You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Can’t get a good answer on the current status of plesiosaur neck flexibility

Started by Reuben03, November 04, 2020, 10:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

Was hoping someone could help out, how much could they bend their necks and where? Obviously not up and down or out of the Water but how much could they move?

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

BlueKrono

From my understanding their necks were very inflexible, but some plesiosaurs had good flexibility at the joint where the head meets the neck. I recently read Richard Ellis's "Sea Dragons" and was struck by how rigid and immovable the necks supposedly were. Seemed almost a handicap, and makes me wonder about the electric shock hunting theory.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

DinoToyForum

Reuben03

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 05, 2020, 03:32:12 AM
From my understanding their necks were very inflexible, but some plesiosaurs had good flexibility at the joint where the head meets the neck. I recently read Richard Ellis's "Sea Dragons" and was struck by how rigid and immovable the necks supposedly were. Seemed almost a handicap, and makes me wonder about the electric shock hunting theory.
I absolutely love that theory and want to see it explored further, thanks for the help btw!

Reuben03

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.