News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Trivia: THE LOST WORLD & JOURNEY TO CENTER OF THE EARTH

Started by dragon53, September 29, 2020, 04:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

TRIVIA---Fernando Lamas and his wife, Arlene Dahl, co-starred in two dinosaur movies based on sci fi novels in which the movie dinosaurs were really live reptiles with parts glued to them to make them look prehistoric.
Lamas co-starred in THE LOST WORLD, based on the Arthur Conan Doyle novel, in which the dinosaurs were really lizards, Komodo dragons and crocodiles. KING KONG special effects legend Willis O'Brien was hired to do the stop-motion special effects, but his expensive dinosaur models were replaced by live reptiles because they were cheaper.
Dahl co-starred in JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, based on the Jules Verne novel, in which the Dimetrodons were really Rhinoceros Iguanas with sail fins glued to their backs.

Fernando Lamas co-starred in THE LOST WORLD, based on the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novel, in which the dinosaurs were really lizards, Komodo dragons and crocodiles. THE LOST WORLD also starred Michael Rennie, Jill St. John, Claude Rains and David Hedison.

Lamas' wife, Arlene Dahl, co-starred in JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, based on the Jules Verne novel, in which the Dimetrodons were really Rhinoceros Iguanas with sail fins glued to their backs. JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH also starred James Mason, Pat Boone and Diane Baker.

HD-man

Quote from: dragon53 on September 29, 2020, 04:38:17 PMTRIVIA---Fernando Lamas and his wife, Arlene Dahl, co-starred in two dinosaur movies based on sci fi novels in which the movie dinosaurs were really live reptiles with parts glued to them to make them look prehistoric.
Lamas co-starred in THE LOST WORLD, based on the Arthur Conan Doyle novel, in which the dinosaurs were really lizards, Komodo dragons and crocodiles. KING KONG special effects legend Willis O'Brien was hired to do the stop-motion special effects, but his expensive dinosaur models were replaced by live reptiles because they were cheaper.
Dahl co-starred in JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, based on the Jules Verne novel, in which the Dimetrodons were really Rhinoceros Iguanas with sail fins glued to their backs.

Last I checked, there aren't any Komodo dragons or crocodiles in "THE LOST WORLD". Also, there aren't any non-bird dinos in "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH".
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Crackington

Isn't the third photo down a juvenile croc? Not sure what it's masquereding as though 🤭

stargatedalek

Quote from: HD-man on October 02, 2020, 06:45:59 AM
Quote from: dragon53 on September 29, 2020, 04:38:17 PMTRIVIA---Fernando Lamas and his wife, Arlene Dahl, co-starred in two dinosaur movies based on sci fi novels in which the movie dinosaurs were really live reptiles with parts glued to them to make them look prehistoric.

Last I checked, there aren't any Komodo dragons or crocodiles in "THE LOST WORLD". Also, there aren't any non-bird dinos in "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH".
Are you, not looking at the images? Of these poor reptiles with props glued to their skin?

The iguanas make for a decent effect, their upright stance actually almost passes for Dimetrodon. Wouldn't mind seeing a modern film try this with humane adhesives and modern animal practices.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: HD-man on October 02, 2020, 06:45:59 AM

What might be happening is that there are several adaptations of those novels. Some used stop motion (like the Lost World one I remember) and some live reptiles.

CityRaptor

Well, it should be obvious that this is the 1960s version.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

HD-man

Quote from: Crackington on October 02, 2020, 06:59:56 AMIsn't the third photo down a juvenile croc?

Nope, an alligator.

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 02, 2020, 02:29:58 PMAre you, not looking at the images? Of these poor reptiles with props glued to their skin?

Are you? Like I said, non-bird dinos are being played by modern reptiles in "THE LOST WORLD", but not by Komodo dragons or crocodiles. Also, no non-bird dinos are being played in "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH".

Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 02, 2020, 07:03:32 PMWhat might be happening is that there are several adaptations of those novels.

Not sure what you're talking about. I'm talking about the 2 movies pictured in the 1st post.

Crackington

I'm a bit confused by some of the responses in this thread. Wasn't  D @dragon53 pointing out that Irwin Allen's 60s films of the two novels were using live reptiles? This is what he then illustrates with the photos chosen.

Some responses appeared to miss this and seemed to indicate that he was referring to the novels? That's why I pointed out the photo with the croc(odilian) 😉 and I think  why avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  and avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor made their points, though they can confirm if that's correct or not. Hope I haven't caused any offence.

Must say I hated these films as a kid, as I thought they should have used stop motion like Harryhausen and indeed his mentor, Willis O'Brien.

I've softened a bit now though and wouldn't mind watching them again all these years later.

Shonisaurus

(Deleted)

HD-man

Quote from: Crackington on October 02, 2020, 10:50:47 PMSome responses appeared to miss this and seemed to indicate that he was referring to the novels? That's why I pointed out the photo with the croc(odilian) 😉 and I think  why avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  and avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor made their points, though they can confirm if that's correct or not. Hope I haven't caused any offence.

No worries, I'm not offended, just surprised by the posts in this thread. It's not like we're talking obscure species, but famous ones. So why am I the only 1 here to point out that 1) that's obviously not a Komodo dragon pictured, but some other kind of varanid, & 2) that's obviously not a crocodile pictured, but some kind of alligator? Likewise, why am I the 1 here to point out that Dimetrodon isn't a dino?

Quote from: Crackington on October 02, 2020, 10:50:47 PMMust say I hated these films as a kid, as I thought they should have used stop motion like Harryhausen and indeed his mentor, Willis O'Brien.

I've softened a bit now though and wouldn't mind watching them again all these years later.

You can still hate "THE LOST WORLD" for its animal abuse. I'm not sure if "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH" counts as animal abuse, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 02, 2020, 11:11:20 PMI do not know if it has been commented before but in bigbadtoystore the news of ceraptosidos are available in pre-order I pass the reservation link.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?SearchText=Beasts+of+the+Mesozoic+Ceratopsian

Wrong thread.

Shonisaurus

Crackington

quote author=HD-man [link=topic=8959.msg266962#msg266962 date=1601699904]
No worries, I'm not offended, just surprised by the posts in this thread. It's not like we're talking obscure species, but famous ones. So why am I the only 1 here to point out that 1) that's obviously not a Komodo dragon pictured, but some other kind of varanid, & 2) that's obviously not a crocodile pictured, but some kind of alligator? Likewise, why am I the 1 here to point out that Dimetrodon isn't a dino?

You can still hate "THE LOST WORLD" for its animal abuse. I'm not sure if "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH" counts as animal abuse, but I wouldn't be surprised.
[/quote]

Don't think I'll be the last person to confuse a croc with an alligator, I thought it had a pointy nose like a young croc - my eyesight isn't too great these days!

Thinking a bit more on the films, they actually did have good casts, which is where the frustration is with not having better effects to match. I disagree with avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek here and wouldn't like to see anyone use reptiles in this way again. I think I preferred the giant dino puppets in the Land that Time Forgot instead!  ;D

stargatedalek

There were two varanids in The Lost World, one was heavily patterned and probably a lace monitor, but the one pictured here was only identifiable as a generic brown colour with a relatively broad head (much broader and stockier neck than the other one too), and that's assuming it wasn't painted. It's been a long time since I've seen this movie but I genuinely thought it was probably a young Komodo.

As for the alligator, I see people use crocodile as shorthand for crocodilian so often I guess I'm just numb to it at this point. ;D

I don't recall the iguanas in Journey to the Center of the Earth going through anything particularly strenuous, I think they generally just hopped around and climbed a few miniature sets. Certainly nothing so genuinely abusive as pitting them against each other like The Lost World did. The only vaguely iffy thing I recall is the iguanas got sent down a slide to enter into a scene.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 03, 2020, 02:52:25 PMIt's been a long time since I've seen this movie but I genuinely thought it was probably a young Komodo.

No worries. Here's a young Komodo for comparison:

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 03, 2020, 02:52:25 PMAs for the alligator, I see people use crocodile as shorthand for crocodilian so often I guess I'm just numb to it at this point. ;D

Fair enough.

As for "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH", there are 2 scenes that concern me:

-1) When Hans killed 1 Dimetrodon & the other Dimetrodon cannibalized it at ~1:25:00.

-2) When the giant red lizard was buried under lava at ~1:41:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U66PFVLwP9o

stargatedalek

I did not recall those scenes (didn't recall any other lizards later in the movie at all), but there is some cause for concern for sure. The second scene is hard to know exactly what's happening in, as I don't know what substance would have been used to make the fake lava, but that first scene seems to be utilizing at least one dead lizard, probably two, as props.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.