News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tamiya Dinosaurs

Started by CityRaptor, November 16, 2012, 12:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

As we all know, Tamiya did two series of Dinosaurs. One with Retro-Dinosaurs ( which probably were not retro at the time of their original release ) , and a Diorama Series. 
So far I only have the Velociraptors from the Diorama Series., as I got them cheap.

I also have a question regarding the Parasaurolophus. I know Tamiya discontinued it. Which bases does it connect to ( and where ) ? I guess T.rex, Triceratops and Chasmosaurus, as those are Late Cretaceous Dinosaurs aswell.

I also kow that one base does not connect with the others. My guess there would be ofcourse Brachiosaurus, which seemingly was intended to start a Jurassic Diorama. Any Info on that? ( I think Stegosaurus and Allosaurus would be likely candidates )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Ikessauro

Hey, could you guys tell me if these tamiya models are hard to assemble? I mean, kits usually can be rated from simple to assemble to level expert or something like that. I tought of buying these tamiya but never did, afraid that I would not be able to finish them.

amargasaurus cazaui

I can state for certain the Tyrannosaurus, Parasaur, Triceratops, and Chasmosaurus all connect. I do not have the base for the Brachiosaurus to state for certain but I was led to understand it as well connects.
  All of the dinosaurs themselves are simple builds and go together rather quickly and easily. That is to say they just are not that hard to put together.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Jetoar

I have only the T-Rex and I would like to have other figures of thus collection  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 19, 2012, 04:40:09 AM
Hey, could you guys tell me if these tamiya models are hard to assemble? I mean, kits usually can be rated from simple to assemble to level expert or something like that. I tought of buying these tamiya but never did, afraid that I would not be able to finish them.
I have the Brachio, Chasmo, and Para. I can say they're very easy to assemble, you only need glue (plastic cement) to assemble them really (and some seam filler and/or putty, but for the most part the seams are pretty good). I bought and assembled mine when I knew almost nothing about modelling.

You only need to apply glue, line up the plastic parts, hold them together till they dry, and you're done :)

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

I got them all and yes they are very easy to connect

4 are fitting togehter 1 is replaceble with a nother

i think when they made these,,they want to make more

the bases are fitting very good to the other one

got also the extra pack velociraptors and the pack with the extra animals

btw,,i have glue all together,,(not the base, but the dino's

and they are for sell our trade

exept the brachio,,i need that one ,,fit's perfeckt to the new papo brachio
The Return Of The Mammoth's

postsaurischian

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 16, 2012, 12:10:58 PM
I also have a question regarding the Parasaurolophus. I know Tamiya discontinued it. .......

As far as I know the Parasaurolophus hasn't been discontinued :-\.

stoneage

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 19, 2012, 08:29:03 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 16, 2012, 12:10:58 PM
I also have a question regarding the Parasaurolophus. I know Tamiya discontinued it. .......

As far as I know the Parasaurolophus hasn't been discontinued :-\.

The Parasaurolophus was released in January 1994.  I have also read in several places that it has been discontinued for several years, including a Tamiya site.  However it says here that it was restocked October 16th 2012.  http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-60103-tamiya-parasaurolophus-diorama-p-5540.html

CityRaptor

The Tamiya Site would be here:
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/category.php?sub-id=15000
https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=60103

So some very conflicting Info here.

I thought that it would be better to be safe than sorry and ordered a Para, alongside one Set of Mesozoic Creatures.  Since I plan to get the whole series at one point anyways, I can aswell make those two my second and third sets.
Oh no

brontodocus

HLJ regularly have them in stock and normally restock them rather quickly once a set is sold out. Fortunately, they are still around. I have them all including the Velociraptor Pack and the Mesozoic Creatures set. And I can confirm what the others wrote: The fit of parts is excellent and the buildup is very easy. Joining the four bases to build a big one is a different thing, though - if you want to get rid of the seams were the parts meet a lot of putty (and sanding) will be required where the corners of four bases corners meet at the middle or you'll have a hole there which won't look nice. Replacing the plastic water "surface" of the Triceratops diorama with clear resin will also look better. :) But the extra work is really worth it, you get a base of approx. 50*20 cm which looks great. And I've been using it for many of my photos like this one:

...or this one. Or fun stuff like this. :)
The crocodile in the photo is also from the Tamiya Mesozoic Creatures set.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Ikessauro

Thanks guys, I'll try to get these tamiyas soon. I've been wanting to try my hand on a model kit, but would not like to ruin an expensive resin kit. This is a safer choice.

CityRaptor

Well, the Brachiosaurus is kinda expernsive, due to size.  If that is your first time, I would say it is best if you get yourself one of the middle-sized Kits, like Tyranno, Trike, Para or Chasmo.  The Raptors and Mesozoic Creatures might be cheaper, but they are harder to paint due to their small size.

Or you could get yourself one of the Tamiya Prehistoric World Series. Those are the cheapest and at the same time roughly the same size as their Diorama Counterparts. Ofcourse they have no Diorama Parts and are a bit retro.
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist/?SeriesID=1299

@brontodocus: That is exactly where I got my Kits.

@STORMnlNIJMEGEN: One of the reasons why I share your opinion regarding the other Kits. Why make 5 when only 4 can combine? Other reasons are that the Brachio does not fit due to being Jurassic and that the Prehistoric World Stego did not get a remake, despite it being one of the most popular herbivorous Dinosaurs. Also the lack of Infant Triceratops, making it the only large dinosaur with no Infant.
Oh no

Mark1

I have all the Tamiya Diorama Kits, though I've only built two... am working on the T-Rex and Triceratops as we speak. The building is straight forward with great fits and extra legs for walking or running options. Also T-Rex has option of open/close mouth and walking/running. The Brachiosaur comes with a base BUT... the base is the Parasaurolophus base... I wish they sculpted a completely different base for the Brachio, but I guess in terms of saving money.... How do you post pictures on here? I'd like to show you my 2 built ups.... :}

CityRaptor

You load them up on an Image Hosting Site, then post the link and use the Image Option.

So Brachio and Para have the same base? This is indeed odd unless the Brachio was planned as part of a second series.

Also found out something interesting about their Prehistoric World Series: There was a Pteranodon!

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=265540
Oh no

Mark1

Thanks for the info.... As I am a tad slow in the area of computers ( Son.... whats this??? ), I'm not really sure what an imaging hosting site is or how to use one..... ( Don't laugh.... )
A Pteranodon! That's really cool! Love the "shadow" figure of a person. I'm guessing that the round thing that looks like a sharks head is something the Pteranodon balances on...... Where'd you find the Pteranodon? As I have all the diorama kits I should get the Prehistoric World ones. I actually have the Stego, no box, just the kit. Rather primitively sculpted. Wouldn't that be neat IF Tamiya made a 2nd series....Stegosaurus, Allosaurus..... sigh.... oh what could've been.....

CityRaptor

The "Shark"-Thing actually is the Pteranodon's belly. While I don't own a Tamiya one, I have some others and  it seems to be common to make the belly separate from back and wings.

I don't know when the Prehistoric World Series was oiriginally released, but they are probably from the Seventies. Edit: Just read 1981!
A lot of the older Dinosaurs model kits seem to get re-releases at some point.
I only found out about the Pteranodon by conincidence.

Ofcourse there being plans for a 2nd series at one point is not confirmed, but I think it would explain  a lot things.
Oh no

Mark1

Yup.... My wonderful son helped me with these pics.... I wonder what other dinosaurs might be in the Prehistoric World series??? Enjoy!

ajax

^^ thanks for posting the pics Mark, they look great. I was about to ask if anyone had finished the Para so I could have a look at the finished build up. I just bought the Para and will set it up with the baby Para that comes with the smaller mixed Tamiya set.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ajax on January 31, 2013, 04:17:25 AM
^^ thanks for posting the pics Mark, they look great. I was about to ask if anyone had finished the Para so I could have a look at the finished build up. I just bought the Para and will set it up with the baby Para that comes with the smaller mixed Tamiya set.

Thought I had posted this before..might have been awhile back though :

Mark1

Wow! Nice job on the 3 Paras! :}

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: