News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ideas for Basilosaurus color?

Started by Loon, January 15, 2021, 09:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I'm looking for ideas on what Basilosaurus would have looked like in terms of colors and patterns.

I'm thinking of getting a custom one, and considered using the Walking with Beasts model as a reference. But, I would be interested if there would be any better examples.

To clarify: I'm looking for colorations and patterns based on ecology, as that seems to be the best way to go about things.

Thanks in advance!

Stegotyranno420

A hybrid of modern orca and WWB will also be cool.

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 15, 2021, 11:35:19 PM

I don't dislike the idea, but I'd rather not have a color scheme derived from any extant whale.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on January 15, 2021, 11:40:09 PM

I don't dislike the idea, but I'd rather not have a color scheme derived from any extant whale.
True. Maybe take inspiration From the dorudont in the show?

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 16, 2021, 01:52:19 AM
Quote from: Loon on January 15, 2021, 11:40:09 PM

True. Maybe take inspiration From the dorudont in the show?
I mean, that's basically a narwhal, so it's still not what I'm looking for.

Stegotyranno420

Sorry buddy, I'm all out, next best non modern thing I got is the colors from the wwd liopleurodon

BlueKrono

I recently got the Basilosaurus pictured in hot dog bun above to repaint like the modern sinuous sea mammal the Southern Right Whale Dolphin. Simple but striking, rather similar to an orca.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Newt

It is a Basilosaurus, you know. A rich medium green would be appropriate.

Newt

Newt

Stegotyranno420

Newt

Loon

That feeling when you see your thread has new replies and most of them are completely worthless.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on January 16, 2021, 09:50:18 PM
That feeling when you see your thread has new replies and most of them are completely worthless.
"First time?"

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 16, 2021, 09:52:43 PM
Quote from: Loon on January 16, 2021, 09:50:18 PM
"First time?"

No, and definitely not the last time, I suspect. Given how dumb most things are online.

Newt

My apologies. By way of contrition, here are some sincere suggestions: a sort of harbor seal gray gradient, a caramel-macchiato version of the common dolphin pinstripe job, and a snakey saddleback pattern for the Whale That Would Be a Snake:

Stegotyranno420

Hey Loon, are you fine with emperor penguin colors?

CityRaptor

Highly color...oh, wait that thing is a mammal, so some shades of grey. Or maybe white.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.