News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Repaints - Revisiting the Past

Started by SidB, January 30, 2021, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: SidB on May 30, 2021, 11:30:22 AM
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , to answer your question, I'll pass along Chris' comments on it: " For the bracho, I first took a pressing of the skin texture using a product called 'blue stuff'. The I shaved down the toes and sculpted the new shape with millput. Lastly, while the milliput was still soft, I pressed the blue mold into it to recreate the skin texture." Obviously he took meticulous care to ensure a considerable degree of precision. Finally, after adequate hardening, the worked areas were primered and then repainted, carefully ensuring that the colors were exactly matched. Quite typical of his work. I  must say that his main area of subcreation is in the sphere of Warhammer, of which he has a huge and growing collection, including many modifications and innovations. I'll see if I can forward you an example of his craft.
I was able to get just such an image of "King Belegar", from Chris and am posting it as a typical example of his work.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Great improvements to both of those Papo dinosaurs 🦕
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 30, 2021, 04:28:44 PM
Great improvements to both of those Papo dinosaurs 🦕
Thanks, on both our behalves. It's very pleasing to be able to upgrade these older  figures without losing their personality. Certainly the process was a lot of fun.

SidB

Since this is my repaint thread, I thought that I'd repost these old/"new" Battat images from an older thead. They were and are meant as a tribute to the late Dan Lorusso's 2014 reissue of the original line of original Boston Museum of Science sculpts that he and Greg Wenzel created in 1994-1996-1998, along with the new releases that he made shortly before his passing. The figures below are only those that he had intended to, but that were never released for sale by Battat. We know the paint schemes since Dan had made these images available, so my artist friend, Chris, took up the commission to faithfully reproduce Dan's work, using duplicates from my Battat collection. These are for those, in particular, who had missed my original posts:

[https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49771647306_f171c8bdb7_z.jpg][/img]

Hope that you have enjoyed the glance backwards into yesteryear.

SidB

Oops, forgot one:

Lanthanotus

I wish I had duplicates of these Battats (or originals in the 1st place :D)....but these repaints are gorgeous.

PhilSauria

They do look magificent - that Triceratops looks positively psychedelic!

(I will refrain from making the comment that I have made many times in the past on seeing that Triceratops figure...)

Shonisaurus

Those repaints have been very good on you, especially I really like your dilophosaurus.

Leyster

I really like them! Such a shame that the Terra Battat line was interrupted...
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Bokisaurus

Nicely done and a wonderful tribute to what could have been! It's really a shame the line didn't continue to see the release of these group.
The ouranosaurus and styracosaurus are my favorite by far😃

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 05, 2021, 04:02:13 PM
Nicely done and a wonderful tribute to what could have been! It's really a shame the line didn't continue to see the release of these group.
The ouranosaurus and styracosaurus are my favorite by far😃
Yes, agreed, it still stings more than a bit that these never saw the light of day - so close, but now so far removed. I'm really fond of those two also!

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on July 05, 2021, 11:48:17 AM
I really like them! Such a shame that the Terra Battat line was interrupted...
Death is very, very inconvenient. Dan's final struggle was deeply moving to all of us.

SidB

Kapitaenosavrvs

Lovely! I still would love to have that Ouranosaurus. Then again, i would like a more up to Date look. But this is just nitpicking. If i will ever finish my recent Projects, trying to make an Ouranosaurus is quite on top of my imaginary List.

And man does that Maiasaura look good!

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs , it was a most enjoyable project, older color schemes and all. Maybe you could still acquire one of these on eBay. I got one of my Ouranosaurs in a lot on eBay several years ago, paying about $20 USD for it, give or take. The other one was in a thrift lot bag, for about $2.99  Canadian, so it has been possible to find deals, though these seem to be getting rarer. It's an advantage living in North America in this respect, of course.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

SidB

Although scarcely a repaint, the following does include a careful, thorough minute color matching. I was rather interested in last year's Papo release of a Chilesaurus, but highly annoyed by the pronation of its left manus, an apparently egregious error, so I held off purchasing this figure. This winter past, looking at the on screen images, I felt that this might be correctable, so I ordered one and got Chris to modify and repaint the left hand. Here is the result:

SidB

Having unpronated the left hand of Chilesaurus, the same treatment for the old Papo Allosaurus was appropriate, this time with both forelimbs. Only brass pins and crazy glue was necessary, as I found that the fit was perfect.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Great working on correcting the arms of both those figures, looks very nice and natural
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: