News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/11±1 Smilodon populator

Started by blnadal, June 24, 2021, 01:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baby Sinclair

Quote from: blnadal on November 08, 2021, 04:28:39 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on November 08, 2021, 09:25:00 AM
Quote from: Bread on November 07, 2021, 08:16:40 PM
avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO is this the only planned cenozoic prehistoric mammal you will be doing?

Also, off topic, PLEASE take a look at what some have been commenting about the Alligator's scales!

A dire wolf, a short-faced bear, a cave bear, a Gigantopithecus and a giant prehistoric grounded bat, that's about it. There won't be any herbivores which means you'll never see a woolly mammoth from us ;)
Will it all be the same 1/11±1 scale?

My question exactly!

I purchased both Stray Cat colour variants available in the UK from Everything Dinosaur and am so pleased with these stunning cats. I am not one for scientifically accurate figures but those that are aesthetically pleasing and can say that these solid figures are lovely additions to my collection. The only 3 minor gripes are 1. that the seam is not at all disguised on the left side when the open jaw head is attached (, this won't affect those displaying their cats from the right or facing forward), 2. the top k9s on both open jawed heads are slightly asymmetrical as the right is curved slightly inward while the left tooth curves outward slightly/is straighter, and 3. not all feet lay flat on the shelf.

I have heard of people applying heat to sort out the latter 2 issues, is there a thread or YT video to instruct the inexperienced (such as myself) in how to do this?

As I said though, these few minor flaws do not detract from the awe felt when admiring my pair so I recommend these wholeheartedly. Meanwhile, I am so looking forward to the other prehistoric mammal pieces coming from REBOR in the future.  ^-^
Roberta forever <3

Blade-of-the-Moon

Big Bad Toy Store seems to finally have received the Smilodon in stock, just received a charged email this morning.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just received "Diego" from BBTS today.  I have to say Rebor did a killer job here. This is one big heavy hunk of plastic. Eye catching, great paint and details.   My biggest complaint is I don't know which head to use.  I kind of wish there was two different bodies maybe a reclined version with the closed mouth?   This is easily my favorite "Sabretooth" in my collection at the moment.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you, great smilodon figure as I said in other DTF posts is without a doubt the best smilodon ever made by a toy dinosaur brand. It must be very interesting to change its head and the good thing about this, as I mentioned earlier, that it does not have articulated jaws and that is why obviously Rebor made those two interchangeable heads, I also wish they had added two bodies apart from the head, it would have been interesting a body in perfect movement in a threatening attitude and in a position to jump on the prey, for example on two legs and held by pegs that would serve for the head of the smilodon open and another with the body that Rebor markets that would be more suitable for the head closed of the smilodon.

Grimbeard

If only its scale would be at 1:25 - 1:30, this is by far the best smilodon in a still somewhat reasonable price range and the idea with the swapable heads is a nice alternative for articulated jaws.

For me, cat models are particular hard to "get right", most of them and Smilodon have uncanny heads that always feel "off". I think its because we (or at least I) are so familiar with how a real cat looks like. Its the same reason why almost all hominid figure look either really goofy or scary to me

This one looks like a proper big cat, props to Rebors on that.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Took more pics in my display area. Not sure which I like better.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2022, 11:30:22 PM

A killer diorama that is! Where did you get the caveman figure?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 17, 2022, 04:47:55 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2022, 11:30:22 PM

A killer diorama that is! Where did you get the caveman figure?

Thanks!  It's Tumak from the StarAce /X-Plus One Million Years B.C. set.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2022, 04:53:03 PMThanks!  It's Tumak from the StarAce /X-Plus One Million Years B.C. set.

Bit of a rare piece this side of the Pacific. Diamond Distributors entire order of the Allosaurus/Tumak set slid off the side of a cargo ship in a heavy storm, and went into Davey Jones collection. Literally hundreds of canceled pre-orders followed, once Star Ace and Diamond came clean about it.

Sideshow did get some, but most of them ended up in the cold abyss.

CityRaptor

A rather interesting story if you think about. Wonder if any of those will ever wash ashore or find their way back to the surface otherwise.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

That Smilodon is trying to make him even more rare..tartar even...

If the container was sealed it would be a long time before it degraded enough for anything to fall out of it.

Over9K

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 17, 2022, 06:48:35 PM
A rather interesting story if you think about. Wonder if any of those will ever wash ashore or find their way back to the surface otherwise.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2022, 07:10:52 PM

If the container was sealed it would be a long time before it degraded enough for anything to fall out of it.

My theory is that, sealed container or not, the pressure would probably be sufficient to squish both the Allosaurs and the Tumaks into small vinyl raisins, provided they went down in deep enough water.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on January 17, 2022, 10:49:42 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 17, 2022, 06:48:35 PM

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2022, 07:10:52 PM

My theory is that, sealed container or not, the pressure would probably be sufficient to squish both the Allosaurs and the Tumaks into small vinyl raisins, provided they went down in deep enough water.

Honestly that's if it even happened at all. It wouldn't surprise me it was dumped, left somewhere on a dock, or never made at all. There are all sorts of things that can happen... I just don't know with these places anymore.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well it's different. I hope all these repaints aren't a sign it's not selling as well as hoped.  I like my Plain piece.

suspsy

Quote from: blnadal on February 02, 2022, 03:34:41 PM

This looks ridiculous. It's one thing for Creative Beast to colour their dinosaurs after modern birds and reptiles, but this just looks like an ugly mutated tiger.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 02, 2022, 05:26:04 PM
Well it's different. I hope all these repaints aren't a sign it's not selling as well as hoped.  I like my Plain piece.
Wouldn't a lot of repaints mean it's selling well?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

Look I get it is an old paleo meme (because of the misnomer of calling them "sabre-tooth tigers"), but I think the tiger one actually looks beautiful even if there isn't any sense in it, but then again I just love that combination of black stripes, orange, and white. Same reason I love TLW raptors so much. In fact it reminds me of an old texture mod I used to use for the Skyrim sabrecats way back when the game was still new. I'm actually tempted to get that one, but then again the cost (if the previous ones are any indication) and shelf space/out of scale are big issues. That said it should be roughly to scale with their in progress dire wolf/Aenocyon, which I'm also tempted to get because unless I get very lucky with Safari Ltd releasing one this year, I can only wonder how much longer I must wait for a modernized take on one of my favorite prehistoric mammals, even if cost, space, and scale concerns are still present.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Patrx

To me the weirdest thing about this sculpt has always been the apparently non-retractile cheetah claws. Smilodon just ... doesn't strike me as a fast sprinter  :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: