You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What became of largest Pachyrhinosurus skull found in Horseshoe Canyon in 2014?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, June 06, 2021, 04:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

In 2014 a 2 to 2.5 meter long Pachyrhinosaurus skull was found in the Horseshoe Canyon formation.  At the time it was considered to probably be the largest skull yet discovered.  It was uncertain at the time whether the skull belonged to P canadensis, P. lakustai or some new species.

I haven't been able to find any more information on it, other than its original discovery back in 2014.  Does anyone know more about it?  What species it turned out to be?  How large it actually was etc?

andrewsaurus rex

Unable to find out any more information on the skull, I went straight to the source.  I emailed Darla Zelenitsky at the University of Calgary and asked her. 

Her response: "I believe it is species canadensis. The incomplete skull is 1.5 m so probably 2 m in total. Cheers, Darla"

So, as expected it was indeed canadensis and not lakustai or some new species.  Size of 2m for such a short frilled skull means it had a massive cranium, probably rivaling Triceratops.

It was so great of her to take the time to respond to my email  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.