News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

La Brea, New NBC sci-fi series

Started by Dynomikegojira, July 24, 2021, 03:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomikegojira

Well call this a surprise it looks like we're gonna have a show that's like Lost with ice age creatures. The premise is interesting in that a massive sinkhole opens up at La Brea that somehow lead to a prehistoric world filled with creatures including what may be a teratorn and a dire wolf among other things.

https://www.ign.com/articles/la-brea-season-1-teaser-trailer-nbc

Blade-of-the-Moon

Interesting. Certainly different than just the run of the mill dinosaurs.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

Looks good. But I am not a fan of the characters.  Could be a bit more like Lost with the cast. I could imagine Locke or Sawyer fighting off sabertooths or Teratorns

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I really hope we get a paleozoic based show

Dynomikegojira

My only ask for this series is that they should treat this as a miniseries because I don't see this lasting more than 2 seasons.

ITdactyl

Episode 1 is out.
It's giving me "Terra Nova" vibes, even though the story beats are different.  Dysfunctional family drama, estranged dad who knows more than he's letting on, helicopter mom, hormonal son, head-strong daughter with physical disability. 2 settings, present day Los Angeles and the world in the sinkhole.*  Acting is.. uh.. next topic please...
*not the official description from the show.

CGI swings from nice and iffy between shots.  Fur and feather textures are okay.  Teratorns have the classic giant vulture depiction, with a slightly awesomebro head. Aenocyon have the classic giant shaggy wolf depiction. Smilodon looks okay, but we were only given a peek.

I am intrigued at the premise and will follow the show, but only for the story resolution and the animals. Have to admit that none of the characters in ep1 captured my attention.

andrewsaurus rex

after watching the first 2 episodes i'm disappointed but not surprised.  I didn't think this would be a great series, even though the premise is good.

The main problem for me is the characters.  So far I don't really like any of them and find several annoying.  However, it may just be the growing pains of a new series.  The goofy plot line with the father who is somehow telepathically connected to the prehistoric La Brea environment is dumb.  So is the dumb specially designed in only 2 years aircraft they plan to take into the past.  Aircraft take a decade to develop, especially with leading edge technology like ducted fan.  Why not just use a specially outfitted Black Hawk or Chinook?

There also seems to be an incredible lack of fauna.  If you plunked a whole bunch of people down in the middle of Africa, there would be animals everywhere.  Animal sightings on La Brea are few and far between.

I was hoping the special effects would be better, they are only so-so in my view.

I guess the wolves in the first episode were supposed to be Dire wolves?  I thought Dire wolves were the same size as modern wolves.  Those on the series were much larger.

Anyway, I plan to stick with it and hope it improves.

dragon53

Gwangi

Wow, I thought this thread was dug up to announce that the show was canceled. Anyone here actually watch the entire 1st season?

Primeval12

Carnoking

I couldn't even finish the first season of this thing...

Abobo

Stargate SG1 meets Terra Nova with shitty FX... no thank you

bmathison1972

I have been watching La Brea, but I think I am a few episodes behind this season. It's fun mindless fodder. I describe it as Lost but with worse acting and less-interesting characters. But it's kinda fun!

dragon53

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: dragon53 on February 01, 2023, 01:03:27 AMNBC renewed LA BREA for Season 3.
Color me surprised I was shocked that it even got a season 2 and now this.

andrewsaurus rex

yeah me too........it's kinda fun but the plot has a zillion holes in it.  And how come most of the men in 10,000BC are clean shaven?  Did they all happen to be carrying weeks worth of razor blades when they fell into the sink hole?   :)

EmperorDinobot

This show looks so...unappetizing...

Dynomikegojira

Apparently this will be the last season so yep time to say goodbye. Lasted longer than several more superior shows but that's just me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: