News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: Stegotyranno on November 06, 2020, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: Arctinus on November 06, 2020, 10:25:29 AM
Wow, that mamenchisaurus! Might just be my first Collecta dinosaur.  ;D Holy cr*posaurus, now I might as well start collecting Collecta dinosaurs. Might as well throw all my clothes out to make room for all these new figures. xD
Honestly, why do we even need so many clothes? Why cant it be like cartoon characters and its always the same outfit. It saves money and time!

And if you're a cartoon bear or duck, you don't need pants  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 06, 2020, 05:11:43 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on November 06, 2020, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: Arctinus on November 06, 2020, 10:25:29 AM
Wow, that mamenchisaurus! Might just be my first Collecta dinosaur.  ;D Holy cr*posaurus, now I might as well start collecting Collecta dinosaurs. Might as well throw all my clothes out to make room for all these new figures. xD
Honestly, why do we even need so many clothes? Why cant it be like cartoon characters and its always the same outfit. It saves money and time!

And if you're a cartoon bear or duck, you don't need pants  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you are a 6ft bluejay or a raccoon or a gumball machine, you can just walk with NO clothes!

THIS HAS BEEN AN ENLIGHTENING EXPERIENCE

Loon

Here's hoping for at least one mammal this year. They skimped out on me last year, but I'll forgive their crime if they either make me a Cave Bear or a Megatherium. But really, almost any mammal would do...

Spoiler
Come on supreme Leptictidium...
[close]

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Loon on November 06, 2020, 05:31:54 PM
Here's hoping for at least one mammal this year. They skimped out on me last year, but I'll forgive their crime if they either make me a Cave Bear or a Megatherium. But really, almost any mammal would do...

Spoiler
Come on supreme Leptictidium...
[close]

I would settle for any prehistoric mammal but if any Collecta hears me I would like a paraceratherium (I know I have fixed ideas) to keep my itoy paraceratherium company. It is my favorite prehistoric mammal.

A megatherium and a cave bear would be interesting but an arctodus simus or a glossotherium would be more interesting. Those two prehistoric mammals I think are not yet represented in the world of the toy dinosaur, in this case the prehistoric toy animal.

Loon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 06, 2020, 05:48:52 PM
...A megatherium and a cave bear would be interesting but an arctodus simus or a glossotherium would be more interesting. Those two prehistoric mammals I think are not yet represented in the world of the toy dinosaur, in this case the prehistoric toy animal.

I agree, I'd really love an Arctodus.

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on November 06, 2020, 05:52:16 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 06, 2020, 05:48:52 PM
...A megatherium and a cave bear would be interesting but an arctodus simus or a glossotherium would be more interesting. Those two prehistoric mammals I think are not yet represented in the world of the toy dinosaur, in this case the prehistoric toy animal.

I agree, I'd really love an Arctodus.

I'd much prefer Arctotherium (bigger and more powerful), but Arctodus would be nice.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

I was ready to say: As good as the sculpt is, as it always happens with sauropods the Mamenchisaurus is too small to fit in a 1:40-1:30 scale collection....BUT THEN:
Quote from: darth daniel on November 06, 2020, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: Loon on November 06, 2020, 08:12:14 AM
Update: I found the measurements on Everything Dinosaur.
CollectA Deluxe Mamenchisaurus in 1:100 scale – length 40 cm, height of head 24 cm.

24cm, a little over a foot, would make this roughly 1/80 scale if it's the largest species, Mamenchisaurus sinocanadorum. But, I'm no expert on scale.
I did some calculations based on the sizes stated for each species on wikipedia. Based on height and length in the image (admittedly, a rough method), if the head is 24 cm off the ground, 40 cm is the figure´s length (like projected on the ground) but not the length of the spine, which might end up somewhere around 50 cm (rough guess). The "table" below shows the scales for both reference lengths for each species. (And yes, I´m quite excited for this figure! ^-^ )

M. constructus:                 13 m     1:32,5 @ 40 cm            1:26 @ 50 cm
M. hochuanensis:              22 m     1:55 @ 40 cm.              1:44 @ 50 cm
M. Jingyanensis:        20 - 26 m      1:50 - 1:65 @ 40 cm    1:40 - 1:52 @ 50 cm
M. sinocanadorum:           35 m      1:87,5 @ 40 cm.           1:70 @ 50 cm
M. youngi:                       16 m      1:40 @ 40 cm.              1:32 @ 50 cm
You mean that I can actually use it as a smaller species?! OMG YES! Finally a sauropod figure whose size is not an issue! I don't care if is meant to represent the largest one, it will be one of the smaller ones in my collection.

Kamuysaurus...ok, its a hadrosaur, that´s good, but I would have preferred something a bit more recognizable. Collecta´s commitment to make figures of obscure dinosaurs is admirable, but sometimes I wished they tackle species that were a bit more recognizable.

Yeah, that Brontosaurus looks like it died in a video game with that pose...

Well, unlike last year, there is something I actually want instead of "maybe". So thats an improvement already (most of the 2020 figures just didn't appeal to me).

Loon

Quote from: MLMjp on November 06, 2020, 05:55:50 PM
Yeah, that Brontosaurus look like it died in a video game with that pose...

MLMjp

avatar_Loon @Loon, basically  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Carnoking

A dead T-posing brontosaurus was not something I expected to see this year, but here we are.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Carnoking on November 06, 2020, 06:24:42 PM
A dead T-posing brontosaurus was not something I expected to see this year, but here we are.
"Why are we here, just to suffer?"

Ikessauro

Can anyone point me to the source material for the change in neck posture for Mamenchisaurus? I'd love to check the research if it's available online. I have been hearing about this change for sometime now, but never went digging after the source.

Fenestra

Quote from: Loon on November 06, 2020, 06:07:32 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on November 06, 2020, 05:55:50 PM
Yeah, that Brontosaurus look like it died in a video game with that pose...

Somebody stole his roller skates and left him to die.  ;D

Loon

Jokes aside, I really don't mind the Brontosaurus' pose. It's unique, even among the corpses and who's to say that it couldn't have ended up like that. If the fossil record's taught us anything, it's that animals don't tend to die in neutral poses. The limb could have been ripped off, or the immense weight of the animal could have broken it. Animals don't tend to look like they went to a funeral parlor and got all fixed up after they died.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Szajmin

Wow all are great. The leg on brontosaurus looks kinda off, but i have to wait to see it IRL.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 06, 2020, 06:49:27 PM
Can anyone point me to the source material for the change in neck posture for Mamenchisaurus? I'd love to check the research if it's available online. I have been hearing about this change for sometime now, but never went digging after the source.

Well, in case it helps, Greg Paul argues here that it's not really possible to be sure how a sauropod's neck was held most of the time, but you can estimate the extremes: https://anatomypubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ar.23617
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 06, 2020, 10:19:37 PM
I honestly don't think that Gregory S. Paul is a good source on this matter.

I'm not particularly a sauropod expert; can you point us to someone who is?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

With Mamenchisaurus it isn't a matter of measuring extremes of where it was able to bend. It has muscle attachment points over the hips to give the neck extra strength and rigidity to remain upright comfortably without having to consciously hold it upwards, something it wouldn't have needed in a horizontal position.

Creature

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 06, 2020, 02:30:40 AM
those splayed out front legs on the carcass makes me uncomfortable just looking at them..lol

That's why I'm kind of in love with it! Never thought I'd be interested in having a corpse in my collection but.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: