News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Touching up/customizing expensive figs

Started by Sarapaurolophus, October 30, 2020, 09:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarapaurolophus

I've been thinking about touching up my PNSO Amargasaurus to look more like his box art and the recent news about their Lambeosaurus also has me thinking about adding some color to it. I have no qualms about completely tearing apart Papos or Schleichs but the higher the costs or sought after the figure I tend to hesitate.

I know in the end it is my money and my figure and I can do what I want. But still, I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter. Does a high price point or "hard to find" status matter to you when it comes to customizing OF painted models?

ceratopsian

I'm not competent to carry out a repaint/touch up/customise the stance of any figure.  But if I were, I'd have no qualms at all.  It's your collection and that is all that matters here.  It might affect the value should you wish to sell a figure on at some point in the future but other than that.....

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on October 30, 2020, 09:58:47 AM
I've been thinking about touching up my PNSO Amargasaurus to look more like his box art and the recent news about their Lambeosaurus also has me thinking about adding some color to it. I have no qualms about completely tearing apart Papos or Schleichs but the higher the costs or sought after the figure I tend to hesitate.

I know in the end it is my money and my figure and I can do what I want. But still, I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter. Does a high price point or "hard to find" status matter to you when it comes to customizing OF painted models?

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 30, 2020, 10:29:50 AM
It might affect the value should you wish to sell a figure on at some point in the future but other than that.....

That's one of the things holding me back. Some kind of fear I'll ruin the resell value. Another fear I sometimes get  is messing up so badly the fig is ruined for myself.

ceratopsian

There is that, of course.  I'm afraid that only you can judge the likelihood that you will be happy with your customising.  I wouldn't worry too much about resale value with something like the PNSO Amargasaurus - I don't think it would be huge.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 30, 2020, 11:23:40 AM
I would recommend to practice on cheap figures first and to watch the repaint videos by Kathrin from Kathrins Dinoversum.

I already do, I have a few victims I test colors on :)
Kathrin sadly explains very little about her process or materials she is using. Is she here by any chance? I am also not new to repainting but have noticed how divided I am on doing anything to figures I spent more than 40€ on.

andrewsaurus rex

if you think there is a decent chance you will sell the figure some day, then you may want to hold off customizing it or modifying it.  That said, if you are fairly skilled, then custom work could actually add to the value of the figure, as a loose figure at least.  If the value comes from it being brand new in box then that is a different story and you'd need to research the value a bit before proceeding, again if you think there is a real chance you'll sell it.

Otherwise if you are confident in your abilities to customize I would not let the value deter you.  I have no intention of ever selling my figures so I just do what I want to do. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.