News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrimevalRaptor

The Baryonyx looks really nice, digging the pattern a lot and it looks healthy and bulky, definite pickup for me! Also love the wrinkles on it, especially on the "in nature" photo, probably my favorite out of the new ones! (and I've waited quite a bit for a new Baryonyx that's in my budget and looks great, something about the CollectA didn't strike my fancy)
Daspletosaurus looks neat too, sadly no feathers at all but the colors are nice (do also remind me of the old UKRD T.rex). Wasn't to keen from the first pic alone, but I like the different angles a lot.
Wish we had some more images of the Spinosaurus, the sculpt looks a bit...glossy/CGI-like? Idk how to describe it. Luckily the only new Spinosaurus models I got are the Schleich and the Papo (well for Christmas) so I may get it down the line, the new PNSO is a bit more up my alley sculpt-wise but I really love the colors here, wish Safari did more colorful dinosaurs like this one.

Gwangi

I'm glad I held out for a Safari Baryonyx, I knew they would get to it eventually and I'm not disappointed. Now my Invicta Baryonyx will FINALLY have a modern counterpart. And I can say the same for the Spinosaurus, my collection lacks a modern Spinosaurus and this one will fill that gap nicely. Daspletosaurus is of course a must have too and a welcome addition. Not a lot of quantity here but good quality.

profnik

I like the Safari Ltd mythical realms of Armored T-Rex with moveable jaw action it's looks just like Schleich dinosaurs meat eating Theropods dinosaurs jaw action.  :D

:D So these 2 armored dinosaurs from Safari Ltd 2021 collection it's rime looks like Basie of the books an movies of Dinotopia

Mattyonyx

For... You know... Reasons, the one I'm the most excited for is the Baryonyx!
Now, the images raise some questions:
1) Do you think the Spinosaurus is supposed to be bibedal (with the aid of the right arm)?
2) Why do you think the Daspletosaurus has lips, instead of a crocodilian snout? Personally, I've always thought the bone texture on its skull looked more like those on monitor lizards, so I like the idea, but I'd like to read some opinion.
3) Do you think there's a reason why the nostrils on Baryonyx's snout are placed so forward?

paintingdinos

Woo hoo, finally!

The Baryonyx is a for sure "get" for me. It turned out really well, and might just be my favorite of all the recent Baryonyx releases.

The Spinosaurus isn't for me. Maybe some in-hand photos will change my mind, but for now I much prefer the 2019 release (outdated tail and all).

PrimevalRaptor

I'm glad the Daspletosaurus has lips, IIRC it's not exactly crocodilian from the Carr paper and lips aren't impossible, see Witton's blogpost on this, personally I agree with him on the lips (and some keratinous tissue would have been cool to see tbh).

Szajmin

Spinosaurus is great, this is one of my favorite dinosaurs and here it is beautiful. Love it, must have

Baryonyx - ok, it is probably one the best Baryonyx toys So probably i would some day buy it.

Daspletosaurus -oh wow, another T-rex looking figure, meh. No wait, they call it Daspletosaurus what a unique species! Must have!!!! Just kidding, it is a nice figure, but it is just another T-rex (with longer arms). Now it a pass for me, but maybe some day.
Edit: Maybe i will buy it as a partner of battat t-rex, somehow similar colours.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

So of course I am disappointed that there are only theropods and 66.67% from the same family too but...

That Baryonyx is beautiful. I love it so much. It has a lovely decent amount of flesh and natural folds, it is a good size and you have a decent look at its fish hook claws. This is the Baryonyx I've been waiting for. I have already sold of my deluxe CollectA Baryonyx and will probably get rid of the Carnegie too. This us gorgeous. My only minor issues are that it is very similar colour to the Concavenator which I had planned on standing next to it, but I suppose I could put a few others between them. The other is I would have preferred a closed jaw, but i know some people are allergic to theropods with closed mouths. This reminds me of the Favorite Co exclusive only with a more respectable amount of flesh. Beautiful model.

The Daspletosaurus is also lovely, and much nicer than a boring T. rex. Along with Tarbosaurus and Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus is one of my favourite Tyrannosaurids, in fact the only ones I like really (I mean I don't dislike the others but they do nothing for me). Looks nicer than the CollectA despite the wonderful and unique pose the CollectA one has.

It looks like the Spinosaurus is about the same size as the PNSO one, so it is between the two of them for me. I will probably choose this one, so will leave the Spinosaurus off my order from Everything Dinosaur for now.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Flaffy

Took them long enough ::)

Already blew my budget on PNSO, and saved another budget for CollectA. Not sure if I'm going to get anything from Safari with how late they revealed their figures, despite them being ready for reveal ages ago.

Not sure how I feel about the position of Baryonyx's left nostril either, can Mr. Watson comment on this?

Glad to see a Daspletosaurus. Easily surpasses the CollectA one in both quality and accuracy. Nice to see the teeth being more prominent this time around as well. But with PNSO teasing another Tyrannosaurid in their new lineup, I'm currently saving my budget for that one for now.

Mixed feelings about the Spino. The base of the sail seems to have the same issues with the PNSO version, being too thin. Didn't expect to see shrinkwrapping on a Safari figure (the skull), especially after being treated with muscular and well-nourished dinosaurs from Doug for the past few years. So that's a bit disappointing. Did Doug sculpt this Spinosaurus? The style looks rather different compared to the 2019 Spinosaurus, and 2021 Baryonyx.

Bread

YESSSSS!!!!!

I love all three of them, but like everyone else I am disappointed in only having three models. On the bright side, this allows me to catch up on picking up a few of their previous years.

The Baryonyx is beautiful, love the colors. Hopefully the colors appear the same in hand compared to these photos. The pose is also great, my only worry is warping. Probably my favorite out of the three.
The Daspletosaurus is another beauty. I really like the addition of the lips on this figure. The lips on it definitely are more appealing than their Qianzhousaurus. However, I would have preferred if the mouth, of the Daspletosaurus, closed. With the addition of this tyrannosaur, I have high hopes for their 2022 line to have an updated Tyrannosaurus. Hopefully with a closed mouth with lips. :o
I am really glad I did not purchase PNSO's Spinosaurus. I prefer this one in terms of size and price. Although, PNSO's is superior in colors, I just can't justify the price of it. I love Safari's new Spinosaurus, and it will be my first Spinosaurus in my collection.

I have not seen anyone say the prices of these figures, but all three are $14.99 USD. I think the price is great! I am glad I don't have to buy the price of the deluxe figures in all three of these new 2021 figures. :))
Edit: Also to they are posted on Safari's website to view different angles of the figures.

SidB

Quote from: Takama on November 17, 2020, 10:21:28 PM
Well Out of all of them, the one i dont like is the Spinosaurus.

Serieusly, Those legs look too spindly to be on land, I would of prefered if they let avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson repaint and retool his swimming model instead.

Also, am i the only one who thinks the Daspletosaurus looks like the Feild Museum Sue Figures?

I'm inclined to agree with you on the Spinosaurus, though I'll likely get all three. I concur that a re-tooling of Doug's 1/35 figure would be more substantive, IMO.

Wandering

Wow these look WAY better than what I anticipated... I love the colors on all three! though I noticed that the photos of the Spino look slightly digitized... which usually indicates it's a prototype... fingers crossed the final release looks as good as the promotional photos!!!

Patrx

I honestly dog all three of these, but I do kinda find it dull that they're all big theropods.

Carnoking

Quote from: triceratops83 on November 17, 2020, 10:45:13 PM
Quote from: Takama on November 17, 2020, 10:34:33 PM
I just noticed that the Mythical T.rex has a movable Jaw.

Thats a First for any Safari Figurine, that i know of

I hope that doesn't become a "thing". I like Safari figures as they are.

I think if they can pull it off, it'd be great to have on some models. It doesn't look good here, so we'll have to see how clean the articulation is.
There's a lot of back and forth between collectors who prefer open mouth poses and collectors who prefer them in the default shut position. I think both have a place on the shelves, and that's why I appreciate well done articulated jaws.

Carnoking

Quality over quantity this year. Love all three, but that majestic Daspletosaurus is my personal favorite.

Bread

Does anyone know when these will be released?

The Prehistoric Traveler

Not loving the Baryonyx but i guess i don't care much for the species.

The Daspletosaurus looks brutal and beautiful.

The spinosaurus looks very elegant with a very animalistic head (more so than the PNSO one). I can see by the style of this figure that this one is not a Watson sculpt.

BlueKrono

Dinosaurs exist in Dungeons & Dragons world, and I could totally see orcs riding astride those armored ones. They wouldn't scale with miniatures though, which is what most D&D figs are.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Creature

I am in love with the colors on that spinosaurus!
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: