News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Got the new safari friends today. Am I crazy or are these things a different material than usual?

Fembrogon

The Spino does feel a little different, but Bary and Das seem normal.
...And what do you know, I took almost that exact same shot among others  :)):

I do find it funny that the Spinosaurus is the smallest of the three.

While I do like all three of these figures, I do agree that the Spino is overshadowed by the other two. Doug Watson's sculpts have a masterful level of fine detail which makes them come to life when handled in person. The Spino has lots of detail too, but it's just not as defined as the other two; plus, as others have mentioned, there appear to me several discrepancies with the latest papers (I'll add one while I'm at it: shouldn't the tail be a lot more muscular??).
The Baryonyx, despite some paint slop and scuffing on the face, is probably my favorite - although the Daspletosaurus is every bit an equal for quality. Honestly I'm super pleased with these two, and with so many other companies' output this year and last, I don't mind Safari going a little easier this time!

MLMjp

The Daspletosaurus looks great, it doesn't have any of the "issues" I had with some of the latest safari theropods.

I still think the teeth ruin the Baryonyx, and that´s a shame because the rest of the sculpt is better than I originally thought.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Nice dinosaur exhibit. You have a very good collection. I see that there are many DTF members who agree on tastes, when it comes to dinosaur brands. Thanks for sharing.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Carnoking on March 04, 2021, 10:09:58 PM
Am I crazy or are these things a different material than usual?
avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking They are. I've talked with one of the people who received them early and we were comparing the texture and material. The finalized products have a more brittle feel to them. It's probably due to budget constraints of the pandemic. 
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Gothmog the Baryonyx

My Safari Ltd Tylosaurus is the same material and 'brittleness' as the Safari Ltd Baryonyx. Was there also a rush in 2017?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

John

The plastic that my Daspletosaurus is made from is stiffer than that of my 2019 Stegosaurus and Camarasaurus,but I wouldn't describe it as being brittle. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dinoguy2

Pretty much all of my Safari figures from the mid 2010s onwards are very hard plastic. Maybe not brittle, but much harder than my 80s and 90s figures. I always chalked it up to Safari ceasing to use pthalates, which are plastic softeners.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shane

There are non-phthalate plasticizers that toy companies use. Just because they cease using phthalates would not mean they are stuck with stiff plastic.

What it likely comes down to is striking a balance between a figure that is able to stand without being a tripod, and a figure that's malleable enough to stretch and bend and feel less "brittle".

There is always pressure to keep the size of the feet small and keep the tail in the air with two-legged dinos to maintain "accuracy", while still having a figure that can stand. In the figurine world that can be a pretty tough task, it's not quite as straightforward as most dino toy fans seem to believe.

Stiffer plastic means more rigid legs which means less likelihood of warping and bending and falling over time. Unfortunately it may also mean a more stiff and less pliable figure.

Flaffy

I noticed that the Einiosaurus has gone out of stock at avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur

Will EverythingDinosaur be restocking this figure? Since the Einiosaurus has apparently been discontinued, I wonder if Safari themselves still have stocks available to supply to online retailers like ED, or if the current stock on the market is the last there is of this fantastic piece.

Everything_Dinosaur

Quote from: Flaffy on March 16, 2021, 03:37:29 AM
I noticed that the Einiosaurus has gone out of stock at avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur

Will EverythingDinosaur be restocking this figure? Since the Einiosaurus has apparently been discontinued, I wonder if Safari themselves still have stocks available to supply to online retailers like ED, or if the current stock on the market is the last there is of this fantastic piece.

We note your enquiry about the Einiosaurus model and we can confirm that avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur  will be bringing some more of these difficult to obtain models into stock.  They should be with us in a few days.  Whilst the global pandemic has made the movement of models and figures challenging, our extensive links in this business permits us to source and stock figures that other companies struggle to find.

If any member of the forum wishes to enquire about this figure, or indeed ask questions about any other prehistoric animal model, they are welcome to contact us directly [email protected] and we will do our best to help.

Everything_Dinosaur

A delivery of more Safari Ltd prehistoric animal stock has arrived avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur including the Einiosaurus model.  The Wild Safari Prehistoric World Einiosaurus figure can be found here: https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-einiosaurus/

Halichoeres

That's such a bummer it was discontinued so quickly, what a great figure!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Guess I need to order that one sooner then later then. Such a shame as it is a wonderful figure of that really interesting ceratopsian.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

It is indeed a shame. It's one of my favourites. I strongly recommend that people order now rather than miss out on it and regret it later.

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 18, 2021, 12:25:03 AM
That's such a bummer it was discontinued so quickly, what a great figure!

Jose S.M.

I missed the announcement of the Einiosaurus retirement. Did any other figures were also retired?

SidB

This was an excellent figure, but I'm not surprised in light of the discontinuation of their superb Nasutoceratops previously. Guess sales didn't work out.

Bokisaurus

Yup, I guess that genus was just not popular outside of the collector market. CollectA also retired their figure of it :(

SidB

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Safari were to drop some more of their ceratopsians in the near future. Now seems a good time to grab what can be grabbed from existing supplies while the getting is good. You have to applaud CollectA and Safari for taking the risk and producing these collectibles, but the old staples like the T-rex, Triceratops, etc. seem to still gobble up the mass market dollars, by and large, IMO.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Safari is having another Spring Sale.  I picked up a few things..love how they notified me of the order shipping..lol

QuoteHowdy,

Here it comes! Your order has been shipped...

Your toys were gently taken from the shelves, carefully arranged in a box as a hush fell over the room... the entire Safari Ltd. team waved "bon voyage" to your package.

Track the epic odyssey here:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: