You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Why prehistoric fossils are mostly males

Started by dragon53, October 26, 2021, 12:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

So in short the answer is that: Men Male mammals are dumb!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

I was confused until I caught it was about mammals specifically, that makes sense. Heightened aggression due to testosterone leads to risk taking and higher mortality rates, plus in the case of mammoths while living on their own leaves males less desirable to predators it means they don't have the benefits of herd care and knowledge, making them much more vulnerable when ill and more likely to die of accidents or environmental conditions.

Papi-Anon

PBS Eons did a special on this called "Why Male Mammoths Lost the Game". Pretty interesting how herds lessened the mortality rates of young and females by sharing learned experiences and cooperative living just as some modern mammals do.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Duna

So basically just the same as those Facebook or Youtube compilation videos titled: "Why men do live less than women" ...  :))

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.