News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First Figure?

Started by Avian, January 24, 2021, 09:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

As an adult - Battat Pachyrhinosaurus. As a kid, no idea; in my earliest memories I already had a bunch, mostly AAA, Imperial, and the like.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on January 25, 2021, 12:58:05 AM
she still likes to joke that she didn't know what avalanche she started with that.
My dad did that too. He also had no idea bout the avalanche he started, and he jokes about it too. What makes it more ironic that i used to be super attached to elephants, so my dad brought those cheaposaurs mentioned in the post i made, which only caused a bigger attachment.  :)) ;)

Libraraptor

After some cheaposaurs I do not remember,  the first "serious " figures I bought were Invicta Diplodocus and Stegosaurus.

Duna

Mine was UKRD 1992 Pteranodon. And I still have it.  :) A pair of months later, two key rings (I cut the rings) - Torosaurus and Dilophosaurus - from the Jurassic Park collection by Yolanda, a Spanish company that made very nice dinosaur figures.

Found a pic:

Dusty Wren

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 25, 2021, 03:46:50 PM
avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren - I think all three you mention are reasonably accurate, though some might find fault here and there.  I have all three but my personal favourite from them is the CollectA.  Generally I'm a great lover of PNSO's aesthetic, but I find their Microraptor not quite as appealing as the rest of their recent releases.  But I prefer the PNSO to the Safari on the grounds that the Safari is "flat" paint, and lacks the iridescent finish of the other two.

Thanks for the recommendation, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian. I was leaning toward the Collecta, so I'm glad to hear you like it. There's something really appealing about the pose and sculpting on that figure, and you're right, the iridescence is a nice touch.   
Check out my customs thread!

Mellow Stego

As a kid? Who knows. Probably some imperial brand Dinosaur or Godzilla.

As an adult man child? It would be the Xplus Styracosaurus that my wife brought home for me from a "haunted" antique store.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

GojiraGuy1954

Papo Dimetrodon / Allosaurus. I got them at the same time in 2013, eight years ago.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

JohannesB

I think my first figure was an Airfix model of Dimetrodon, as a child, about four decades ago. I have very vivid memories of that animal evoking in me a deep curiosity about "prehistoric" life. I still think the Permian is one of the most evocative and interesting Periods, especially the synapsids of that time. But it could also have been those big hollow chinasaurs (I remember Tyrannosaurus, Brontosaurus, Stegosaurus). I also had a few of those big wood skeleton figures. 

As an adult, I think it was the Invicta figures that kept me going collecting.

Varanops

Mine was a stuffed "Brontosaurus" made by my mom on an old Singer treadle sewing machine from a pattern she invented when I was around three.  That was over seventy years ago.  I miss both; especially Mom.

TaranUlas

My very first dinosaur figure was the Battat Triceratops. My mom had gotten it for my sister and apparently I just took one look at it before claiming it as my own.

My first figure that I collected as an adult was the Feathered Velociraptor from Safari. I wanted to see how it looked and the answer was very good.

Tyto_Theropod

I've enjoyed dinosaur models on and off, in various ways, probably since before I could walk, so I don't actually remember what my first figure was... 

I think it might have been Safari's little green baby Stegosaurus, which I still have, in all its glossy, lumpy, outdated glory (I love it).  My mother told me I used to play with it a lot in the bath.  I don't know if my two-year-old self had ideas of aquatic Stegosaurids, though... :))
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Halichoeres

I had mostly cheap no-name figures and three JP action figures as a kid, but as an adult my first purchase was these four:

Of course, they've all been replaced by other versions of their respective genera.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Wallnut

My first was a chinasaurs but I started my collection with schleich torosaurus.

Chubi

My first figure was a pretty common small blue T-rex, about 5cm tall ; it was given as a gift in a magazine, with a videotape of "Dink, the little dinosaur" (great cartoon btw).

The poor critter did suffer quite a bit. I remember cutting one of its tiny arms with scissor, because i was doubtful i could cut anything else but paper with scissor (so i used my T-rex as a guinea pig) ; and i also punctured the side of its skull with a toothpick to see if it would leave a mark, or regain its original form. . . But i've still got it ! Somewhere. . .

Chubi

Quote from: Varanops on January 26, 2021, 11:01:26 PM
Mine was a stuffed "Brontosaurus" made by my mom on an old Singer treadle sewing machine from a pattern she invented when I was around three.  That was over seventy years ago.  I miss both; especially Mom.

Handmade toys filled with our parent's love sure are special, ain't they ? I'll always remember the 2 wooden swords my father made for my brother and i. They sure were crude : two pieces of stake nailed together in a cross shape ; but what trully matters was the gesture. And we did play quite a bit with those swords ; but they never broke and we never hurt each other, badly. . .

Loon

The first figure I really remember owning was this Tyrannosaurus, which was made by a company called IMEX.

I'm sure I had more before it, but I can't recall getting any. I believe I got it when my parents took us to a Home & Garden show, where I think I also got a glow in the dark skeleton, too. But, I may have just seen it there...

I only really recall this because it's attached to a very embarrassing memory, you know, one of those you think of in the shower years later and scream about... It was my (insert what age I was in Kindergarten) birthday, and a girl from my class gave me one as a gift. Ever the comedian, when I removed it from the bag, I looked up and said something like "who gave me this, already have one". My irritated father quickly told me to say thank you. I still own both of them to this day, but they're in the garage along with all the other childhood figures.

The first dinosaur I got when I started collecting as an "adult" was probably Papo's Velociraptor, the grey and brownish "JP3" version. I had gotten so excited by the first BOTM kickstarter, that I knew I couldn't contain myself and wait 2 years for them to show up. I think I got that and the Pteranodon the same week, since the latter was a high school graduation gift from my sister.

SBell

My first dinos were the usual 80s UKRD or whatever.

But in my current collection, my oldest would be my Carnegie Elasomsaurus (original neck) and Mosasaurus (initial release)

Halichoeres

avatar_Loon @Loon I don't have any stories like that, nope, can't relate at all. Now please excuse me while I gibber and rock in the corner.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

avatar_Loon @Loon I have a story like that involving a Beanie Baby...

Takama

I been into Dinosaurs, ever since i was a young boy, and most of my obsession is thanks to a Computer Program called Microsoft Dinosaurs.

My First toys were those Lead coated imperials, Larmis, and UKRD's.

However, then my parrents made go to this place called School, and i met a Music Teacher who would do dinosaur themed songs each year, and when that happeed, she put dinosaurs on her Desk that were from the One and Only Carnegie Collection.

I then found out where she boght them, and my Parents boght me my very first figure from the line, the Corythosaurus. However, they told me NOT to play with it Too much, because it cost more then any dinosaur toy i owned before it.

As i grew older, more, and more figures were added from this collection. But it was not until 2010, that i discovered other Brands on the blog, and ultimatly this very Forum.

Today,  I still own that Corythosaurus, along with some of the more "Iconic" Carnegies, as well as every Species they made up until there demise in 2015.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: