News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Titanoboa Falling Apart?

Started by Ikessauro, June 28, 2021, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

So, today I was cleaning my displays and grabbed my Rebor Titanoboa to inspect and appreciate the piece. It was wrapped around the prey crocodile it came with just sitting inside a display case, glass shelf behind closed glass doors, away from heat or other harmful things (I believe).

I noticed the paint on the model had start to crack up, specially around the bends where the paint was supposed to stretch. several small paint cracks appeared all over the snake.

So far so good, I thought. I might have to repaint it someday, but that is not too bad, because when I straightened the model, the paint cracks closed. But then I turned my attention to the head of the model and there was a split in the rubber in one side, like it had ben ripped apart. I barely handled the model, just recorded a review, took a few pictures and left it there on display.

I then contacted a friend of mine to ask if his copy of this had the same issue. The paint in his model is ok, but the rubber is cracking underneath the snake.

So, long story short, the rubber the Rebor Titanoboa is made of has a quite short durability and will eventually disintegrate. Think about that before spending hundreds of dollars on eBay for a copy of this model.

I'm pretty sure Rebor new this would accur, so they decided not to produce it, but then we collectors begged for it, they made a short run and quit production, knowing that in a few months the models would start to break down.

indohyus

Just inspected mine and have none of these issues, and it's been displayed since I got it. I put it through a similar display and review shoot as you, so not sure what to say on that.

stargatedalek

And yet I have bendable toys that are 20+ years old and still in good condition despite years of being played with. I still don't understand why these ended up being so fragile.

andrewsaurus rex

probably sub standard materials were used.  Either Rebor or the factory cheaped out and used crappy quality plastic.  I too have (inexpensive) bendy toys that are very old with no cracking or paint issues.

Flaffy

I guess the "thermoplastic rubber" used isn't as durable as Rebor thought.

Ikessauro

Maybe avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO can shed some light here. Is there any way to prevent this damage? I am not sure if climate is a factor. My town is located in southern Brazil, here we have a pretty humid weather most of the year, despite being warmer in summer. I suppose this could have something to do with dry air condition, but since we have some pretty humid conditions here, I am puzzled that this is happening.

My friend I mentioned earlier also lives in Brazil, so weather might have something to do with it. Here's a picture of his model.

indohyus

Climate could be a factor. I'm in the UK and have no such issues.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Ikessauro on June 28, 2021, 06:10:31 PM
Maybe avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO can shed some light here. Is there any way to prevent this damage? I am not sure if climate is a factor. My town is located in southern Brazil, here we have a pretty humid weather most of the year, despite being warmer in summer. I suppose this could have something to do with dry air condition, but since we have some pretty humid conditions here, I am puzzled that this is happening.

My friend I mentioned earlier also lives in Brazil, so weather might have something to do with it. Here's a picture of his model.

Sorry to hear that! Temperature is a main factor, some collectors displayed their copies in cabinets with spotlights and found out that they all cracked the very next day, a collector from LA stored his Monty in garage and told us that it cracked after a heat wave. Our own copies here in London are still OK.

andrewsaurus rex

if climate is a factor it sure shouldn't be...

stargatedalek

How is it that Safari ltd. was able to make bendy figures (older Wild Safari Pteranodon comes to mind) that have last for over 20 years with only the expected paint wear despite being played with and kept in in-optimal conditions, but these things are falling apart tucked away on display shelves after less than a year?

Ikessauro

Quote from: Flaffy on June 28, 2021, 05:18:27 PM
I guess the "thermoplastic rubber" used isn't as durable as Rebor thought.

Not nearly as much. Had I known that beforehand, would most definitelly not have bought one.  :(

Ikessauro

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 28, 2021, 06:32:46 PM
Sorry to hear that! Temperature is a main factor, some collectors displayed their copies in cabinets with spotlights and found out that they all cracked the very next day, a collector from LA stored his Monty in garage and told us that it cracked after a heat wave. Our own copies here in London are still OK.

I do not use spotlights in my displays, so the weather must be it.

Considering how long it took between the time the first concept of this figure was unveiled and the actual release of the item, I thought you guys had solved any issue or at least tested the model in different conditions to ensure the durability.

You might consider doing that for future models that deviate from the usual pvc plastic most dinos are made from and warn us in the packages and or item descriptions online that it is prone to destroying itself by just sitting on a shelf.

Invicta Hunter

I imagine the same thing will happen to the Rebor figures that have bendable tails. This is why i haven't bought any, it was the first thing that came to mind.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on June 29, 2021, 02:44:41 AM
I imagine the same thing will happen to the Rebor figures that have bendable tails. This is why i haven't bought any, it was the first thing that came to mind.

The tails aren't nearly as bendy as Monty, I think he was meant to be super poseable like a real snake. Pretty cool, but yeah flawed if this is how they end up.  Oddly it might make a perfect condition one even more valuable/rare.

andrewsaurus rex

except that there is no guarantee a perfect condition one will stay that way. 

Now that I've found out that these figures have zero durability, I wouldn't pay $10 for one, even if in perfect condition.  Heaven knows what condition these figures will be in 5 years from now.  They may completely crumble apart.

Shonisaurus

My opinion, it is not necessary to force the articulated figures of a dinosaur or a prehistoric animal in this case the titanoboa, I received mine thanks to everythigndinosaur to which I am indebted to him and eternally grateful and I wrapped the crocodile inside the titanoboa, I articulated my mouth and I have not forced his joints again. I received this figure if I remember correctly in August shortly after the tragic death of my father and since then I have not touched it or forced its position and when I buy ceratopsids from BoTM from everythingdinosaur (I have a medusaceratops and kosmoceratops planned) I do not plan to force much the figures and I do the same with all the figures with articulated parts jaws, tails (flange), the articulated figures are very beautiful but they have their counterpart, which is what has happened to you, they are more likely to deteriorate, especially due to use and because Overly flexible joint material unfortunately takes its toll. That is one reason that I am not a fan of articulated figures in any of the ways as I have already pointed out in other posts.

The best option if you have a good bank account is to buy resin figures, at least ten times more expensive than PVC figures but much more resistant and the material is obviously more noble. The good is often expensive.

ITdactyl

If they really used the same material as 1/6th scale replicas, then I'm not surprised this happened.

I owned a SW Stormtrooper and a John Wick Hot Toys replica. I'm not really into human replicas, but they were given as bribes, err, I meant gifts. 'Displayed them in a non-airconditioned room, and we're in the tropics.
Checked both figures because I was about to sell them, and noticed that John's arm felt crumbly under the jacket. Me being the idiot in removing clothes from these "dolls", I ended up causing more damage - but yeah, the damage looks exactly like those Monty pics... plus a massive tear across the upper arm because of my carelessness.  The new owner just bought a 3rd party replacement arm. ;D

I'm inclined to believe it is due to the heat... but I don't really have proof. Just sharing a story since it was mentioned above that Monty and those figures are made of the same material.

Faelrin

Yeah there was lots of discussion about this issue before the figure shipped out. Definitely worth taking the time to research how to properly store Hot Toys figures as they are comparable.

I can try to find the relevant thread and posts and add it here later. I do recall heat is definitely an issue as is exposure to sunlight.

Anyways I checked mine but no cracks to be seen yet. I have mine displayed/wrapped around my Mattel Brachiosaurus in a corner. Not fully dim either except winter months (or the day is cloudy/rainy which is frequent here). I keep my blinds closed 24/7 as well. I also try to keep the house temp at 68-69F. Obviously being over 90F makes that quite hard so inside temp is typically mid 70sF then. My room is also located on the second floor. Apartment has poor insolation as well.

No my biggest issue is the dust and hair on it (because of having cats in my room from time to time) and I'm not fully sure how to properly clean it off without damaging the material. This was an issue day 1 opening it up as it sticks to it unlike plastic figures. Guess I'll need to research that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SenSx

After reading that post I just checked on my and what a surprise, big cracks on the part I bent the most.
I did not notice before, as you can't see where I placed it.

I did not play that much with the figure, just the time to find the pose I liked the most.
I live in France, not under a very warm climate, summer can be hot though, but this year has been very soft so far, and definitely not a humid environnement.
I can repaint his easily I guess, but I'm worried the issue might get worse and worse, it's been only a year.
Maybe I should change it's pose to release the pressure on its neck, but I really love how it stands right now  :(
I can definitely live with how it is right now as long as it does not get worse, the cracks getting bigger and bigger, and having it falls appart.
Maybe I can fill some material into the cracks to hide it, but it could also gets things worse ? The material could add more pressure and aggravate the issue ? I don't know...
I don't plan bend it in another way anyway...
Did not see any other crack anywhere else.

Definitely not worth the price I paid if the figure can't survive long, and you can tell crap materials were used here, false advertising.

Megalosaurus

Mine looks still fine and its wrapped around the crocodile.
I live in a wet hot climate at 34-37 celsious degress, 60% air humidity. I have mine on a shelf, with no direct light, and exposed to the air.
I'm sorry for those having issues.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: