News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on December 26, 2021, 06:01:54 PM
I wish to see a Dromeosaur from them, a V.mongoliensis is highly desirable. I wish to see how they tackle feathered raptors.

Oh yes!  PNSO has made Microraptor, both big and small, but I too would like PNSO to make more dromaeosaurids.  They are among the most popular dinosaurs but there aren't many good toys of them, excluding the BotM action figures.  I too would like PNSO to make Velociraptor mongoliensis, it's my favourite dinosaur and I'd like another good version of it in addition to the Safari 2017 version.  I'd also like PNSO to make: Deinonychus with more binocular vision than the Safari 2020 version (it seems it's not clear how much binocular vision Deinonychus had?), Buitreraptor and Austroraptor (there's still no model of an unenlagiine), Linheraptor, Sinornithosaurus...

Antey

I would like to know the answer from the administration. Is there a psychological help office or a platform for scientific discussion? Whether or not I should actively participate here depends on the answer. Because the problem of psychological trauma of a particularly sensitive individual worries me less than scientific truth.

sepp

I repeat: drop the argument.

Antey is suspended for 14 days for breaking rules 1 and 2.

Bread, Carn0taurus, this is a polite warning to cease discussion of the argument and to please stay on topic.

This is a toy forum, not a forum for debate. Discussion is encouraged, fighting and insults are not.
People must agree to disagree, everyone has their own opinions on these toys and everyone is entitled to those opinions. There is absolutely no need to fight about it.

If you must argue further, take it to emails or somewhere off the forum.

paleochris

You can debate endlessly about PNSO, for me the choice is clear : it will be very hard to make me buy something else than PNSO...

PNSO falls into its own trap, namely to propose a very high quality which ends up making the buyers more and more difficult and demanding...

But for me, it is hard to dispute with this:

- PNSO offers the most richly detailed and realistic sculpts, which do not have claws, teeth or horns too rounded, which offer interesting skin textures

- PNSO is the only one who offers theropods without clown legs

- PNSO is often the closest to the latest scientific knowledge (I didn't say that it is systematically)

- PNSO paints are far superior to other brands even if they have some weaknesses (and in particular the fact of being mostly of lower quality than the promotional prototype)

- PNSO is clearly not on the same segment as collectA or Safari, it's a middle-high range brand that decided to take care of its packaging, we can regret it but it's their choice

- PNSO offers a relatively constant quality since 2016! I own 90% of their models, and there are very few differences between them, this is not the case with other brands

- PNSO is the only brand that gives me this effect: 1. a very promising or exciting prototype 2. a little disappointment sometimes on the first pictures of the model in hand 3. a new great satisfaction when I unwrap my own model in my hands where the result has ALWAYS been beyond my expectations so far

- Thanks to PNSO we have had access to an extraordinary number of animals! Imagine now for a second that this brand would not exist, what a bore we would have these last years....

In the end, in the -100$ segment I am only enthusiastic about :

PNSO and Eofauna, and sometimes, when they decide to do something else than Jurassic World, for Nanmu and WDragon

CollectA, Schleich, Papo and Safari are still toy brands, with very rounded animals, with "childish" paintings but with affordable prices for collectors and also make efforts in terms of accuracy (CollectA and Safari)
PNSO is above, with figurines which, contrary to what the packaging suggests, are destined at an older public and also a little more knowledgeable or demanding. Comparing PNSO with its counterpart collectA/Safari by complaining about the price, or the scientific interpretation, seems to me to be a dead end.

Bread

My apologies avatar_sepp @sepp

Quote from: SenSx on December 26, 2021, 01:04:57 PM
So no Christmas announcement from PNSO ?
What a bummer, That is what people needed here to calm down and rediscover the christmas spirit.
I know PNSO is a chinese company, but still...
I was surprised too. I honestly thought they would release a lot more than they did since their November break. Maybe 2022 will spark them to have constant releases again.

Duck

Thanks, avatar_sepp @sepp , for getting this thread back on topic.

Quote from: paleochris on December 26, 2021, 09:08:20 PM
You can debate endlessly about PNSO, for me the choice is clear : it will be very hard to make me buy something else than PNSO...

PNSO falls into its own trap, namely to propose a very high quality which ends up making the buyers more and more difficult and demanding...

But for me, it is hard to dispute with this:

- PNSO offers the most richly detailed and realistic sculpts, which do not have claws, teeth or horns too rounded, which offer interesting skin textures

- PNSO is the only one who offers theropods without clown legs

- PNSO is often the closest to the latest scientific knowledge (I didn't say that it is systematically)

- PNSO paints are far superior to other brands even if they have some weaknesses (and in particular the fact of being mostly of lower quality than the promotional prototype)

- PNSO is clearly not on the same segment as collectA or Safari, it's a middle-high range brand that decided to take care of its packaging, we can regret it but it's their choice

- PNSO offers a relatively constant quality since 2016! I own 90% of their models, and there are very few differences between them, this is not the case with other brands

- PNSO is the only brand that gives me this effect: 1. a very promising or exciting prototype 2. a little disappointment sometimes on the first pictures of the model in hand 3. a new great satisfaction when I unwrap my own model in my hands where the result has ALWAYS been beyond my expectations so far

- Thanks to PNSO we have had access to an extraordinary number of animals! Imagine now for a second that this brand would not exist, what a bore we would have these last years....

In the end, in the -100$ segment I am only enthusiastic about :

PNSO and Eofauna, and sometimes, when they decide to do something else than Jurassic World, for Nanmu and WDragon

CollectA, Schleich, Papo and Safari are still toy brands, with very rounded animals, with "childish" paintings but with affordable prices for collectors and also make efforts in terms of accuracy (CollectA and Safari)
PNSO is above, with figurines which, contrary to what the packaging suggests, are destined at an older public and also a little more knowledgeable or demanding. Comparing PNSO with its counterpart collectA/Safari by complaining about the price, or the scientific interpretation, seems to me to be a dead end.

I'm opening my first PNSO soon, so I expect a lot of it. If I'm impressed with it, I will consider getting more. For now though, safari dominates my collection, because they are affordable and worth my money.
He who dwells in pond

Carnoking

PNSO still released a staggering 22 figures this year (+/- if I didn't miss any), so it's hard for me to feel stiffed about not getting a "Christmas release". We might even see one more before the year is out so there's that.

paleochris

Quote from: Duck on December 26, 2021, 10:15:08 PM

I'm opening my first PNSO soon, so I expect a lot of it. If I'm impressed with it, I will consider getting more. For now though, safari dominates my collection, because they are affordable and worth my money.

What is the model that you have chosen? you will tell us your impressions! but I do not see how we can be disappointed in person, really the impression that they leave is always very pleasant, much more than on the photos and screens.

Duck

Quote from: paleochris on December 26, 2021, 11:11:11 PM

What is the model that you have chosen? you will tell us your impressions! but I do not see how we can be disappointed in person, really the impression that they leave is always very pleasant, much more than on the photos and screens.
Olorotitan
He who dwells in pond

JohannesB

Quote from: Thialfi on December 26, 2021, 05:36:25 PM
That's too cute!

I think Doyle and Harvey are Christmas present enough, right?

They are in my case :-)

Bread

Quote from: Carnoking on December 26, 2021, 10:25:56 PM
PNSO still released a staggering 22 figures this year (+/- if I didn't miss any), so it's hard for me to feel stiffed about not getting a "Christmas release". We might even see one more before the year is out so there's that.
I feel like the want for a big last minute christmas release was due to the previous year's christmas release of "Winter" Wilson. That one for sure was a last minute purchase during the holidays for quite a lot of collectors.

Quote from: Duck on December 26, 2021, 11:13:12 PM
Quote from: paleochris on December 26, 2021, 11:11:11 PM

Olorotitan
You won't be disappointed. It is a great figure and I'd argue it is one of their best herbivores.

Carnoking

Quote from: Bread on December 26, 2021, 11:47:34 PM
I feel like the want for a big last minute christmas release was due to the previous year's christmas release of "Winter" Wilson. That one for sure was a last minute purchase during the holidays for quite a lot of collectors.

I think Doyle was meant to be this year's equivalent to Wilson, seeing as Triceratops is not only the obligate companion piece to T. rex but also quite possibly the second most "popular" dinosaur of all-time. And it dropped in what, early December? Meaning it could very well still make it under a lot of trees by Christmas. Harvey was a nice follow up to it but I'd be willing to bet that PNSO were intending for Doyle to be their holiday breadwinner.

SRF

Quote from: Carnoking on December 27, 2021, 12:16:17 AM
Quote from: Bread on December 26, 2021, 11:47:34 PM

I think Doyle was meant to be this year's equivalent to Wilson, seeing as Triceratops is not only the obligate companion piece to T. rex but also quite possibly the second most "popular" dinosaur of all-time. And it dropped in what, early December? Meaning it could very well still make it under a lot of trees by Christmas. Harvey was a nice follow up to it but I'd be willing to bet that PNSO were intending for Doyle to be their holiday breadwinner.

Wilson was revealed last year on December 19. Doyle was revealed on December 8 and the Iguanadon on December 17. Since it is known that T. Rex outsells every other figure, my guess is that for this Christmas, PNSO chose to release two Museum Line models compared to the one of last year.

If I'm not mistaken though, the Qianzhousaurus was released very shortly after Christmas as well. So it would be "logical" if PNSO's releases some new figures this week. But no doubt there will be a quiet period between now and the Chinese New Year.
But today, I'm just being father

Psittacoraptor

P @paleochris I agree with pretty much everything you said. PNSO models work as display pieces in a way that the lower-priced brands can only dream of. Case in point, some HQ photos of Harvey, the Mantelliguanodon:

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7670859446?pn=1

Look at all the fine detail in the sculpt, the scales and the wrinkles. Plus, the shading in the paint. When I look at this, I see an animal. When I look at Schleich, Safari, and even Eofauna, I see a toy. No other PVC brand comes close. Vitae could be good competition but there doesn't seem to be anything new from them on the horizon. Nanmu and W-Dragon have superb craftsmanship, but sadly they don't seem to be interested in scientific models. Creative Beast is fantastic, but action figures with joints aren't 100% comparable to regular figures. That leaves just PNSO. Without them, there wouldn't be much that appeals to me, except BOTM action figures, absurdly expensive resins, and a few non-dinosaurs from brands like Collecta (I find their invertebrates very appealing, unlike their dinos). I hope this will change, though. There needs to be more competition in this market segment. GR Toys has a lot of potential here. Their Carcharodontosaurus is fantastic, and I hope they will release more models of similar quality in the future.

Faras

Iguanodon finally arrived today (got stuck for 3 days cause of Covid-19). Zhao didn't talk about the skull shape in 1h 8min vid and with unstable VPN I can barely google, so I'll leave this subject to better informed folks :)

*Colours look pretty dark indoors, so I took most pics (except this one, cba moving everything :p) in sunlight to capture details.

Common issues: details behind thighs are not perfectly clear (iirc Andrea, Olorotitan and new Triceratop have same problem), tip of the tail wrapping, left hind foot can't rest on the floor perfectly.

Spoiler

[close]

This figure has top musculature, I really like the tensions in forelimb and neck muscles which give power and grace to this figure. Pose is life like, and paint is natural enough to make it look like a real animal (stripes are great, but the overall tone is too dark imho - okay in the sun, but taking some efforts to see the details in artificial lights).

Spoiler

[close]

Scales on recent releases (since Andrea, to be precise) are not as deep or clear as earlier batch of this year. Initially I was a little disappointed that new stuffs don't have as much details, but now putting Iguanodon next to Parasaurolophus, scales on Parasaurolophus start to feel like goosebumps the more I look at them. Sometimes less is more I guess, though I still hope they fix detail loss around thighs :o

PS: Depends on personal tastes, some might find left side of Iguanodon having... slightly too many wrinkles (esp on thighs) while others might absolutely love those wrinkles :D

Spoiler

[close]

Edit: check the link in Psittacoraptor's post for other stuffs in box :p

Bread

Gosh, I really do like this figure. I know I have said this many times, but it is really that price point that really pushes me away. Especially with more comparisons of other previous hadrosaurs, it just doesn't feel like this figure should be classified as "museum line."

SenSx

Thanks for the detailed review Faras!

This figure is really growing on me, I'm just curious for an explanation for the skull shape and the no cheeks.

ceratopsian

Interesting read avatar_Faras @Faras.  Always to hear impressions based on seeing the physical model.

Faelrin

Thanks for sharing all those images and your thoughts on this avatar_Faras @Faras. Unfortunate there was no explanation for the skull given. I really do feel like the quality of the paint on this Iguanodon could have been done better, especially seeing it directly side by side the hadrosaurids they've done, and again the face in particular really could have used some better blending. Come to think of it, I feel kind of the same disappointment I did with the Stegosaurus in that regard, as I found the paint detail poorly applied as well, and what makes it so much harder to stomach and accept at the price they are being asked for here. I find that most unfortunate, as the sculpts are still pretty good. In any case this will be the last I post about this Iguanodon, since I'm well aware I'm beating a dead ornithopod at this rate.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

What bothers me is the nicely smoothed and fleshed out body and throat and then the shrink-wrapped skull that looks like its been stuck on. Like its wearing a mask.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: