News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 25, 2020, 07:56:54 PM
My advice to all those wanting Paraceratherium? Contact CollectA about your desire. Even if we don't get one in 2021, they could decide to do it for 2022. They are one of the most receptive companies I know of.

I just got in touch with Collecta and I have suggested a solid PVC paraceratherium that far exceeds all the existing versions on the market. Hopefully in the year 2022 Collecta will make that spectacular and beautiful prehistoric animal. Perhaps my favorite prehistoric mammal.

I also advise everyone who is interested in a paraceratherium to contact Collecta's email so that they are encouraged to commercialize this gigantic and fascinating prehistoric herbivore from the Oligocene.

Ravonium

Missed last week's reveal; The Xiphactinus is the first thing from the prehistoric lineup that interests me (although considering how little I've gotten new figures in the past year, next year being low key is a good thing)

GojiraGuy1954

I love everything they've shown except the minis, Kamuysaurus, Megalo and Neovenator
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

triceratops83

Only a few more hours until the last reveal. Collecta's released an impressive line-up for next year, especially considering the events of this year - my hat's off to them. So far my favourites are Kamuysaurus and Xiphactinus. But I'm still holding out for a tree of some sort (Araurcaria, hopefully) in the final reveal.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Shonisaurus

The latest dinosaur news are now available and they are the doedicurus, dilophosaurus both in Deluxe version and the pravitoreras anmonite passed the link.

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2020/11/27/new-collecta-models-for-2021-final-part.html

We will have to wait until next year to see if Collecta or another brand of toy dinosaurs makes a paraceratherium apart from the masterful figure of Itoy.

suspsy

Added the last three images to the OP. The Dilophosaurus' oversized feet are unfortunate, but such is the price for omitting a base or a tripod stance. I definitely like it better than this year's Safari model.

The Doedicurus looks fantastic. A must buy. Great to see a Cenozoic mammal again. And again, those of you wishing for a Paraceratherium should email CollectA about it.

And finally, the Pravitoceras literally looks sweet. Reminds me of a peppermint candy, but I mean that in a good way. I just hope it can stand upright on its own.

Overall, CollectA's 2021 assortment is pretty freaking impressive, especially considering the pandemic and the unrest in Hong Kong. Can't wait to get my hands on these toys!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ikessauro

Love the Doedicurus and the Ammonite, but man, that dilophosaurus gives me mixed feelings. I suggested to CollectA earlier this year they should make one revised Deluxe Dilophosaurus for 2022. The person from CollectA talking to me on Facebook even asked me for the reference paper I mentioned. I sent them the PDF file and hoped for a Deluxe new modern looking Dilophosaurus, but not so soon.

I like the idea of bright colors, but this red crest looks sloppy. Not sure if they were going for a larger crest size and used the color to emphasize that, but it just looks off to me. Too bad, Dilophosaurus is my favorite Dinosaur. I expected a great one from Safari, but they also dissapointed me a little on theirs. Then CollectA announces this one. At first I thought it was from the standard popular range and not Deluxe.  :-\

Faelrin

The ammonoid is definitely not what I was expecting, but it goes well with last year's assortment, if not some of the weird ones in the prehistoric marine tube from 2017. I love the colors on it too. I still have hopes they will do an eurypterid, Arthropleura, and Tullimonstrum some day though, but still glad to see a long neglected genus given its due.

The Doedicurus was totally unexpected but really appreciated, though I still also love the older Safari one I finally picked up earlier this year. May need to pick this one up as well.

The Dilophosaurus color scheme looks right out of the Jurassic Park novel. Looks based on the new reconstruction as well.

I suppose I am quite surprised they have not done a new Spinosaurus. Perhaps it will be there next year. And still lots to love here, and going on my wishlist.

Edit: Is Pravitoceras not from the Paleozoic? Looks like it may be from the Cretaceous period instead? I guess that means no Paleozoic addition this year after all. A shame as they had been on a roll with that, for a couple of years now surprisingly, but nonetheless it is still quite nice to see a prehistoric invertebrate represented as they are far too often neglected regardless.

Edit 2: Well since these seem to be the last of the reveals, how does one go about making suggestions to them? Maybe the earlier would be better. I would also like to suggest to them the Paraceratherium as avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus has, so that hopefully they would have one for 2022's assortment. I also want to suggest the above Paleozoic invertebrates to them (and you know what while I would be at it, Tiktaalik too, because I know there's a lot of folks longing here for it).

Edit 3: I guess my favorites this year in order are the Xiphactinus, Megalosaurus, Pravitoceras, Pteranodon, Mamenchisaurus, Kamuysaurus, Doedicurus, Dilophosaurus, and Elasmosaurus. I do like that they did the Brontosaurus corpse as well, and particularly how gory and ragdoll like it is, but all these other things outshine it for me. Not really a fan of the Neovenator much, so definitely in last place for me, and an easy pass. I really am amazed how much diversity there is for next year's assortment all things considering the pandemic, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Hurray for the Doedicurus, I missed the annual Cenozoic mammal last year. The interpretation of the tail club is interesting.

Jose S.M.

The Doedicurus is a nice surprise! And for the non vertebrate fans the Pravitoceras looks great too but I only like the head of the Dilophosaurus. And I prefer the Safari one which I thought was a nice rendition of the previous interpretation of the animal as slender and more delicate. Unfortunately for me I can't get pass the oversized feet, sometimes is done in a not so distracting manner but on this they remind me how Mattel does the feet on their JW line, not only in the size but the shape too. I wish I like it better because who knows when and who is going to release another updated Dilophosaurus

The Prehistoric Traveler

Man collecta´s theropods are hard on the eyes this year. :-X That dilophosaurus...yikes! Quite Surprising because last year´s Saltriovenator was a very accomplished figure. The scupt of the Doedicurus is also to crude for my taste. I´m happy with the Pravitoceras but i will repaint the hel out of it.

PrimevalRaptor

Very glad to see an updated Dilophosaurus from CollectA, looks pretty nice for me and the color scheme is a nice nod to the JP novel (though the red of the crest could be blended a bit more for my taste), can't wait for more pics of this one, very nice!
A Doedicurus is pretty neat too, not that much of a mammal collector, but I always liked this guy (and got the Safari one whose pose I love a lot).
That ammonite is absolutely not what I was hoping for in regards to the invertebrate, but it is nice that we're finally getting more ammonites.

ceratopsian

Amazing how many models CollectA has managed to produce in such difficult times!  Full credit to them.

I rather like the ammonite - something to keep my Pleuroceras from this year company.  I'm not a great fan of the huge feet of the Dilophosaurus and its very spindly legs though.

DinoToyForum

Nice to see another invertebrate in the offering. Also, surely this will be one to add to the unique species toy list?

Sarapaurolophus

Dilopho without bunny arms! Need it! Once again the coloration is a big no for me. Another repaint candidate ::)
The feet look a bit weird to me, too. But I need to see more pictures to understand what is going on. It almost seems like instead of a base they went the JW route and made the feet larger.

Edit:
Quote from: Jose S.M. on November 27, 2020, 04:25:46 AM
Unfortunately for me I can't get pass the oversized feet, sometimes is done in a not so distracting manner but on this they remind me how Mattel does the feet on their JW line, not only in the size but the shape too. I wish I like it better because who knows when and who is going to release another updated Dilophosaurus

I did not read the comments before I posted mine. So the feet are oversized and I'm not the only one who thought of JW.

Shonisaurus

My opinions on the new Collecta figures latest reveal.

The doedicurus is a highly attractive figure sincerely it is the best figure of this trio although the tail as the mace is sculpted honestly does not convince me at all, however it sticks to scientific authenticity and therefore is correct. On the other hand, I like the detail of the scales on its cuirass and the details of the head and hair of said prehistoric armadillo. Without a doubt, she is a figure in the same range of genius as her Safari counterpart, the two make a very good couple.

I sincerely like the pravitoceras more than the ammnoite models of this year (which in my case I have not picked up yet) in the Museum Shop and what I like the most are the bright colors of its shell on the other hand the head is very good sculpted and painted from what I see in the prototype, although in my case I expected a less treated invertebrate in the toy dinosaur market that was not an ammonite.

On the other hand, the dilophosaurus is the one that interests me the least of this group, although it is very up-to-date from a scientific point of view. The coloring of the figure honestly seems too garish to me, they have chosen a painting for that dilophosaurus that is not how I would like the figure to be sculpted. The body is precisely sculpted and on the other hand what aesthetically spoils the figure are its large feet but logically this is done so that this theropod figure can be held without the need for a base, as is natural since that popular theropod has no base Such a figure would run the risk of not staying well on its feet as happens with the Collecta Deluxe size neovenator from 2012.

Honestly, it has been a very brilliant year for Collecta considering that we are going through the unfortunate coronavirus pandemic and that for that reason the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals that one would like cannot be revealed.

GojiraGuy1954

They really were saving the best for last
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

bmathison1972

Looks like this will be my 2021 CollectA purchases (includes extant):

YES:
basking shark (replaces Safari Ltd)
American lobster
donkey (replaces older CollectA)
Texas longhorn cattle
Xiphactinus

MAYBE:
koala (replace Schleich)
exotic shorthair cat
Mongollian stallion
Pravitoceras (size dependent)

I am sure the Doedicurus has an updated tail, but will probably stick with the Safari version.

DragonRider02

For the first time in my life I feel disappointed with CollectA theropods  :-\
Especially with that Dilophosaurus. I always love when CollectA uses flashy colors on their models, but not this time. I just... don't like them. And the crest is rather sloppily painted. It also doesn't 'feel' like a Deluxe figure.
The oversized feet look really bad. All three figures feel so stiff becouse of them, especially compared to how elegant their latest theropods with bases were.

When the new study about Dilophosaurus came out, I was expecting CollectA to be the first company to make updated figure. I was excited to see if I was right. Now I feel even more dissapointed with how underwhelming it turned out to be  :'(

I feel bad for having such low opinion about that Dilo, I really do :(
I hope CollectA brings bases back for their bipedal models. But I wouldn't be surprised if they wont. Baseless dinos probably appeal more and sell better to kids.

Flaffy

The Dilophosaurus suffers from all the same issues of the Neovenator.
Those clown feet are glaringly bad and noticeable. The overly thin legs just further emphasises the oversized feet unfortunately.

To be honest I never minded how Carnegie did Theropods in a tripod stance. I'd much rather have the dinosaur depicted with proper proportions and anatomy, rather than forcing/over-exaggerating features for playability.

Hope that someone will finally do Dilophosaurus justice in the future. Still waiting for a definitive version of this iconic species.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: