News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

If only the Collecta model did look like the Melbourne reconstruction ...

I wonder if anyone really likes that warpaint (the frill looks more like a sun umbrella) that Collecta applies in most figures. Maybe is more like using that in every figure they can like Papo uses the cowboy pose so it's a recognisable mark of the brand? I don't know.

Gwangi

I usually don't like CollectA's warpaint but I actually do like it on the Triceratops. I think it's because of the unconventional white/yellow/brown color combo.

suspsy

I like the Triceratops just fine. I'd much rather have that colour scheme than the new Doyle's dull-as-dishwater one.

I've posted my brief review of the Smok:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182558221885212/permalink/3022782121196137/
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DragonRider02

Quote from: Duna on January 24, 2022, 10:11:10 AM
I wonder if anyone really likes that warpaint (the frill looks more like a sun umbrella) that Collecta applies in most figures.
I like it and 99% of the warpaints on CollectA figures.

Renecito

Quote from: Duna on January 24, 2022, 10:11:10 AM
If only the Collecta model did look like the Melbourne reconstruction ...

I wonder if anyone really likes that warpaint (the frill looks more like a sun umbrella) that Collecta applies in most figures. Maybe is more like using that in every figure they can like Papo uses the cowboy pose so it's a recognisable mark of the brand? I don't know.

Love that reconstruction. And I don't like CollectA's warpaints at all.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Pliosaurking

Apart from the aforementioned nipple scales on the frill and the quills, I still think it's a nice model

JohannesB

A very nice model. A pity about the pronated forelimbs, the overly contrasty warpaint and the quills. 

Sim

Quote from: Flaffy on January 24, 2022, 01:02:38 AM
Would've preferred if CollectA based their sculpt closer to the Melbourne Museum reconstruction instead.
Not a fan of the nipple scales on the frill, and I don't think there's evidence for such integument too. (iirc frill impressions don't show the nipple-scales seen on the body)
Same goes for the Psittacosaurus-like quills. I don't really understand the reasoning behind CollectA continuously giving their derived ceratopsids this feature.

I don't understand why CollectA continously puts the Psittacosaurus-like filaments on the back of their ceratopsids when the filaments are on the tail in Psittacosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on January 24, 2022, 04:27:07 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on January 24, 2022, 01:02:38 AM
Would've preferred if CollectA based their sculpt closer to the Melbourne Museum reconstruction instead.
Not a fan of the nipple scales on the frill, and I don't think there's evidence for such integument too. (iirc frill impressions don't show the nipple-scales seen on the body)
Same goes for the Psittacosaurus-like quills. I don't really understand the reasoning behind CollectA continuously giving their derived ceratopsids this feature.

I don't understand why CollectA continously puts the Psittacosaurus-like filaments on the back of their ceratopsids when the filaments are on the tail in Psittacosaurus.

Kind of a trademark..or maybe hallmark is the word?

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Sim on January 24, 2022, 04:27:07 PM

Because it's a nod to the evolutionary history of ceratopsians, which is especially useful when you're making toys that are meant to be educational (if a child asks about the filaments, it's an opportunity to talk to them about Psittacosaurus and evolution and related taxa).

It's also an aesthetic choice that visually sets CollectA's ceratopsians apart from the dozens of other ceratopsians on the market.

Which is also, incidentally, probably the reason for the warpaint. The fact that we're referring to CollectA's warpaint means it's a distinctive enough trait to be associated with a brand.
Check out my customs thread!

Sim

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 24, 2022, 04:47:14 PM
Because it's a nod to the evolutionary history of ceratopsians, which is especially useful when you're making toys that are meant to be educational (if a child asks about the filaments, it's an opportunity to talk to them about Psittacosaurus and evolution and related taxa).

Psittacosaurus didn't evolve into any ceratopsid, it only has four fingers on each hand while ceratopsids have five.

Dusty Wren

I didn't say that Psittacosaurus evolved into anything.

CollectA is suggesting that the tail filaments were a feature of a common ancestor of both Psittacosaurus and later, more derived species, in the same way that Psittacosaurus and Triceratops both have pointed jugal bones.

I doubt every single ceratopsian in the late Cretaceous would have retained the tail filaments over millions of years of evolution, but again, CollectA seems to be making an aesthetic choice here. 
Check out my customs thread!

suspsy

I posted a brief review of the Spinosaurus on Facebook for anyone who is interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2417144643/permalink/10160526426684644/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on February 03, 2022, 12:23:02 AM
I posted a brief review of the Spinosaurus on Facebook for anyone who is interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2417144643/permalink/10160526426684644/

Nice pics, it's pretty impressive.

suspsy

Fembrogon

I'm warming up to it a little more with those photos and that summary. It's still not quite gelling with me, but it does look like Collecta did a good job with it.

Skorpio V.

Anyone else feel like the new CollectA Spino looks like a Safari figure, while the new Safari Spino looks like a CollectA figure?
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 03, 2022, 06:20:31 AM
Anyone else feel like the new CollectA Spino looks like a Safari figure, while the new Safari Spino looks like a CollectA figure?
Nah the safari spino looks like a procon figure
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shonisaurus

Honestly together with the edmontosaurus, the Collecta spinosaurus is the best of the Collecta brand this year.

suspsy

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: