You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Need ideas from those knowledgeable on Sauropods re: Mattel Apatosaurus

Started by andrewsaurus rex, April 01, 2021, 06:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

I collect all my animal figures to 1/18 scale.  I have the Sideshow Apatosaurus figure, which I like, so I don't need another Apatosaurus.  However, the new Mattel Apatosaurus is too juicy an opportunity to pass up on.....it's tough finding 1/18 scale sauropods, as you can imagine.

There are a wide variety of sauropod species that have been discovered, and my knowledge of them isn't great.  Can anyone suggest another sauropod species I could use the Mattel Apatosaurus for?  One that was around 65 feet long (20 meters) with shortish front legs, and a not very long neck or tail.  I'm capable of doing a bit of modification to the figure, with sculpey, so I could change the head shape a bit, add body armour or a tail club or any other such alterations to the body.  I could shorten or lengthen the tail somewhat etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

You could use it as a Brontosaurus, they were quite similar after all

By the way have you got the PNSO Huanghetitan? That's roughly 1:18 scale
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

andrewsaurus rex

thanks for the heads up on Huanghetitan......I'll check it out!  :)

as far as the Mattel Apatosaurus goes i'm thinking about turning it into a diplodocus.   D.carnegie is 79 feet long, which is 52.6 inches in 1/18.  The Mattel Apatosaurus is 41 inches long, so i'd have to lengthen the figure by about 11 inches.  4 in the neck, 7 in the tail I figure aught to be right.  Torso looks to be ok in size as does the posture...hm.

i'll have to check out the head to make sure it will do, won't be perfect but I can probably live with it...hm.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.