considering why he even started this line in the first place. I know he wasn't fond of the fact that when it comes to the dinosaur/prehistoric animal and animal figure market it is static models that dominate it (with a few exceptions here and there just as JP, etc), and he is mostly an action figure collector, so he sought to change that.

That second suggestion would be much better left to companies like Safari Ltd, CollectA, or PNSO perhaps. While Safari Ltd hasn't offered any new prehistoric mini figures in a while (such as from TOOBS), I believe CollectA had actually done blind bags before as well as the tubes. PNSO made a lot of mini figures, including some obscure and under represented genera such as Anchiornis, etc, but hasn't done any new ones since 2018 I think. Kaiyodo is also one worth looking into. They make amazing and mostly accurate mini figures. Their Dino Tales line has lots of obscure genera as well (such as from the Paleozoic), but of course some figures have become outdated in their reconstructions as the science changes in time. Their newer figures hold up though.

Yeah I suppose. I just hate the newer aesthetic. And their never fully accurate when they make minis either. The 90s mini collectible and application of modern scientific knowledge can coexist, it's just that no ones done it yet. I really don't see any charm in safari ltd, schleich, collectA etc nowadays, the models just don't look nice and they are never 100% up to date when they come out.

BlueKrono

Mosasaurs are all the rage right now, and I think there would be enough to do a line, especially if he gave them creative color schemes like he has with the other lines. I'd throw my hat in for plesiosaurs and pliosaurs - lots of diversity there.

Regarding blind bags I'm going to quote Simon Cowell: "It's a no from me."
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

Mosasaurus would be interesting but many of them are immense I do not know if it would be profitable to sell large figures such as the mosasaurus and the tylosaurus with size like the Nanmu Studio mosasaurus, they would only be sold by lowering prices and even making them smaller could be an investment in their case.

stargatedalek

There are plenty of smaller mosasaurs that could be the series focus, with one or two of the big names in a smaller scale to reuse parts of the smaller species. Kind of like the Tyrannosaur series but reversed.

PumperKrickel

A mosasaur line-up would be interesting, but I think it would be too much of a gamble. Raptors, ceratopsians and tyrannosaurs all have a very strong presence in media, so those were relatively safe choices. Sure, Mosasaurus is quite popular right now, but beyond that I´m not too sure. I think David´s more likely to make a line of medium sized theropods.

Ceratosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Cryolophosaurus
Monolophosaurus
Megalosaurus
Liliensternus
Metriacanthosaurus
Sinosaurus
Concavenator

Or something like that.

stargatedalek

What about a mini-series? Just the basics, Mosasaurus, Tylosaurus, and maybe Halisaurus and Dallasaurus for smaller reps. Could share tail parts with an Ichthyosaur and flipper parts with a plesiosaur or an elasmosaur.

suspsy

I'd like to see Prognathodon and Globidens included.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

I wrote here why I think blind bags are a scam: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3810.msg111087#msg111087

Of course, if the reason a person enjoys blind bags is just the anticipation and surprise, well, that's not really something that math will answer. As I've said before, this is an irrational hobby, so what's one additional layer of irrationality?

Given your preferences, though, avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03, your best bet might be badgering Yowie to make a new prehistoric series, which they last did around 2002.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reuben03

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2020, 04:05:37 AM
I wrote here why I think blind bags are a scam: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3810.msg111087#msg111087

Of course, if the reason a person enjoys blind bags is just the anticipation and surprise, well, that's not really something that math will answer. As I've said before, this is an irrational hobby, so what's one additional layer of irrationality?

Given your preferences, though, avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03, your best bet might be badgering Yowie to make a new prehistoric series, which they last did around 2002.

Funny you mention that, I'm literally in the process of badgering another company for a series of tiny prehistoric marine animals right now 😂 they produced the smallest shark toys in the world, and not just great whites or generic mackerel sharks, some obscure species too! They literally fit on the end of my finger and I love them, so I am trying to contact them to get them to do prehistoric marine animals like anomalocaris and dunkleosteus and kronosaurus and Ophthalmosaurus and weird paleozoic fish n all that. Wish me luck 😂

Halichoeres

Quote from: Reuben03 on October 15, 2020, 02:20:52 PM

Funny you mention that, I'm literally in the process of badgering another company for a series of tiny prehistoric marine animals right now 😂 they produced the smallest shark toys in the world, and not just great whites or generic mackerel sharks, some obscure species too! They literally fit on the end of my finger and I love them, so I am trying to contact them to get them to do prehistoric marine animals like anomalocaris and dunkleosteus and kronosaurus and Ophthalmosaurus and weird paleozoic fish n all that. Wish me luck 😂

Intriguing. Apologies to readers of this thread for going a bit off-topic, but avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 can you tell me more about this shark series?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Reuben03

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2020, 06:08:41 PM
Quote from: Reuben03 on October 15, 2020, 02:20:52 PM

Intriguing. Apologies to readers of this thread for going a bit off-topic, but avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 can you tell me more about this shark series?

Yes, they are sold in the centre of bouncy balls and they are gorgeous, I bought two from Plymouth aquarium after a trip to Lyme Regis to fossil hunt and they were the best part of the holiday. Distributed by puckator, the ones I bought were a microscopic little goblin shark about as long as a fingernail, and a tiny little port Jackson shark that resembled a hybodus, landing itself a spot on my fossil shelf next to my ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs. Definitely worth picking up a few as they are cheap and Have many underrepresented species. They are the perfect shark toy in my opinion. I ADORE them and just wish that more people would recognise them and show the company this they need to make prehistoric marine animals. You'll see what I mean when you see them, and how well a little dunkleosteus or anomalocaris would look in this style! //https://www.puckator.co.uk/ty504-shark-3d-bouncy-ball-4cm.html Please spread the word and make some noise so I can finally have the worlds tiniest prehistoric marine animal toys go from a dream to a reality. Enjoy!

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: PumperKrickel on October 15, 2020, 12:04:44 AM
I think David´s more likely to make a line of medium sized theropods.

Ceratosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Cryolophosaurus

Monolophosaurus
Megalosaurus
Liliensternus
Metriacanthosaurus
Sinosaurus
Concavenator

Or something like that.

I hope not as that would be death to my wallet :P

BlueKrono

I mean... it is some serious self-sabotage for me to suggest marine reptiles.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Thanks for the info, avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03. I would definitely consider buying some of those if they were prehistoric sharks.

Reuben03

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 17, 2020, 05:32:55 PM
Thanks for the info, avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03. I would definitely consider buying some of those if they were prehistoric sharks.
no problem, they are great for background marine animals if your making a diorama or something. Also I adore your pfp so much, what exactly is it?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Reuben03 on October 17, 2020, 06:20:26 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 17, 2020, 05:32:55 PM
no problem, they are great for background marine animals if your making a diorama or something. Also I adore your pfp so much, what exactly is it?

Thanks! It's an actinopterygian fish (specifically pycnodont) called Brembodus http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4856.msg248247#msg248247

Subduction

Oh shoot. There are so many cool series David could create after the Tyrannosaurs one. And a lot of them were already mentioned:

- Sauropods
- Hadrosaurs and Iguanodontids
- Stegosaurs
- Spinosaurids
- Ankylosaurs and Nodosaurs
- Prehistoric sharks
- Pterosaurs
- Marine Reptiles (Mosasaurs, Ichthyosaurs, and Plesiosaurs)

Here are some groups I'd love to see:
- Pachycephalosaurs (Faelrin made me realize I forgot to include this group originally)
- Prehistoric crocodilians
- Allosaurs/Carcharodontosaurs
- Larger raptor species, such as Deinonychus and Utahraptor
- "Maniraptorans" (Since I don't think David would ever create a series dedicated solely to Therizinosaurs, Ornithomimids, Oviraptors, and closely related groups, we'll just lump them together)
- Abelisaurs (Not sure if there are enough species to warrant their own series)
- Other Stand Alone Theropods (Species that are complicated to classify and/or don't have enough members to warrant their own series, such as Dilophosaurus, Megaraptor, Monolophosaurus, and Torvosaurus)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: