News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

megalosaurus

Started by dyno77, October 28, 2020, 08:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

despite it being the first official dinosaur ,the original lower part of the thigh bone is missing and as far as im aware it has never been located....and to be fair im no anatomy expert ,but iv seen the fossil remains of megalosaurus on display and still the original thighbone part to me just seems out of place to call it megalosaurus .
It also has been lost and yet no expert has tried to locate it ever as far as im aware.
I just find it so strange that it has never been found and yet all the books claims its megalosaurus without any doubt and its not the only fossil either...there many unknown dinosaur bones and other fossils that are unknown locked away in storage rooms..its something that isnt looked at at all and should be in my view...

Justin_

Do you mean this fossil?

The illustration was done in the 1670s when it was thought to be from a giant human. It was lost long before Megalosaurus was described in 1824, but I think it was just a curiosity in a private collection and didn't belong to a museum. I don't think we can say for sure that nobody has tried to find it. Also, I don't have any books that claim it is definitely from a Megalosaurus, only that it might have been.

Newt

Good ol' Scrotum humanum.

dyno77

yea thats it ..its also a very large fragment ,still have suspicions about it being megalosaurus ,but there many unknown dinosaur bones and other fossils that are simply unknown locked away in storage rooms...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.