News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Yankeetrex Art......Tyrannosaurus 3d Model Updated 6/16

Started by yankeetrex, October 09, 2012, 05:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LophoLeeVT

wow! nice progress you made really nice color sheme!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

yankeetrex

I know, I know, pronated wrists, bunny hands, not scientifically accurate, but its supposed to be faithful to the JP design....haha

LophoLeeVT

hmmmm... well i thought dilophosaurus had shoreter neck in the frnchise...
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!

yankeetrex

I did most of the base based on the concept art above, then I hybridized a little with screens from the movie and my want to create an older version since the dilos in the movie were juveniles. Mine is more of a sub adult.

LophoLeeVT

yankeetrex

Started work on this guy last night, here are some WIP shots......

The Color is very washed out because of the opverhead lighting, I'll have to take pics in natural sunlight, because it is very bright orange.  Question for all of the modelers, is there any kind of secret formula for washes?  I've had some success in the past, but some major failures. Can anyone give me some guidance as to what I should do? How many parts paint to water? Anything at all will help. I'm thinking a brown wash will work best, but I don't want to lose the white of the underbelly, I just want the brown to fill in the grooves.

tyrantqueen

I use Future/Pledge/Klear floor polish with my washes. It removes the surface tension in the water, so it will flow into cracks and crevices much better. You can also use washing up liquid to get the same effect. As for how many drops to use, I guess it just comes with practice. I know when it's enough just through lots of practice.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 17, 2016, 03:34:23 PM
I use Future/Pledge/Klear floor polish with my washes. It removes the surface tension in the water, so it will flow into cracks and crevices much better. You can also use washing up liquid to get the same effect. As for how many drops to use, I guess it just comes with practice. I know when it's enough just through lots of practice.

I've never thought to try such a thing, what a cool idea! I always just use water, and my washes sometimes don't work so well. Just to clarify, by "washing-up liquid" you mean ordinary liquid hand soap, yes?

Oh, I should also point out that your raptor looks pretty cool so far, yankeetrex :) Going for a stripey, "TLW" kind of look?

yankeetrex

Great tip Tyrantqueen! Thank you for that I will try it on a model tonight.  I have a Safari Great Dinosaurs Apatosaurus that I'm converting to JW.  It's the closest thing I can find that accurately represents the JW Apato, and its begging for wash to fill the cracks and wrinkles. if that works well, then i'll use it on the Raptor.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looking good!  I picked one of these guys for free years ago because it was 20 or pieces.  Was really tempted to repaint the whole thing but I basically just put it back together and did touch ups..kinda wish I had tried now.

yankeetrex

There is still time Blade! Haha   :))

Updated with better lighting......and the start of the black stripes

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on February 17, 2016, 04:42:52 PM

I've never thought to try such a thing, what a cool idea! I always just use water, and my washes sometimes don't work so well. Just to clarify, by "washing-up liquid" you mean ordinary liquid hand soap, yes?

Oh, I should also point out that your raptor looks pretty cool so far, yankeetrex :) Going for a stripey, "TLW" kind of look?

No, I mean the stuff you wash dishes with. It's an old school modeller's trick :)

Oh, and don't use it neat. Mix it in with some water.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 18, 2016, 05:08:06 PM

No, I mean the stuff you wash dishes with. It's an old school modeller's trick :)

Gotcha! Thanks. I try to keep informed on British terminology, but it seems some terms escape me  ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on February 18, 2016, 05:13:27 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 18, 2016, 05:08:06 PM

Gotcha! Thanks. I try to keep informed on British terminology, but it seems some terms escape me  ;D

Hah, I just realised "washing up" actually means something completely different in the US. I think your equivalent would be "doing the dishes" >:D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: yankeetrex on February 18, 2016, 04:28:54 PM
There is still time Blade! Haha   :))

lol I would but I'm almost afraid to move it..sucker is held together with super glue and hope! lol

Your is looking better and better. Are you using an airbrush? I never got around to learning to use one of those.

yankeetrex

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 18, 2016, 06:24:49 PM
Your is looking better and better. Are you using an airbrush? I never got around to learning to use one of those.

Yup, using an airbrush, i was determined to get one when I first tried painting my horizon T-rex 12 years ago and it looked like a 5 year old painted it. Its actually really easy, the only issue I run into is the air brush clogging with paint, its a huge pain to stop what you are doing and go clean it.  I use cheap craft paint watered down with windex to paint, thats probably my first problem,haha.

Please avoid superfluous quotation of images as per forum rule #8

yankeetrex

Just penciled in the eye, trying to map out the thickness of the eye slit before I apply paint.

Bad Flash Lighting

Full body shot before some eye work....

LophoLeeVT

yankeetrex

Working on this Spinosaurus bust, trying for scientifically accurate this time....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: