News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

history of fossils documentary

Started by dyno77, September 29, 2020, 07:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

So iv seen so many dinosaur and prehistoric documentaries over the years and yet there only a select few that cover the topic of dinosaurs before the 1700s. So many documentaries begin with either Buckland or Owen and go forwards from there never covering the vast history before it..
I am aware of the select few documentaries about dragons from a while back and the other documentaries about Greek myths and legends which sometimes cover only part of this vast topic .But none of them cover all the strange theories that once were though of fossils before. I also know of a few books that cover this topic but nothing recently in the last 10yrs or more.
Its a known fact Greeks and Romans found fossils and had there ideas about them and so did all the native tribes over the world and they had there views on them and im pretty sure they weren't the only ones. This particular subject of fossils before 1700 is really worthwhile looking into and if any members know any links or books about this then post it here.

Libraraptor

Actually there is a  interesting book in German about this very topic. 

https://www.amazon.de/Fossilien-im-Volksglauben-Alltag/dp/378291144X

I got it ten or so years ago and I am really stunned how rare and expensive it has become.

Ravonium

While I don't know of any media covering this subject either, it does sound like a good idea for a documentary series (as well as a topic I should probably look into more in my own time).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.