News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

Shadowknight1

I'm very curious how they'll do Acrocanthosaurus.  Hopefully they'll do better than Papo.  While that one looks decent, the spine is too Spinosaurus-like and the head and arms seem to be disproportionately large compared to the rest of the body.  The arms especially so.  Hopefully PNSO will have correct proportions as there is currently only one species and no reason to Frankenstein it.  I also hope they'll remember the first claw on each hand is supposed to be larger than the other hand claws, but considering they missed that detail on their Allosaurus, I'm not going to hold my breath.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 30, 2021, 12:08:59 AM
I'm very curious how they'll do Acrocanthosaurus.  Hopefully they'll do better than Papo.  While that one looks decent, the spine is too Spinosaurus-like and the head and arms seem to be disproportionately large compared to the rest of the body.  The arms especially so.  Hopefully PNSO will have correct proportions as there is currently only one species and no reason to Frankenstein it.  I also hope they'll remember the first claw on each hand is supposed to be larger than the other hand claws, but considering they missed that detail on their Allosaurus, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Claw issue aside, I'm so happy with Paul, Connor, and Gamba that if they stick to that same formula for the Acrocanthosaurus, it'll probably the best one we've ever seen.  No crazy poses, realistic skin,  and conservative coloration.  They've already shown they can make really nice theropods so unless they deviate from the formula it should be a splendid figure.  Can't wait to see it :)

Duck

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 30, 2021, 12:08:59 AM
I really hope they add lips.
If not, that's still fine. Also what are the sources for the rumored Acrocanthosaurus model?
He who dwells in pond

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Duck on December 30, 2021, 06:46:46 AM
Probably not, but, we can dream...

SenSx

As for conservative colors, well I hope they make the Acrocanthosaurus a bit flashier, like the Olorotitan.

Shadowknight1

If not, that's still fine. Also what are the sources for the rumored Acrocanthosaurus model?
Quote from: Carnoking on December 01, 2021, 04:06:48 PM
Paleofiguras shared a list of rumored releases (emphasis on the word rumored), including a
-Triceratops/Torosaurus
-Centrosaurus (that'd be awesome)
-Styracosaurus
-Acrocanthosaurus (another great choice)
-Sinraptor
-Iguanodon? (I'm not sure, the list read "I'm going to watch" but they shared a PNSO style artwork image of Iguanodon so perhaps that was autocorrect?)
-and Tsintaosaurus (with this one and the triceratops being rumored to be a part of the museum line)

Not a bad list if true! Good mix of welll-represented but always appreciated species in there alongside some under utilized animals.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Bread

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on December 30, 2021, 06:56:15 AM
Probably not, but, we can dream...
I think if PNSO made this leap it would make all their other figures not fit alongside each other, especially the therapods again. When the smaller and finer scales came along (which I do prefer) it made their other therapods look odd when put next to each other, in my opinion.

Sim

My PNSO Allosaurus has the first claw on each hand larger than those of the other fingers so I'm hoping the Acrocanthosaurus will too.

Also what are the sources for the rumored Acrocanthosaurus model?

The original source seems to have been from a moderator on a Chinese forum, and after that Paleofiguras posted it on Facebook.  Noteworthy is on the Chinese forum the Triceratops and Torosaurus seem to be separate figures.

Lynx

I'm sorry but I gotta share my opinions now that the dust has settled in here:

Iguanodon; That ain't an Iguanodon, at all. The only thing like the creature it's trying to portray is the front limbs, and even then it has pronated wrists. The head is not square-like or boxy, which is a key feature of Iguanodon. The body isn't like the creature at all and more like a hadrosaur, which is disappointing. And to finally close the dumpster, the cheeks are missing.

Marine Life: Most of the new marine releases have the same problems. Distracting seam lines on some, boring color schemes (with the Krono, which is now no longer valid, being an exception), and often times accuracy issues. Besides that, pretty good!

New Triceratops: Earthworm horns. I apologize, I can't unsee it.

That's about all I have to say.
An oversized house cat.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Oh Boy, they all look wonderful together. I have to say, that i was not that much interested in the PNSO Iguanodon. But, he looks absolutely great in your Photos. I haven't been that active recently and am a bit behind in new Figures category, but i love the work on the Pantjob. Dark, yes. But he looks so fleshy and lifelike. The shading is done wonderful. I have the Cory and the Lambeo and they look great, but the Colouration on them is nothing to what i can see on the Photos of your Iguanodon. But as always, Everyone has a personal reference on what looks good and what not. Thanks for sharing. Damn. I hope all the PNSOs of the last 2 Years are on the shelves for a bit. I am slow^^

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faras

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs My pleasure :) Yeah it looks wonderful in the sun, tho first group pic is more faithful to its indoor colours :) imo Iguanodon has top stripes - very natural and edges do blend in with background unlike others, overall feel is defo better than Cory and the Lambeo and closely behind Parasaurolophus (maybe even superior musculatures than Para) for me :)

SidB

Since it's a 2021 PNSO release, here are a few pictures of Doyle 2, alongside Doyle 1 and Safari's 2018 Trike by Doug Watson, for comparison purposes:

Shonisaurus

It is very beautiful Doyle 2021 what perhaps spoils him is the seam of his jaw, otherwise it is great. However, I like his predecessor more when it comes to the articulated jaw as I mentioned. Perhaps if it had been made without a jointed jaw it would be an outstanding ceratopsid and even unsurpassed by any brand of toy dinosaur like its cool and cool Centrosaurus PNSO 2022.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 08, 2022, 07:01:25 PM
It is very beautiful Doyle 2021 what perhaps spoils him is the seam of his jaw, otherwise it is great. However, I like his predecessor more when it comes to the articulated jaw as I mentioned. Perhaps if it had been made without a jointed jaw it would be an outstanding ceratopsid and even unsurpassed by any brand of toy dinosaur like its cool and cool Centrosaurus PNSO 2022.
yes, I think that the concern over the articulation of the jaw is a major reason that the Safari remains my favorite Triceratops, plus the cheeks too (which I prefer).  Then again, if you consider the price points, Watson's creation is a major value. None the less, I'm glad to own both of the Doyles. Fortunately I don't limit myself, necessarily, to one of a taxon, so no problem with more than one representative, as you can see.

SRF

The Triceratops is now, among other figures, for sale with quite a discount in PNSO's AliExpress store.
But today, I'm just being father

HappyHen

Quote from: Faelrin on December 22, 2021, 05:58:10 PM
avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor There is a clear visual distinction between this and the prototype. The blending on the head is much better on the prototype pics, and stripes are much sharper and cleanly applied on the prototype as well. It reminds me of what happened with the Allosaurus (the head specifically) as well, and well many others. I don't think anyone is taking the much cheaper CollectA Deluxe Iguanodon and holding them to the same standards. There is a steep cost difference. However I can also easily see why one would prefer it though, because it is vastly cheaper (in my situation), also has cheeks, and a correct skull for the genus it represents anatomically.

However going off the discussion between avatar_Faras @Faras and avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking, there does seem to be a pretty jarring difference between the domestic market prices and those international (approx $36, and $59.99 is a pretty big jump). At the base price I would consider the quality more in line with what it costs, and it is only slightly more then the CollectA Iguanodon (both Happy Hen Toys and Dejankins sell it for around $20, which are my go-to retailers in the US, not sure if Dan's Dinosaurs has it, but I doubt it would be much different), plus the addition of the box, and paper materials. It could be because of seller fee's (as far as Amazon goes, don't know about Aliexpress) and other import costs, etc, tacked onto it, but without knowing exactly why myself and others are paying for nearly double the price, I just can't accept this kind of quality, while at this kind of price point. My standards are going to be higher, and I want something that is more reflective of the prototype. Again I don't see why that is far fetched either, as both the Lambeosaurus and Parasaurolophus cost much less then this does, but also had far better applied and faithful paint apps, when compared to this Iguanodon. And from what avatar_Faras @Faras said the Parasaurolophus was slightly cheaper, likely because it didn't carry the printed materials and box with it.

In fact come to think of it, both Happy Hen Toys and Dan's Dinosaurs carry PNSO products that also share similar pricing to Amazon's models. avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen and avatar_Dan @Dan could either you perhaps please help to clarify what's going with the increase in price for those outside the domestic market? I think I asked avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen before but I think it was just in regards to the pricing of the minis. I'll have to do some digging, because I can't recall all what I asked and they responded with. I'll have to do some digging for that.
Edit: Alright found my earlier question to avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen. It was in regards to the minis. And this was their response as well. They did mention something about international shipping costs going up and affecting the pricing, but to what degree I wonder?

Happy Hen Toys replying.  Prices in the U.S. are set by PNSO.  Back in my day, this used to be called price fixing, but the courts ruled it is legal for suppliers to set minimum prices for their vendors.  Violations of Minimum Advertised Pricing result in the supplier dropping you - no more supply.  I'm not saying that PNSO is doing anything wrong - lots of suppliers dictate MAP pricing.  Also, you hear that international shipping rates have gone up - that is a reality.  We can offer direct discounts / coupon to our customers - just not public discounts to the MAP pricing.  Email [email protected] to be added to our list.  Hope this information helps.  We appreciate the opportunity to serve all you dinosaur lovers. 

stargatedalek

If they are forcing you to charge a certain price and not forcing Chinese sellers to sell at the same price, that is illegal. Allowing some sellers to sell below MAP and not others is a crime, and frankly when it falls along national borders, a pretty nasty one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: