News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Does Aliexpress lead to Customs charges in the UK?

Started by Gothmog the Baryonyx, October 28, 2020, 12:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

So I thought I'd post it here too to try and get a quicker response. Does anyone know if you get a hefty customs charge in the UK if you order from aliexpress?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

RobinGoodfellow

I really don't think it depends on Aliexpress.
It's all about UK laws about imported items from China.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 28, 2020, 06:08:15 AM
I really don't think it depends on Aliexpress.
It's all about UK laws about imported items from China.
avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow I didn't mean to imply that it's just that when I have bought direct from China in the past (say on eBay) and from Taiwan for that matter I have not had any customs charges however whenever I order from the US I get hefty customs charges all the time. The reason I was asking is because for some reason on aliexpress you pay in dollars so I'm wondering whether my lot will count that as US and give me huge charged.
But they have already shipped my order now anyway so it's too late, ah, I think I will just have to wait and see.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

ceratopsian

Yes, it is possible that you will get a hefty charge, depending on the price of the item. And depending on what price the seller has declared.  There is no difference between parcels from China and the USA to the UK in terms of charges.  It makes no difference what currency you paid in, the key is where they are coming from. And soon the same charges will apply to items from the EU.  Sometimes items slip through without charge. Sometimes they do not.  In my experience, far fewer items from China slip through these days. I have been charged a customs fee in pence - but it still attracts the huge handling charge. Say on the lines of 50 pence in VAT but £8.50 in handling. So you might be lucky, you might not be.

Baryonyx

I personally have managed to get away with not getting a single import charge on my Aliexpress purchases. My Tuojiangosaurus has arrived today for example with no charge. I don't know if that's helpful! Different story with HLJ.

DragonRider02

I'm not from UK, but packages from China to my country are often send through Belgium to avoid custom fees. Especially when it's something larger. But I have never been charged any custom fees, even when package arrived straight from China.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.