News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

I think a case could be made that the parasaurolophus is the best offering yet. I'm waiting to see if anything dethrones it.

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on May 02, 2021, 12:03:51 AM
Maybe it is just me, but I feel that PNSO have not really improved nor declined. Yes some slight facial sculpting improvements, but with the prices rising and the color schemes looking a bit sloppy I don't see that much improvement. However, let's wait to judge as it is still pretty early on with releases, plus we still have two models we have yet to have in hand (Carcharodontosaurus and Yutyrannus).

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the rise in price is not equivalently matched with more careful and delicate paint apps. At times, it feels like PNSO is setting these high price tags only because they know that people will still pay for their figures regardless. I wonder how sustainable this business practice is, as surely, there will be a tipping point where the customer will no longer be comfortable paying that much for something of diminutive size and/or average quality. PNSO has set the bar extremely high with their initial releases in the "Museum" series; with hiking prices on every subsequent release, PNSO is undoubtedly setting customer expectations for quality higher and higher.

I just checked Amazon's price on the Pachycephalosaurus, and $30.99 for something that small is just ridiculous. Their $18.99 price level would've been more appropriate (same as Dakosaurus, Eurhinosaurus). Even $22.99 would be stretching it, as that puts it in the same price as:
- Ankylosaurus
- Tuojiangosaurus
- Borealopelta etc.

To put things into perspective, the Pachy is the same price as the Sinoceratops and Miragaia. Some of the strongest non-theropod offerings PNSO has put out recently, and not to mention way larger and more complex.

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on May 02, 2021, 03:47:31 AM
Maybe it is just me, but I feel that PNSO have not really improved nor declined. Yes some slight facial sculpting improvements, but with the prices rising and the color schemes looking a bit sloppy I don't see that much improvement. However, let's wait to judge as it is still pretty early on with releases, plus we still have two models we have yet to have in hand (Carcharodontosaurus and Yutyrannus).

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the rise in price is not equivalently matched with more careful and delicate paint apps. At times, it feels like PNSO is setting these high price tags only because they know that people will still pay for their figures regardless. I wonder how sustainable this business practice is, as surely, there will be a tipping point where the customer will no longer be comfortable paying that much for something of diminutive size and/or average quality. PNSO has set the bar extremely high with their initial releases in the "Museum" series; with hiking prices on every subsequent release, PNSO is undoubtedly setting customer expectations for quality higher and higher.

I just checked Amazon's price on the Pachycephalosaurus, and $30.99 for something that small is just ridiculous. Their $18.99 price level would've been more appropriate (same as Dakosaurus, Eurhinosaurus). Even $22.99 would be stretching it, as that puts it in the same price as:
- Ankylosaurus
- Tuojiangosaurus
- Borealopelta etc.

To put things into perspective, the Pachy is the same price as the Sinoceratops and Miragaia. Some of the strongest non-theropod offerings PNSO has put out recently, and not to mention way larger and more complex.
This.
Don't get me wrong, I love everything PNSO has put out so far. However, some of these offerings they have put out I have had to pass on due to price. The Pachycephalosaurus being extremely over priced, and I originally thought the Pinacosaurus was over priced.

Again, like you pointed out flaffy, I wonder when prices will drop due to the rate of purchases dropping as their prices increase. I understand if quality increases, but so far I haven't noticed that. Maybe a slight more complicated color scheme but at the same time it is applied somewhat sloppy. Please note that I love PNSO's products. These are just simple nitpicks due to their prices increasing.

Leyster

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 01, 2021, 10:30:45 PM
Also a bit off putting for me are the still bare teeth and the very small feet... they may be appropriate in lenght, but they just do not look right to support the weight and speed of such a big theropod. Guess I`ll stay with my customized Vitae Chilantaisaurus.
Theropds feet are smaller than what, say, Jurassic Park has accustomed us, and Allosauroids one expecially so.

I do agree with everyone saying that PNSO is becoming too pricey. Pachycephalosaurus and Pinacosaurus ought to be in the 22.90 $ price at least, I feel that PNSO is taking advantage of his customers.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SRF

Quote from: Bread on May 02, 2021, 04:08:12 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 02, 2021, 03:47:31 AM

- Ankylosaurus
- Tuojiangosaurus
- Borealopelta etc.

This.
Don't get me wrong, I love everything PNSO has put out so far. However, some of these offerings they have put out I have had to pass on due to price. The Pachycephalosaurus being extremely over priced, and I originally thought the Pinacosaurus was over priced.

Again, like you pointed out flaffy, I wonder when prices will drop due to the rate of purchases dropping as their prices increase. I understand if quality increases, but so far I haven't noticed that. Maybe a slight more complicated color scheme but at the same time it is applied somewhat sloppy. Please note that I love PNSO's products. These are just simple nitpicks due to their prices increasing.

I feel the Pachycephalosaurus is only priced similar to larger models like the Sinoceratops and Miragaia because it is a well known and quite popular dinosaur. I always thought the price difference between the Sinoceratops and the Pachyrhinosaurus was due to the fact that Sinoceratops was in the last Jurassic World movie and Pachyrhinosaurus wasn't.

Better known to a larger public means you can ask a higher price for it. Like I stated before, this is exactly the reason why Wilson is twice as expensive as models in Prehistoric Animals line which are about the same size. Only in this case to explain that higher price, they also upgraded the packaging and booklet to the Museum Line of their products. The same applies to a small well known and popular species like Pachycephalosaurus, only in this case they sell it at the same price level as some of the bigger models in their line. The Pachy is actually one of the models I'm most excited for, I did get it for a not so bad price actually. It should be here sometime next week. :)

I don't think the quality of the most recent releases from PNSO is better than the ones we've got towards the end of 2020 though. As we know, some of the sculpts we're getting now, are over a year old already. It's not like they looked at feedback on the models they released last year to improve on the models they are releasing now. I do feel that the species they are releasing now, are more appealing than some of the species they released last year. But that really is due to personal taste.

Edit: about PNSO being priced too high, I understand that the increase of their prices isn't something to cheer about. But, before I came to this forum, I actually hadn't discovered AliExpress as a source for PNSO models. A reseller here in the Netherlands sells PNSO models but I only bought the original Wilson (the one in the big box with the large booklet and postcards etc.) from him since I figured the price was fair and quite good, since I saw it was sold earlier for more than a 100 USD on eBay and such. It was the only PNSO model I bought from him since all the other models are priced way too high. Even with the current prices on AliExpress, the difference is so big I have nothing to complain about. In some cases, as much as 40% on the price of the model alone. To add to that, domestic shipping isn't cheap here in the Netherlands.
But today, I'm just being father

Faelrin

I do agree that it is starting to feel like that some of these are or have been overpriced, especially when the final paint apps on some of these have been lacking detail, etc, such as been the case with the Pachycephalosaurus (its small size does not do it any favors at that price either), or this new Allosaurus, particularly on the head. That said I will likely get the Allosaurus, but unless the Pachycephalosaurus drops in price, especially when the alternative Safari Ltd one is also on my wishlist, and looks great and is cheaper, I'll probably pass on it. Granted I do wonder if the PNSO Pachycephalosaurus is closer to 1/35 scale to better fit in with the myriad of Hell Creek dinosaur figures at that scale.

I do feel like, based on the in hand pics, the Parasaurolophus has been the strongest of these 2021 releases so far, based on faithfulness to the prototypes, perhaps aside from the Pinacosaurus from what I have seen so far.

I hope the upcoming Carcharodontosaurus and Yutyrannus are of the quality of the Parasaurolophus, and of the numerous releases we had last year.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

gfxtwin

There are pros and cons with most of the models so far, but my main nitpick is the Spinosaur and Carcharodontosaur are arguably the two best therapods they've released but aren't in scale w/ everything else. I'm pretty sure it was done to help boost sales (notice how the only museum line dinosaur among these releases  is the most popular one of all time) so hopefully we'll get some1/35 sized versions later on after the bonkers wave of 2020-2021 releases establishes satisfactory revenue rolling in.

Flaffy

Quote from: gfxtwin on May 03, 2021, 12:23:09 AM
There are pros and cons with most of the models so far, but my main nitpick is the Spinosaur and Carcharodontosaur are arguably the two best therapods they've released but aren't in scale w/ everything else. I'm pretty sure it was done to help boost sales (notice how the only museum line dinosaur among these releases  is the most popular one of all time) so hopefully we'll get some1/35 sized versions later on after the bonkers wave of 2020-2021 releases establishes satisfactory revenue rolling in.

The Carcharodontosaurus is in 1/35 scale FYI.
The Spinosaurus could also technically fit into a 1/35 collection if you scale it based off FSAC-KK 11888.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Yes, but I think he means that everything else is 1:25 scale.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SRF

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 03, 2021, 03:53:51 AM

But almost all theropods are in 1:35 scale, only the Qianzhousaurus being the exception at 1:25-ish.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SRF on May 03, 2021, 05:55:23 AM

But almost all theropods are in 1:35 scale, only the Qianzhousaurus being the exception at 1:25-ish.

What about the Carnotaurus? I don't have it but it seems to be about intermediate in size between the Battat version (which is 1:35) and the Wild Safari version (which is 1:20). So I would assume it is 1:25 like almost all the recent PNSO figures.

Yutyrannus seems to be about 30cm long so it's also 1:25.

Carcharodontosaurus seems like the only theropod so far that is out of scale with the others, at 1:35.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

From my point of view, all the PNSO models, especially those of this year 2021, are even better than their predecessors, despite the criticisms, what happens is that of course they increase the price, due to their improvement in terms of sculpture and also size, like the parasaurolophus or the allosaurus to name two examples. I understand that the PNSO public is not fair in this regard with the constructive criticism they do.

On the other hand, if these figures are sold in the EU I can assure you that the prices they put on Aliexpress compared to those that an online store would put (whatever it is and the nation that is the EU) would seem like a bargain, buying on Aliexpress, Amazon or Ebay is the lesser evil compared to shopping in European online stores when it comes to dinosaurs of Chinese brands, and to this we must add the shipping costs.

From my honest point of view, PNSO has improved a lot compared to the previous year (and that is to say) and I would be lying if I said the opposite of what I think. What I would like is that the theropods had fixed and stable support bases such as the giganotosaurus from Safari or the dinosaurs from Collecta that circulated for a few years, yes with quality artistic bases and full of details, although that cost more , but overall I like this year's PNSO dinosaurs more than the year before. I do not agree with the criticisms, although I cannot argue them out of ignorance, but for example the paintings of his figures are impeccable and his paintings are not too conservative that would give them a bland aspect, nor are they strident with war paintings that would make them ugly. The figure, regarding the details of the PNSO dinosaurs painting are in a medium state of color and that yes his painting is of first quality. I am honestly very happy with the progress of PNSO because they have made some great figures, I repeat.

I could say something else about the PNSO figures but I would lie it would be like the one in the fable of the "fox and the grapes" I am a realist and I would like to have all their models and they are becoming more spectacular but in my case I do not want to risk those money figures are undoubtedly the best made by the PNSO company and it is a tough opponent against western brands.

The allosaurus and parasaurolophus are out of genius and far surpass other similar figures such as the microraptor or borealopelta to give two examples.

Abobo

Quote from: Flaffy on May 03, 2021, 03:42:49 AM

The Spinosaurus could also technically fit into a 1/35 collection if you scale it based off FSAC-KK 11888.

I think the Carcharodontosaurus is more in the 1/40 scale range or it's a juvenile
30 cm long for 1/35 scale seems a bit short for and adult specimen.

Abobo

The Qianzhousaurus is 1/35 I think
it's advertized at this scale on most dinosaurs figures sites

SRF

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 03, 2021, 07:54:48 PM

What about the Carnotaurus? I don't have it but it seems to be about intermediate in size between the Battat version (which is 1:35) and the Wild Safari version (which is 1:20). So I would assume it is 1:25 like almost all the recent PNSO figures.

Carcharodontosaurus seems like the only theropod so far that is out of scale with the others, at 1:35.

Well, Wilson is definitely in 1:35 scale. Based on the skull I've measured the Carnotaurus at 1:35 as well.

The Spinosaurus is based on the paddle tail specimen which was only around 11 meters long, so that one is also around 1:35.

The Yutyrannus is 25.5 centimeters long (27 around the curves) and PNSO uses a skeletal diagram in which the total length is a little over 9 meters, so based on that it's in the 1:35 range.

The Allosaurus is 25 centimeters long, which puts it in the 1:35 range as well if you ask me.

SRF

Quote from: Abobo on May 03, 2021, 09:24:57 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 03, 2021, 03:42:49 AM

I think the Carcharodontosaurus is more in the 1/40 scale range or it's a juvenile
30 cm long for 1/35 scale seems a bit short for and adult specimen.

The Carcharodontosaurus is advertised as being 33 cm around the curves. At 1/35 that would make it 11,55 meters long. That's as far as we know about the average size of Carcharodontosaurus.

SRF

Quote from: Abobo on May 03, 2021, 09:26:44 PM

The Qianzhousaurus is 1/35 I think
it's advertized at this scale on most dinosaurs figures sites

Probably because 1:35 is the most popular scale to collect. The Qianzhousaurus is definitely too big to be in 1:35 scale. It's more like 1:24.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SRF on May 03, 2021, 09:30:21 PM

Well, Wilson is definitely in 1:35 scale. Based on the skull I've measured the Carnotaurus at 1:35 as well.

The Spinosaurus is based on the paddle tail specimen which was only around 11 meters long, so that one is also around 1:35.

The Yutyrannus is 25.5 centimeters long (27 around the curves) and PNSO uses a skeletal diagram in which the total length is a little over 9 meters, so based on that it's in the 1:35 range.

The Allosaurus is 25 centimeters long, which puts it in the 1:35 range as well if you ask me.

Interesting that PNSO seems to be using old and outdated information for the scale. No way on earth Yutyrannus is 9m (Greg Paul lists 7.5m). So that's 1:35 using incorrect info, 1:25 using corrected info.

How big is the skull of the Carnotaurus? Real Carno skull is 60cm long, so at 1:35 it should be 1.7cm. it looks way bigger than that to me but once again, I don't have it. It's bigger then the Battat which is 1:35 based on length, 1:30 based on skull alone (the head is a little too big).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SRF

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 03, 2021, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: SRF on May 03, 2021, 09:30:21 PM

Interesting that PNSO seems to be using old and outdated information for the scale. No way on earth Yutyrannus is 9m (Greg Paul lists 7.5m). So that's 1:35 using incorrect info, 1:25 using corrected info.

How big is the skull of the Carnotaurus? Real Carno skull is 60cm long, so at 1:35 it should be 1.7cm. it looks way bigger than that to me but once again, I don't have it. It's bigger then the Battat which is 1:35 based on length, 1:30 based on skull alone (the head is a little too big).

The Carno's head is around 1.7cm. I feel the head isn't really oversized compared to the rest of the body. I do feel the legs are to bulky and too long actually.

I wasn't aware that Yutyrannus is only listed as 7.5 meters, especially after looking at that diagram PNSO includes in their promotional images. I thought 9 meters would be the upper estimate for Yutyrannus.  :)

suspsy

My Austin arrived in the mail today! He's pretty small, to the point where I am forced to seriously question his price tag, but he's a terrific toy regardless.

I ordered both him and the Pinacosaurus off eBay and the latter has yet to arrive despite my ordering it back in March. It did say that it would take anywhere from mid-April to early June to arrive, though. Hopefully won't be too much longer!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: