News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I hope the new coloration based on the old King T. rex is available for the lipped model too. Even without lips, what a major improvement this new sculpt is over that model. Hopefully it has much better stability too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 06:44:31 PM
Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 06:11:45 PM
Well a 14 meter long T. Rex wouldn't be accurate at all. Wilson is based of AMNH 5027 and is about accurate to represent that specimen in 1:35 scale, but is actually a bit on the large size even. Kiss and Tusk would be a lot bigger than an accurate 1:35 representation of larger specimens like Sue and Scotty, which are all still under 13 meters long. Also if the head of Kiss and Tusk is the same size as the Killer Queen Rexes, 1:30 would be about the accurate scale for representing Sue's head. 

I don't mind that these Rexes are a bit bigger and I'll probably get both to display them together. But I won't display them next to Wilson because they are simply not in the same scale.

I don't like the sound of this because I don't want giant dinosaurs that won't pose with anything else.  I crunched the math and according to what you are saying tusk and kiss will be about 14% larger than Wilson 2.0.  That might be too much for me and it's not a question of money, I'd pay the same price for a 1/35 scale version.  Why is Rebor pushing bigger pieces is this something you guys prefer?

I think the main target audience of Rebor favors bigger models. But I don't think many of them are found here.
But today, I'm just being father

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Faelrin on January 27, 2022, 06:47:33 PM
I hope the new coloration based on the old King T. rex is available for the lipped model too. Even without lips, what a major improvement this new sculpt is over that model. Hopefully it has much better stability too.

You'd think it'd be stable, especially given the position of the feet.  They haven't even shown us a frontal image but I can tell from the 3/4 view how far apart (width-wise) the two legs are.  Wide enough to drive small car thru them! 

This is a common issue with theropod figures.   ATM, PNSO seems to be the only company attempting to rectify this wide stance engineering problem.  Even the Eofauna Giga has the legs a bit too far apart for a normal walking motion.  I know why manufacturers do this.  They do this to create stability in the model (laterally?) so the figures won't fall sideways, but it's not correct regardless.  And ironically by placing the legs in this fashion they create (dorsal?) instability from front to back making it more likely that they'll fall on their faces.  Walk in the mud, snow, or sand and you'll see how close together the foot prints are from side to side, bipedal animals don't generally walk with their legs very far apart unless I remember when my kids were really little and they had a full diaper they would walk like that, LOL.

I should call this FDS or 'full diaper syndrome'  :))

Faelrin

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS Yeah I really like PNSO's solution of adding stands with rods to support the torso. Wish more companies would do that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

If this figure has FDS, I might use some hot water, warp them to be closer to the body, and then craft my own PNSO-styled support rod for it if the figure can not stand
An oversized house cat.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

SUE and Scotty and Trix are already very large specimens of Tyrannosaurus, most are much smaller. I think it's highly unlikely it could get more than a smidge larger. Its a lot more likely imo that Plateosaurus sported a full coat of feathers than it is for Tyrannosaurus to get another few metres longer.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Fenestra

I have 4 cabinets filled with dinosaur figures from every company, but I have only 1 T-rex in my collection.
The feathered CollectA, because that's the only one that aesthetically pleases me.
And that one is going to be replaced with "Kiss".

Finally a Tyrannosaurus with lips, bulk, attitude and a face I love.
Pretty colours too.
I'm in love.  ;D

JohannesB

Just for fun, a little digital bending of the tail.

Duna

For me, tyrannosaurus has to be large. And as I dislike everything of I don't plan to buy Wilson 2.0. or display it with any other tyrannosaurus, my only problem is which color to choose. And also if they do each version in only one colour, because I'm nearly sure I'll buy the lipped version. But for the color and that part I need to watch some reviews or pictures.
I have the Nanmu rex, that is a nice figure more JP styled, but it has a very small head, and that bothers me and also I want it more chunky in the chest and body so if I buy the Rebor, it'll go out. I'll still keep the Safari version because I like that feathered figure a lot, too.

edu

The lipped version reminds me a lot of Mark Witton's rendition of a scaly t-rex. Feet and arms look more accurate in Winter Wilson? Probably, but I like it a lot.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 06:22:57 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 27, 2022, 04:12:18 PM
Ooooh, interesting call back to their King T. rex. I still prefer their lipped version but their non-lipped version works with those colors soooo well.

I hope Rebor starts to produce more scientific models like this from seeing how much hype this figure is bringing to at the moment.

^^^THIS, so far first Eofauna and then PNSO have used the CADs to produce molds.  Everyone else needs to catch up and some manufacturers might die out, but others will adapt and new ones will be born.  In the next five years the prices on these scanned CAD molds is going to drop as more manufacturers convert to the new technology.  PNSO is not really challenged by anyone ATM because Eofauna just doesn't produce that many figures.  It's up to Rebor, Mojo, Papo, CollectA, and Safari to adapt and rise to this new standard.  I for one hope they all survive and that they begin to collectively give PNSO a run for their money.  PNSO prices are out of control right now because they basically have a monopoly on this new scientifically and technology driven development.  If a big manufacturer like Rebor can't help level the playing field then we'll be paying $200 dollars for new PNSO dinosaurs before you know it.

I highly doubt CollectA has hand-sculpting their figures for a long time, given they have pretty uniform scale detail and symmetry. I think by the time they switched from Procon they began 3D modelling. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2021 Safari Ltd Spinosaurus's mystery sculptor was also using CADs.

Honestly, I think I prefer CADs over hand-sculpted figures. Though the latter makes it feel more heartfelt, it often leaves artifacts or smudges depending on the materials used. Hand-sculpting is a hell of a past-time though. I love doing it myself, but for most situations, I wouldn't/couldn't make my own definitive version of a species, y'know?
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 28, 2022, 05:54:10 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 06:22:57 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 27, 2022, 04:12:18 PM
Ooooh, interesting call back to their King T. rex. I still prefer their lipped version but their non-lipped version works with those colors soooo well.

I hope Rebor starts to produce more scientific models like this from seeing how much hype this figure is bringing to at the moment.

^^^THIS, so far first Eofauna and then PNSO have used the CADs to produce molds.  Everyone else needs to catch up and some manufacturers might die out, but others will adapt and new ones will be born.  In the next five years the prices on these scanned CAD molds is going to drop as more manufacturers convert to the new technology.  PNSO is not really challenged by anyone ATM because Eofauna just doesn't produce that many figures.  It's up to Rebor, Mojo, Papo, CollectA, and Safari to adapt and rise to this new standard.  I for one hope they all survive and that they begin to collectively give PNSO a run for their money.  PNSO prices are out of control right now because they basically have a monopoly on this new scientifically and technology driven development.  If a big manufacturer like Rebor can't help level the playing field then we'll be paying $200 dollars for new PNSO dinosaurs before you know it.

I highly doubt CollectA has hand-sculpting their figures for a long time, given they have pretty uniform scale detail and symmetry. I think by the time they switched from Procon they began 3D modelling. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2021 Safari Ltd Spinosaurus's mystery sculptor was also using CADs.

Honestly, I think I prefer CADs over hand-sculpted figures. Though the latter makes it feel more heartfelt, it often leaves artifacts or smudges depending on the materials used. Hand-sculpting is a hell of a past-time though. I love doing it myself, but for most situations, I wouldn't/couldn't make my own definitive version of a species, y'know?

A hybrid of human sculptor and human using CAD technology might bear the ultimate results in the long run.  The great masters of the renaissance didn't have computers but they definitely used high level mathematics, specialized tools, light box technology, and three dimensional grids.  They didn't just up and mold something with their bare hands, everything was calculated to the last detail and when they made a mistake in their calculations they'd learn and start it all over again.  A human with computer assistance could work on something in a large scale where the artist would benefit greatly in his/her ability to add exquisite details while maintaining impeccable proportions and the human factor you called 'heartfelt' could be retained.  Then using computers that large piece could be miniaturized which would retain both the human's contribution along with the precision of the machine. 

IDK, but machines will always make things too perfect unless programmed otherwise.  No animal in nature is perfect, even mighty T-Rex would've had some asymmetry and some odd features particular to that individual.  One lion might have a slightly larger head on the same size body or larger paws or a slightly longer tail etc.   A human artist would be better able to capture those imperfections because we live with them everyday so we understand what looks realistic and what looks too perfect.  In the early days of computer animated films they learned that making the characters perfectly symmetrical was a mistake, audiences had a hard time connecting to those characters.  Once they started dabbling with a formula to creat minor imperfections, like one ear is slightly lower or a tooth is a bit crooked or whatever, that's when audiences began connecting with the characters more. 

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: JohannesB on January 27, 2022, 10:02:24 PM
Just for fun, a little digital bending of the tail.

It's amazing what a big difference that little sag makes.  Someone posted that the last 3-4 inches should be able to have some curve put into them so we'll see what difference it'll make once we get these in hand.

The black face is starting to grow on me more but I still prefer the other scheme.

Shonisaurus

I honestly know that comparisons are hateful but I honestly like Rebor's Kiss tyrannosaurus more than Wilson's for several reasons.

Its size must be much larger than that of PNSO.

Its sustainability does not need support to stand as it does with PNSO figures like Wilson.

Its modeling is great and its details are hard to beat by other brands.

The paint details are sublime.

On the other hand, although it hurts me, those articulated body parts provide more beauty to the figure of the tyrannosaurus Beso de Rebor.

And it comes with a luxurious presentation with a wonderful box with a business card of the product although obviously without the book or scientific explanations that its PNSO counterpart has accustomed us.

Honestly I also find it very scientific with lips and although I don't understand paleontology it seems superior to the tyrannosaurus Wilson from PNSO regardless of the fact that it is an outstanding figure, well packaged in a luxury box, scientifically accurate, with top quality paint details but compared to the Tyrannosaurus Beso de Rebor is in a lesser position, from my honest and above all humble point of view, taking into account that I am just a simple amateur collector ignorant of paleontology, although I am enlightened with books and above all, not knowledgeable about the anatomy of dinosaurs or prehistoric animals like many members of DTF, the tyrannosaurus Rebor seems superior to me.

SRF

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 28, 2022, 12:46:39 PM
I honestly know that comparisons are hateful but I honestly like Rebor's Kiss tyrannosaurus more than Wilson's for several reasons.

Its sustainability does not need support to stand as it does with PNSO figures like Wilson.

On the other hand, although it hurts me, those articulated body parts provide more beauty to the figure of the tyrannosaurus Beso de Rebor.

And it comes with a luxurious presentation with a wonderful box with a business card of the product although obviously without the book or scientific explanations that its PNSO counterpart has accustomed us.

Honestly I also find it very scientific with lips and although I don't understand paleontology it seems superior to the tyrannosaurus Wilson from PNSO regardless of the fact that it is an outstanding figure, well packaged in a luxury box, scientifically accurate, with top quality paint details but compared to the Tyrannosaurus Beso de Rebor is in a lesser position, from my honest and above all humble point of view, taking into account that I am just a simple amateur collector ignorant of paleontology, although I am enlightened with books and above all, not knowledgeable about the anatomy of dinosaurs or prehistoric animals like many members of DTF, the tyrannosaurus Rebor seems superior to me.

PNSO theropods don't need the supporting rod to stand as well. If I'm not mistaken, Rebor also adds supporting stands for some of their figures (like the GNG T. Rex). That PNSO supplies the little stands with their figures, is just a measure to prevent warping that happens to a lot of figures over time. Safari's T. Rex and Rebors Killer Queen Rexes are all figures which suffer from this kind of issues after displaying them for a longer period. Wilson in fact doesn't, because it has a support rod.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SRF on January 28, 2022, 01:20:47 PM

PNSO theropods don't need the supporting rod to stand as well. If I'm not mistaken, Rebor also adds supporting stands for some of their figures (like the GNG T. Rex). That PNSO supplies the little stands with their figures, is just a measure to prevent warping that happens to a lot of figures over time. Safari's T. Rex and Rebors Killer Queen Rexes are all figures which suffer from this kind of issues after displaying them for a longer period. Wilson in fact doesn't, because it has a support rod.

Rebor's acrocantosaurus has sustainability problems at least mine, that's true, but the Rebor tyrannosauruses that I have fortunately don't suffer from sustainability problems although it's true what you say that the Rebor GNG tyrannosaurus have support bars and also It is true that many PNSO figures do not have sustainability problems even without the support bars that PNSO brilliantly provides.

I hope you do not take it the wrong way, all this opinion that I express in this writing is a personal opinion but in no way have I intended or intend to offend any follower of the PNSO figures of which I am a faithful follower as I am a follower of the rest of the brands of toy dinosaurs and better said in this case PNSO as Rebor rather belong to the most serious collectors to consider them mere toy dinosaurs.

What I said I apologize to anyone who felt offended, it was not my wish and it is just an opinion and what you say about the sustainability of the Rebor dinosaurs and the PNSO is totally true, although in my case for aesthetic reasons at first glance I I like the Rebor tyrannosaurus more without denying at all the supreme genius of the PNSO dinosaurs whose figures are many of them the best of their each species on the market, for example centrosaurus or styracosaurus or parasaurolophus or tarbosaurus to give several examples.

SRF

No apologies needed avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus :)

I do feel that Rebor's Kiss is a superior model to most theropods of other brands as well by the way. That doesn't mean that I suddenly dislike those figures, which seems suddenly an issue for some ever since Rebor released the promo images of their new T. Rexes.

I actually hope that Kiss and Tusk come with a support rod like PNSO's theropods so stability issues can be prevented. I find PNSO's solution for that actually very clever and it is something other brands can learn from.

Shonisaurus

avatar_SRF @SRF Of course, the PNSO solution is extremely intelligent since many theropod figures, unfortunately, although they have a good point of support, sometimes give way, as happened with the Rebor acrocanthosaruus, the PNSO yangchuanosaurus or the Nanmu tyrannosaurus to give three examples (for own experience) the PNSO brand is extremely detailed in this aspect with us, its clients put rods to hold their figures.

I like the Rebor figures although I am not in favor of having detachable or articulated parts but many times, as is the case with the scientific tyrannosaurus rex nicknamed Beso, as well as the smilodons of the same brand, it gives them a much more majestic appearance than if they were not they had

It would be good if Rebor Kiss's tyrannosaurus also came with some holding rods as it happens with most of the figures of theropods and bipedal animals or with sustainability problems of PNSO in this case it is better to take precautions, as I say "it better be about missing" and in this case taking precautions so that the figure does not have manufacturing defects is something necessary not only for customers but also for the success of a brand, be it PNSO, Rebor, Nanmu, Safari or any other brand .

Everything you are saying is true, thank you for your words.  :)

Callophrys

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 07:45:17 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on January 27, 2022, 06:47:33 PM

You'd think it'd be stable, especially given the position of the feet.  They haven't even shown us a frontal image but I can tell from the 3/4 view how far apart (width-wise) the two legs are.  Wide enough to drive small car thru them! 

This is a common issue with theropod figures.   ATM, PNSO seems to be the only company attempting to rectify this wide stance engineering problem.  Even the Eofauna Giga has the legs a bit too far apart for a normal walking motion.  I know why manufacturers do this.  They do this to create stability in the model (laterally?) so the figures won't fall sideways, but it's not correct regardless.  And ironically by placing the legs in this fashion they create (dorsal?) instability from front to back making it more likely that they'll fall on their faces.  Walk in the mud, snow, or sand and you'll see how close together the foot prints are from side to side, bipedal animals don't generally walk with their legs very far apart unless I remember when my kids were really little and they had a full diaper they would walk like that, LOL.

I should call this FDS or 'full diaper syndrome'  :))

Excellent points, and ones that I hadn't considered. Looking at my own theropods (PNSO, Nanmu, GR Toys & Eofauna) I can see that you're  quite correct. I'm going to excuse the wide stance in those that have it by imagining that they've stopped walking and have moved their feet apart for stability (probably prior to roaring at the luckless plant-eater they're about to attack  ;)!).

I don't own any Rebor figures, as I don't really care for any of them, but I'll be buying 'Kiss' as soon as it's available! My only small nitpick is the feet, which as others have said should look more like those of a ratite (Eofauna's Giganotosaurus is perfect in this regard, with PNSO's not far behind). A minor quibble however which won't stop me buying it.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on January 28, 2022, 01:20:47 PM

I purchased Gamba, Paul, and Connor during black Friday sales.  And I've just received chubbysaurus in the mail and none of them require the plastic rod to stand.  The most unstable is connor and I'm embarrassed to admit I have no idea where to put these support rods.  It seems that when I try to push them into position they make the figure fall down sideways.  PNSO doesn't provide and instructions as to where on the model they should be fitted and short of including a custom formed plastic brace a the top to hug the chest/arm area, I'm completely clueless on the placement of these rods. 

So either I'm raising up the figure a a fraction of a millimeter by forcing it underneath the figure or it's basically just sitting in front of the figure doing nothing.  I'm not saying I want PNSO to provide a hole in the figure for the rods to insert into.  But it might be helpful if a custom vacuu-formed type brace that would straddle the chest/arm area where included with the rods.  The round base at the bottom doesn't need to be as big in diameter as I often find myself running into the toes of the figure before the rod is in position to lend any actual support to the figure. 

Long story short, I've become so frustrated with the rods that I never use them and to keep Connor from falling sideways I pin him against the glass of my case on one side and against one of my four legged dinosaurs on the other side.  It's basically all I can do to keep from falling.  The included rods in PNSO kits have been a huge dud in my experience, so much so that I didn't even bother to assemble the one that came with chubbysaurus and he has no stability issues whatsoever with his huge feet ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: