News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I

Another great old-school diorama

Started by ihatefeathers144, September 28, 2012, 02:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihatefeathers144

Hi everyone, since Dr. Brad posted some great photo's of an old school museum dio, I thought I would post these from my recent trip to the National museum of natural history in Washington D.C. The dinosaur hall is going to get an upgrade & I doubt these will be returning :(

[attachment msg=20039][/attachment]

ihatefeathers144

Another one..

[attachment msg=20040][/attachment]

ihatefeathers144

and another...

[attachment msg=20041][/attachment]

ihatefeathers144

And another..

[attachment msg=20042][/attachment]

ihatefeathers144

And another...(how the hell do you post multiple pics!?!)

[attachment msg=20043][/attachment]

ihatefeathers144

Now the Cretaceous...

[attachment msg=20044][/attachment]

ihatefeathers144

Now for the King...

[attachment msg=20045][/attachment]

ihatefeathers144

Last one. Sorry about the picture quality of all of these. The diorama in the Canadian museum that Dr. Brad posted I believe is better executed than these but I think these are also wonderful to see in person. Hope everyone enjoys!

[attachment msg=20046][/attachment]

Jetoar

I agree with you. I think that the old dioramas has something that nowadays the new dioramas does not have  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ataraxus

wow, i very like this. it has the same effect to me like the painting of Zdenek Burian. it remembers me on my childhood. thanks for posting!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Always loved seeing these..used to have a set of cards with them featured.  I recall always wanting them..so much more awesome than the toys I owned then.. :)

Dr. Brad

I would love to see these in person - not going to happen, but I would love it! Thanks for posting these. They're great!

ProSauropod

I agree - maybe it's the sense of age, but the dioramas "of the past, from the past" somehow bring home the sense of what it was like better to me.  Maybe - my impression - these dios recreate a world that had dinosaurs in it, as opposed to "Here's a T-rex!" with some plants and rocks in the background.  Large as they were compared to us, dinos were still pretty small compared to their world - and the integration of animals into the environment comes across much better in these. 

Brontozaurus

Quote from: ihatefeathers144 on September 28, 2012, 02:19:54 PM
And another...(how the hell do you post multiple pics!?!)

It's pretty easy actually. Make an account on an image hosting site like Photobucket, upload your pics, then past the IMG code into your post. Hope this helps!
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

tyrantqueen

I like to imagine old dioramas and restorations like these as depictions of dinosaurs from an alternate universe. Where dinosaurs actually were cold-blooded tail dragging lizards ;)

Haha don't take that too seriously...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.