News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Removing Permanent Bases

Started by Lynx, September 24, 2021, 07:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Recently I've been wondering... am I able to remove permanent bases with a knife? I've done this before with BOTMs habitat pack nests (in order to get a lone egg) and it worked quite well. I've been making some support rods recently with the question of "Can I remove CollectA figures from their bases?"
If so, I was planning to hold them up using those rods. I strongly dislike bases because of how much space they take up and how they sort of ruin the figure for me. Is this a good idea to remove them? Have any of y'all done it before?
An oversized house cat.

Fenestra

I have removed the base from the CollectA Carnotaurus and Bistahieversor with succes.
I carefully cut underneath the plastic of the feet with a super sharp blade to get it seperated from the base. Now and then I would try to get a screw driver under the feet to wiggle around a bit and carefully lift the feet of the base. Then back to the knife again. It's really hard to do.
It took a long time. And a lot of blood, sweat and tears. And a lot of cursing too.
But it can be done.
Just take your time and don't force it.

stargatedalek

Treating them with hot water first makes the plastic easier to cut safely.

As for using support rods, some figures are able to balance just by leaning on one if the base is shaped just right, but otherwise you can always cut up extra length of rod and glue it across like a cross beam, picture a free standing bird perch.

Lynx

Is there any cheap knockoff figure with a permanent base I can practice on?
An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lynx on September 24, 2021, 08:12:32 PM
Is there any cheap knockoff figure with a permanent base I can practice on?
After shipping buying KO's of something like CollectA is almost as expensive as the real deal, not really a point.

What you can try however, is birds. Local dollar stores likely have sets of farm animals which usually contain at least a chicken if not a duck too, almost always these would be made fused to permanent bases.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.