News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Mammals by AAA (Lots of photos)

Started by Ikessauro, November 03, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

When I started to browse this forum in it's early days I've noticed an interesting collection of prehistoric mammal figures. They were sort of obscure to me, because the manufacturer, AAA, doesn't distribute the collection very widely neither they advertise it online. You don't see many stock photos of the models and there's not much info about them anywhere. Even on Randy's Dinosaur Collector page the info is very scarce;
All I know today about the models is based on my experiences hunting them down.
The company sells them in small quantities directly to stores and most of the ones that get these lots are from Europe, including Germany, UK and Italy. If I'm not mistaken some German museums use to sell these models. I don't really remember seeing them selling on this side of the Atlantic, except on Ebay, where they show up costing way too much (the mammals I mean). The dinosaurs are not very good, they are very old school, but the mammals made by this company are excelent on my opinion. As far as I'm aware of, there are five different species of mammals, each made in two versions, a small one, around 15 cm long, and a larger one, twice the size of the small models.
It seems to me that the small ones are made of solid rubber or PVC, while the bigger models are hollow. As you can see in the following pictures, the big figures are not exact copies of the little ones, they all have distinct sculpts.
So, took me a bit to complete my set, but here they are. I have to mention that without the help of fellow forum member Helge, a.k.a. postsaurischian, I would not have completed the set, so thank you again for such great help.
The prehistoric mammals made by AAA are Wooly Mammoth, Entelodont, Hyaenodon, Wooly Rhinoceros/Coelodonta and Smilodon. I must say that while 3 of the animals are very original sculpts, both Entelodont  and Hyaenodon are based strongly on BBC's Walking with Beasts design, not that this is a bad thing, I particularly like them as they are. The small models are the most common, the Mammoth and Smilodon can be found very often on Ebay Uk for reasonable prices, either alone or in dinosaur lots. Coelodonta also shows up on Ebay Uk for low amounts. Entelodont and Hyaenodon are the most sought after and thus hard to find and expensive. Dinotime.de had them on stock, but I don't know if they still do. The bigger ones are tricky to get. As they are big, usually they cost more and if you're buying from a seller who knows that they are collectible and is trying to earn some with the deal you're gonna pay high amounts. Even with the help of my dear friend Helge I spent at least 20 Euro on each, maybe more. Nothing compared to a Battat, but they're not cheap either.
I don't know the year of release, so, if anyone knows it or whatever else about the collection, post a comment.
Enough talking, enjoy the photos.
The whole collection

Entelodonts

Entelodont Large

Entelodont Small

Hyaenodons

Hyenodon Large

Hyaenodon Small

Coelodonta/Wooly Rhinoceros

Coelodonta Large

Coelodonta Small

Smilodons

Smilodon Large

Smilodon Small

Mammoths

Mammoth Large

Mammoth Small

SBell

The rhino, mammoth and smilodon show up in Canada (both sizes) quite frequently.

Jetoar

I like the Hyanodon and Entelodon. I have a lot of figures of AAA but I dont have these  :-\.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

Great collection

i do have all the small ones
it's time to collect the big ones

a very very nice photo shoot

i do like youre collection

and yes. here in holland i know 2 places were they sell them

1 is a museum and the 2nd one is a zoo
The Return Of The Mammoth's

Jetoar

Quote from: STORMnlNIJMEGEN on November 03, 2012, 11:06:13 AM
Great collection

In Spain is the same situation.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ikessauro

Great guys, so far it's as I tought. Most of the distribution stays in Europe. Nice to know that Canada has some, maybe can facilitate the "hunt" for other collectors. They are sold in several countries, yet they don't really appear online. That's what makes them harder to get.

I didn't know they were sold in Canada, but I remember buying a Smilodon from SBell once. Funny thing is that each of us used to call them differently according to the sizes, while I just say LARGE or BIG for the larger ones, SBell called them Jumbo or something like that. I bought a Smilodon from him, which he listed on his sale thread as BIG or LARGE, thinking I'd get the larger version, and got the little one. Haha, anyways, I kept the figure, didn't bother me that much and the model was in very good condition, besides in part was my mistake not to ask the measure of the figure before buying, as well as the price was very reasonable. Now I got a pack of Smilodons :))

That's another reason to make these threads, to create references to collectors who don't really know the models. Having lots of photos helps because you can show the photo to people and ask for that specific model. Now, keep bringing info in here guys, each piece of data we can gather is valuable..

Arrancon

What scale are the small Hyenodon and Entelodon figures in? I'm thinking about buying them when I find them on e-bay for a resonable price, but I don't want something thats too out of scale from 1:40 or 1:24.

SBell

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 03, 2012, 01:46:17 PM
Great guys, so far it's as I tought. Most of the distribution stays in Europe. Nice to know that Canada has some, maybe can facilitate the "hunt" for other collectors. They are sold in several countries, yet they don't really appear online. That's what makes them harder to get.

I didn't know they were sold in Canada, but I remember buying a Smilodon from SBell once. Funny thing is that each of us used to call them differently according to the sizes, while I just say LARGE or BIG for the larger ones, SBell called them Jumbo or something like that. I bought a Smilodon from him, which he listed on his sale thread as BIG or LARGE, thinking I'd get the larger version, and got the little one. Haha, anyways, I kept the figure, didn't bother me that much and the model was in very good condition, besides in part was my mistake not to ask the measure of the figure before buying, as well as the price was very reasonable. Now I got a pack of Smilodons :))

That's another reason to make these threads, to create references to collectors who don't really know the models. Having lots of photos helps because you can show the photo to people and ask for that specific model. Now, keep bringing info in here guys, each piece of data we can gather is valuable..

Yeah, sorry about that--our catalogues listed it as a 'large'.  The other ones are apparently jumbo; I didn't even think of the discrepancy (kind of like when a restaurant only has medium and extra-large drinks).

Ikessauro

Quote from: SBell on November 03, 2012, 04:52:29 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on November 03, 2012, 01:46:17 PM

Yeah, sorry about that--our catalogues listed it as a 'large'.  The other ones are apparently jumbo; I didn't even think of the discrepancy (kind of like when a restaurant only has medium and extra-large drinks).

Not a problem, it was an honest mistake. Let's forget about it.

stoneage

Nice collection!  I don't have them all but here are my AAA Prehistoric Mammals, Gallimimus and Chick Yuet Synthetoceras.

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on November 05, 2012, 02:11:10 AM
Nice collection!  I don't have them all but here are my AAA Prehistoric Mammals, Gallimimus and Chick Yuet Synthetoceras.

So you're one of the ones with a Synthetoceras!

I still have 2--I should sell the spare for a whole lot but I keep thinking I have some need for it (plus 2 Starlux synths) . Seeing as I just got laid off work... :(

stoneage

Quote from: SBell on November 05, 2012, 02:15:35 AM
Quote from: stoneage on November 05, 2012, 02:11:10 AM

So you're one of the ones with a Synthetoceras!

I still have 2--I should sell the spare for a whole lot but I keep thinking I have some need for it (plus 2 Starlux synths) . Seeing as I just got laid off work... :(

Yes, I bought that one from you.

stoneage

stoneage

JohannesB

Quote from: STORMnlNIJMEGEN on November 03, 2012, 11:06:13 AM
Great collection

I am curious, which zoo and museum would that be? I spend some time in the Netherlands each year, so maybe I can go visit them :)

Ikessauro

Oh man, that Synthetoceras is beautiful, it's on my list of things to find since the first time I saw it.

SBell

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 05, 2012, 01:17:22 PM
Oh man, that Synthetoceras is beautiful, it's on my list of things to find since the first time I saw it.

I've often wondered--in total, I think I found 5 or 6 of them. as anyone ever found more, anywhere else? Chick Yuet went out of business, but they must have made lots of these things (I found the set in two very  separate cities).

And if I do let my second one go...it won't be cheap. I'm just saying. :-\

Ikessauro

Quote from: SBell on November 05, 2012, 01:41:11 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on November 05, 2012, 01:17:22 PM

I've often wondered--in total, I think I found 5 or 6 of them. as anyone ever found more, anywhere else? Chick Yuet went out of business, but they must have made lots of these things (I found the set in two very  separate cities).

And if I do let my second one go...it won't be cheap. I'm just saying. :-\

Anyways, no matter how much, if you decide to sell, send me a PM first.

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: