News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Repaints - Revisiting the Past

Started by SidB, January 30, 2021, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

First up, I'd like to share a repaint of the old Papo Triceratops, a spin-off of the classic JP figure. I'm sure that we're all really familiar with it, it's been around a long time, waiting, waiting , waiting for Papo to issue one of their repaints. Well, that never came and I'd not hold my breath for it to be released, especially with Papo keeping such a low profile for 2021 in the dino department. Here's the original:

This was a duplicate that I'd grabbed from a thrift shop last year for $2.99, planning to use it for repainting, if Papo didn't step up to the plate. Interestingly, it differs from their original release by only (and correctly) painting the three inner toes of the front feet, instead of having all five toes painted with nails. I have an artist friend who lives nearby. His specialty is Warhammer figures, but he'll tackle other projects as well. You may have seen some of his previous work under my entries on the Favorite and Battat threads. After considering different options, we decided to use the box art on PNSO's Doyle as a model for this repaint.

Bokisaurus

SidB

Thank you;  the inspiration coming from the box art of "Doyle", it's no coincidence that I find that this piece, as well as a number of the Papo dinosaurs, display well with the PNSO's. Must be color schemes and the attendant attention to detail, I suppose.

Tyto_Theropod

Really love the colours, especially the patterns on the face, frill and horns!  They're well applied and a real improvement.  You can see a lot of texture on the figure that just isn't apparent with the muddy green factory paint.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

JohannesB

Elegant, beautiful colorscheme and nice patterns! It gives the figure a lot more character.

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod and avatar_JohannesB @Failed archaeologist, I'm quite taken with it myself. Displaying it with my PNSO's, it both fits in and stands out. My friend, Chris, did a great job with the colors and the blends, especially on the sides, though my photos don't do justice to that. He only uses brushes, no air brushing, but his techniques are great - vastly better than anything that I could do.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's an interesting and well executed colour scheme, and much more appropriate for a Ceratopsid than Papo's bland colour scheme.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 31, 2021, 03:16:27 AM
That's an interesting and well executed colour scheme, and much more appropriate for a Ceratopsid than Papo's bland colour scheme.
Completely agree - Triceratops would have been an early pick to repaint, to my mind, rather than being overlooked, as it has been.  Well, I'm kind of glad that it went this way as I'm really pleased with the result.

Shonisaurus

You have been very good with your new retouch. That triceratops has been very favored with its new repaint.

Halichoeres

Enormous improvement. I really like the reticulated pattern on the back.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 11, 2021, 10:40:01 PM
Enormous improvement. I really like the reticulated pattern on the back.
Thanks. Looking at the PNSO Doyle, whose pattern  we endeavored to capture, I think that this repaint captured the concept better, or at least more vividly than PNSO did. Glad that you found it a positive.

PrimevalRaptor

Great work, after picking this model up last year finally I really felt it could use a good repaint, there's a lot of detail hidden in the sculpt and you made it shine!

SidB

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 12, 2021, 10:11:07 AM
Great work, after picking this model up last year finally I really felt it could use a good repaint, there's a lot of detail hidden in the sculpt and you made it shine!
Well, i like acquiring new figures, of course, but it's more fun, IMO, in refreshing an older sculpt with a dramatic new paint job. I felt that this one has been crying out for this treatment for years. It escapes me why Papo hadn't yet done something more interesting with the figure, so ... this was an opportunity.

SidB

What with avatar_Patrx @Patrx 's recent posting on the New Acquisitions thread of the very fine, but quite affordable Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx, I thought that it was timely to show our upgrade of the rather mediocre factory painting of their dentition, almost always a shortcoming with Safari theropods. No complaint though, since the price is so reasonable. These upgrades do more justice to Doug Watson's terrific sculpts:

The fine teeth in the Baryonyx were especially difficult to paint, but worth the effort. The Dasplatetosaurus' teeth are now distinct at the gum level, adding to the impact of the open jaws.

SidB

Patrx

Excellent touch-ups! Doug's sculpts really deserve finer paint work than Safari's budget allows, that's what makes them so much fun to repaint.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Haven't seen that Thread before. Beautiful work! I just wrote in another thread that Dougs fantastic sculps really show their full potential when touched up or repainted :-D Great skill!

SidB

Thanks, that's high praise coming from a person of your skill. It was done by the same artist who does all of my repaints now.

Halichoeres

Definitely the level of precision these sculpts deserve.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: