You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Anybody bought the Safari Feathered Tyrannosaurus recently?

Started by Leyster, July 15, 2021, 02:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

As title, I kinda want to get that figure but, since is some years old, I'm worried about quality control. Has anybody got it in the last year or so?
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Stegotyranno420

I saw it in my local Michaels,  and I was shocked to see actual figures in my city . It looked good as far as quality and paint goes. But I'm in America so if you are from a different country or even state it may be very different for you

Dinoxels

Quote from: Leyster on July 15, 2021, 02:32:28 PM
As title, I kinda want to get that figure but, since is some years old, I'm worried about quality control. Has anybody got it in the last year or so?
I heard that recent production runs don't chip their paint as easily anymore. I would get it directly from Safari's website.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Dinoguy2

I have a sample that's relatively recent. The browns and grays are definitely not blended as nicely and seem more sectioned compared to first run samples, but nothing major that would be noticibly bad looking. It obviously looks worse if compared against an original, but looks fine on its own.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Creature

I got mine about 2 years ago, and it looks pretty good to me.

Sue at work by M W, on Flickr

However, I'd say don't get it from Amazon. They shipped it in a padded envelope, and it arrived with feathers broken off. I exchanged it 2 or 3 times before I gave up and ordered from someone I knew would use a box.

Similar story with my PNSO microraptor. That one didn't even get an envelope, they just stuck the label right on the shrink wrap. I was shocked it wasn't crushed when it arrived.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Shonisaurus

I have bought it, you are already several years old and honestly it has not had problems of any kind. I bought it from urzeitshop.de

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 19, 2021, 10:49:38 AM
I have bought it, you are already several years old and honestly it has not had problems of any kind. I bought it from urzeitshop.de

The thing to look for is the black date stamp on the bottom. Sometimes you can get a figure several years after release and it looks perfect, but you actually just got old stock if the seller never ordered new stock from later production runs.

I'd be curious to see paint jobs from different production runs based on the production date.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shane

I'm not sure of the actual dates of transition, but there should be two "versions" of the Feathered Tyrannosaurus Rex (not counting the Dino Dana repaint).

The main difference is in the overall stance of the figure and the red bumps along the top of the figure's nose.

In the earlier versions, the figure is positioned more forward, and the bumps were more subdued in their color.

In later (newer) versions, the figure's stance is more "upright" to aid in stability, and the red bumps are more vibrant in their coloration.

The transition in the paint may not have happened exactly at the same time as the change in the stance, so there may be some crossover there.

The more recent runs would likely have improved paint that's less likely to chip.

As mentioned by Dinoguy, the way to be sure if you have an older or newer version is to check the date stamp, a 4 digit code that details the month and the year, usually found on the bottom of the figure's foot.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.